SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Donuts - where art thou?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Donuts - where art thou? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

97 percent of independent donut shops in California are owned by Campbodians just like 97% of Dry Cleaners are owned by Koreans and 97% of nail salons are owned by Vietnamese
There is a donut / bagel shop in the Florida Space Coast area, owned by some Asian folks. Not sure which country, but I would guess Korean.

The donuts are OK. The bagels are a sick joke. The only resemblance to a real bagel is that they are a bread-like substance with a hole in the middle.

Just about every Cambodian donut shop in California can trace their lineage to just one Cambodian, Ted Ngoy, nicknamed the Donut King. He learned how to make donuts, run the donut shop, and proceeded to share that knowledge with his country people making himself rich. Interestingly, Cambodians never ate donuts before. I’m sure they do now as it’s provided the money to feed their family and send their kids to school.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-54546427.amp

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19697 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Konata, if you are down around Modesto there are a couple good choices depending on what you’re looking for.

Posts: 6375 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Konata, if you are down around Modesto there are a couple good choices depending on what you’re looking for.

Thanks! I used to go there several times a year but lately not so much. I go through Manteca frequently though.

Looking for donuts with nice texture and taste - not too sweet. Not big on glazes and coatings.

I like crullers and regular sugar donuts. Old fashioned and cake are good too. LOVE choux cremes provided everything is fresh made from scratch like a bakery would.

Basically, I like and will eat almost anything as long as it's fresh, not too sweet, with good natural taste and texture. But I will usually go for crullers first. Apple donuts and apple fritters also yummy.

Eh - just tell me where to go. Doesn't matter what I'm looking for. Especially now - I'm desperate for anything good. I'm not picky at all now Smile

The problem w/ donuts around here - not tasty. Stale, oily, limp. Texture is all wrong. And drenched in sugary glazes. It's like syrup with a side of donut. And some places just don't look hygienic at all.

I'm going to take a drive tomorrow and check out Marie's.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12751 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live around the corner from Stans and they have the best donuts around. Family owned and open up a 6 AM with people lining up that early.

The menu changes daily but the for the price, taste, and freshness haven't found a better place in my life.

Only thing I don't like it's cash only which is a pain for me since I don't really carry cash and have to scrap it together or go to a ATM first.

My favorite is the Boston Cream, then the French Cruller, and the Butter Milk.

Posts: 968 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think I used to go there although I don’t really remember it. It’s been a long time but i think it used to be a two step - Willy’s and Stan’s. If it’s the same place, if I recall correctly, back then they were good but not unusual. Today, definitely exceptional compared to what is typical. It’s not convenient to visit anymore.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12751 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
If I travel a little further, Marie's Donuts in Sacramento is the reigning champion - oddly enough owned by a white family that has been at it for 50 years, two locations.

Marie’s in North Highlands is the safest place in all of North Highlands.

On the backwall is a plaque designation it North Highlands Police Department headquarters. All the LEO who work that area hang out there some time during their shift.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It’s quite the drive so didn’t make it to Marie’s this time. Tried a place called Manley’s instead. Convenient to route I was taking, at least somewhat. Better than other places of late but still not hitting the bar. Crullers were sub par but the basic sugar donuts were okay with decent texture. I’m going to try to hit Marie’s on the next trip.

Why are donuts, bagels, pizza and bread/pastries/bakeries all seeming to be going downhill in America? Seems like they should get better over time.

posted Hide Post
No such thing as a donut I wouldn't eat so I can do KK but its not my thing. I like the chain Duck Donuts.

Pricey but I don't get donuts much so I don't mind paying for what I like.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My son went to school at Emory and lived in Decatur, Georgia. Whenever we visited him, we’d go to Revolution Donuts.

Best donuts I’ve ever had. http://www.revolutiondonuts.com/#welcome

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
There is a donut / bagel shop in the Florida Space Coast area, owned by some Asian folks. Not sure which country, but I would guess Korean.

