SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Donuts - where art thou?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Donuts - where art thou? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I think I've tried almost every donut shop in the greater metro area. All of them with 4.0 star reviews or better. All of them with stellar reviews.

I'm just looking for some simple donuts. Like a basic cruller. Or even something like Krispy Kreme.

Perhaps it's better in areas where the demographics are more homogeneous. Here, seems like all the shops are owned/managed by third world immigrants. I'm not criticizing them per se - they all seem hard working and just trying to live the american dream. Kudos to them for that.

I'm complaining that I can't find a decent donut in the area across 50+ shops - I've been looking hard for the past few years to no avail. All bland, no texture and way too sweet. It's just sugar on a bland substrate.

I love donuts, pancakes, waffles and bagels. I've basically given up on the others already. I make pancakes at home. I'll have a waffle out on occasion. Bagels, I just accept the sorry state of bagels around here.

Looks like I'm just giving up on donuts altogether at this point. I won't buy what's out there and can't make my own. Donuts, from now, will be just a treat when I travel to asia or someplace domestically where I can find an artisan.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.huronmountainbakery.com
Many, many donuts of all kinds here in the Yoop. Come on up!
www.thirdstreetbagel.com
And Bagels!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I get my waffles at Waffle House. I know some here think that WH places are crummy, but the one I go to is clean, the staff are good, and I like their waffles. I maintain that for waffles one should not get them at IHOP--theirs are very expensive and take too long (have to wait for the iron to heat up--those at WH are hot all the time).

As a youth my family often ate what I call a "waffle supper"--waffles, scrambled eggs, and bacon or sausage. When young, eggs in the morning (breakfast) made me ill, so I was happy to have them at suppertime. As an adult (and then some) I continue to have waffle suppers, at WH.

Back to the OT, I'm with you. I prefer cake donuts, sometimes with chocolate or maple topping. Some glazed donuts are OK, if not too puffy and yeasty. Krispy Kreme donuts are awful. Some of the local shops have pretty good donuts, but they close their doors before I'm up and around.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
We have some good local donut places in ABQ, even Krispy Kreme. I'm good for yeast or cake donuts, as long as they have some actual flavor, not just sweet. A place called Rebel Donuts in ABQ has a French toast donut that is awesome.

HOWEVER, nobody in this state seems to know what the hell a kronut is. Mad

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We've got a number of great local non-chain donut bakeries.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
You guys will probably harpoon me, but, my spouse and I really like the chocolate glazed donuts at our local Walmart.

We have a number of local sources but they can't beat Walmart for the choc glazed donuts.

Now apple fritters is a different deal as our local Donut Palace is tops.

Posts: 3716 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you're looking to settle for Krispy Kreme, I'm not sure you're my kind of donut guy.

I think you're in California, right? That's one thing I miss about not being in California. Genuine Cambodian donuts. And by that, I don't mean Cambodia has a version of donuts; I mean 97 percent of independent donut shops in California are owned by Campbodians just like 97% of Dry Cleaners are owned by Koreans and 97% of nail salons are owned by Vietnamese in California.

I like fresh Cambodian donuts even though they have risen in price over the years. I used to bring a dozen of two regularly to the office on Fridays to share.

Mmmm....

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I can't stand Krispy Kreme.

Ate one, felt like I'd gagged down a shovel full of sugar and said never again.

Dunkin Donuts is okay, though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://theglassknife.com/donuts-near-me/

Expensive, but pretty darn good...

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If you're looking to settle for Krispy Kreme, I'm not sure you're my kind of donut guy.

I think you're in California, right? That's one thing I miss about not being in California. Genuine Cambodian donuts. And by that, I don't mean Cambodia has a version of donuts; I mean 97 percent of independent donut shops in California are owned by Campbodians just like 97% of Dry Cleaners are owned by Koreans and 97% of nail salons are owned by Vietnamese in California.

I like fresh Cambodian donuts even though they have risen in price over the years. I used to bring a dozen of two regularly to the office on Fridays to share.

Mmmm....

This. The chain donuts places are OK if you're desperate. I don't pretend to be an Asian expert, but the local gal is either Cambodian or Vietnamese. Great stuff. If I travel a little further, Marie's Donuts in Sacramento is the reigning champion - oddly enough owned by a white family that has been at it for 50 years, two locations.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

https://theglassknife.com/donuts-near-me/

Expensive
It's Winter Park. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain, konata88 Frown

We used to have a donut shop right down the road. Run by a little old Filipino lady. Made 'em right there in her store. Best donuts evah! Her apple fritters were to die for. She made terrific Pączki, too.

At the same time: Dunkin' Donuts was still making a decent donut. Not as good as hers, but passable. The closest gas station also had fresh Krispy Kreme donuts every morning.

Since then: The little old Filipino lady sold her shop to somebody else, that somebody else ran the business into the ground, and now it's gone. The gas station quit carrying Krispy Kreme donuts and Dunkin' Donuts' donuts became no longer worth the powder it'd take to blow 'em to hell.

So we don't even bother, anymore. Now donuts are nothing more than a fond memory.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I have not seen a raspberry filled jelly donut in my neck of PA in about two years.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We called them Bismarks. There were at least four ethnic bakeries in the neighborhood when I was a kid. Ethnic bakeries where they made them on the premises and pointed to the ones you wanted. Long Johns, Eucaires etc.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Mmmm, Winchel’s doughnuts.

Now i have a game plan for tomorrow morning.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
This. The chain donuts places are OK if you're desperate. I don't pretend to be an Asian expert, but the local gal is either Cambodian or Vietnamese. Great stuff. If I travel a little further, Marie's Donuts in Sacramento is the reigning champion - oddly enough owned by a white family that has been at it for 50 years, two locations.

Where is 'local gal' donut shop? Next time I'm in the area, I'll try to check out Marie's Donuts. I'm just looking for simple donuts - nothing fancy. Just simple cruller or sugared or glazed (prefer sugar, glazed is usually too sweet).

I accept I need to drive some distance to get donuts - there is nothing convenient to me. Lot's of burger places and brews. But no donuts, no bagels, no bakeries, no cakes, no croissants. Nothing good anyway..... Oh, would I wouldn't give for a nice choux creme .

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Everglazed in Disney Springs. Like Krispy Kreme taken to some extreme level.

We do have some Krispy Kreme stores here. Tough to pass up that hot sign.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
If you are ever in Santa Clara, check out Stan's Donuts. A bite into one of their fresh hot glazed donuts, perfection. You will thank me later. Wink

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

97 percent of independent donut shops in California are owned by Campbodians just like 97% of Dry Cleaners are owned by Koreans and 97% of nail salons are owned by Vietnamese
There is a donut / bagel shop in the Florida Space Coast area, owned by some Asian folks. Not sure which country, but I would guess Korean.

The donuts are OK. The bagels are a sick joke. The only resemblance to a real bagel is that they are a bread-like substance with a hole in the middle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Our little town has a great donut shop. They are open from 6AM to noon...everyday. They have drive thru or walk-in and they are packed, especially early morning. They also make a sausage in a bun for two bucks that is very good.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post