The donuts are OK. The bagels are a sick joke. The only resemblance to a real bagel is that they are a bread-like substance with a hole in the middle.

The only bagels I've found that I really like were the ones I got when in the New York/parts of New Jersey area on business.

Those were outstanding.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
In my area, Dunks is king, but there are many good local shops that each have their own take on their donuts.

Especially now that Dunks no longer makes their donuts in house (they are all mass produced and trucked in "fresh"), the locals have been doing better business.

We had a Krispy Kreme open and close a few months later. I only stop if the hot-n-fresh sign is lit, otherwise I find them hardly edible.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

The only bagels I've found that I really like were the ones I got when in the New York/parts of New Jersey area on business.
Mostly true. I was born in Brooklyn, where there are mom & pop bagel shops all over.

Moved to Florida 37 years ago, good bagels are not easy to find.

There was one franchise chain, Manhattan Bagels, that had a pretty decent product, but they were absorbed by the Einstein Bros chain, and the new bagels are nowhere near as good.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30716 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
My son went to school at Emory and lived in Decatur, Georgia. Whenever we visited him, we’d go to Revolution Donuts.

Best donuts I’ve ever had. http://www.revolutiondonuts.com/#welcome

Revolution is excellent. I also nominate Sublime on 14th street in Midtown, N of GT campus. The orange star is worth every calorie.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2365 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Especially now that Dunks no longer makes their donuts in house (they are all mass produced and trucked in "fresh")

If by "fresh" you mean "frozen and then reconstituted".......

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I'm lucky in regards to donuts. The little town near me has a small take out coffee shop I frequent, they get fresh baked donuts , muffins of many varieties, which all are very good and fresh.

My usual, raspberry filled with a small dark roast coffee $4. Might go today.

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Have several small mom/pop donut shops in my close proximity but drive past them to frequent my favorite.. 1 st visit I realized the owners/operators were of Korean ancestery and when I gave them a greeting in Korean language they seemed shocked that was speaking Korean.... They both were born in Korea but their daughter (early 20"s) was born in USA so I gave her several pieces of Korean paper money (Won) (1970"s) to put in a picture frame...... Miss Kim always throws something extra in the bag but she does this to all of her customers especially with children involved.................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Similar to Sunset_Va, I've got two take-out donut shops within 5-10 minutes' drive of the house. The older (and farther away) one has been in operation for over 35 years. Baked on-site, cash only. Danged delicious.

The nearer one has been in operation for 5-6 years (I think). Again, baked on-site. Warm, fresh, and delicious. And the owner is good fun to chat with, too. We have some good car-nut talks when there aren't other customers waiting.

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a donut place nearby that is owned and operated by an Asian family . The donuts are awesome . Mom and Pop are extremely friendly and hard working and the daughters are cute .

Posts: 4068 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my cheap donuts. My every Friday treat.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I finally made it to Marie's. Donuts are pretty decent. They don't have a large variety but that's okay - don't really need too much variety. What they do have is tasty. Fritter is good with a nice cinnamon kick. Donut was decent. Cream puffs were pretty good and nicely unsweet (ie - sometime stores make them too sweet, the puff is sweet and the whipped cream is sweet); the cream was a little too whipped and dense but close enough. Maybe tough to make on a larger scale. They didn't have crullers though.

One thing: several cars encountered in that area were driving slow. Really slow, around 10-15 mph. Parking lot speeds. On double lane streets. At first, I slowed down because I didn't know what was going on. Then other cars would catch up and pass driving normally. So then did I; and each time I encountered a slow car, just passed them. Weird.

I also had a chance to try another place. They had more variety. Had something called cronuts (a first for me). Not as tasty and the texture was a little off (too dense). And the fritter was too sweet and not tasty (no apple or cinnamon taste). So, lots of variety but just okay donuts. However, their crullers were better than others around here.