SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Intercostal muscle strain...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intercostal muscle strain... Login/Join 
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted
I didn't realize you could strain yourself in a manner that feels exactly like a broken rib.

I was assembling deck chairs and tripped in an odd way, and twisted awkwardly to try to catch myself. This happened last Friday and it still hurts to breathe, laugh, sneeze, cough, or get in or out of my car.

This is the weirdest injury and I'm pretty sure a trip to urgent-care would be a waste of time. Getting older sucks. You get hurt without even going out lookin for it.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm pretty sure a trip to urgent-care would be a waste of time.

From the description of the mechanism of injury, that is the correct decision. Not just time but also money. Not every pain and strain, or cough and cold, warrants a trip to the clinic.

Q

Posts: 26640 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
(didn't have my glasses on, thought it said Intercourse muscle strain...
I thought, "Well this will be an interesting/short lived thread") Big Grin

Posts: 21144 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yup!!
I learned of such thing last year. I have broken my ribs a couple times now so I was familiar with that pain.
One evening getting ready for bed started to hurt real bad to breathe and had rib pain just like when they had been broken.
However I had no impact or anything that would have broken them.
I called my doctor and he asked what I had done that day and the day before. Ended up asking about the workouts I had done.
The day before I had hit the row machine pretty hard and we presume that is what did it.
It was a rough 5-7 days for me and Advil not Tylenol did much to help.

Hope you feel better quickly.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25486 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting old, when you wake up feeling worse than when you went to bed. Woke up Monday with sore back, finally subsiding after 3 days.

Good luck.

Posts: 208 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you have a good Chiropractor you might visit them, mine has the Laser Therapy machine, for pulled or sore muscles things like this the laser is amazing, you'll be free of pain the same day.

Check around and find a good doc that uses Therapy Lasers, it's used a lot in professional and collegiate sports to help stimulate repair of muscles and alleviate the associated pain

https://lightforcemedical.com/

Posts: 23663 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Cissus will get you back on track in half the time. Dulls the pain too.

Good times.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6991 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Getting dressed almost two weeks ago and something pulled in my left shoulder. Went to Urgent Care, muscle pull and maybe a slight tear to the rotator cuff. Doctor (yeah, a real one there!) asked me,what I was doing, told him.

Also I said “I think this is probably related to a motorcycle crash in 1974”, I’ve had popping and snapping in it since then.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8170 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
(didn't have my glasses on, thought it said Intercourse muscle strain...
I thought, "Well this will be an interesting/short lived thread") Big Grin

Also borderline thread-title profanity! Or something. Big Grin

Thanks guys, trying to take it easy.

This will motivate me to exercise/stretch regularly again, I'm sure this was preventable.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Cissus will get you back on track in half the time. Dulls the pain too.

Good times.

What is Cissus?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5374 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Cissus Quadrangularis. Don't hold me to the spelling. Indian medicine herb. Powerful anti inflammatory. Especially good with healing broken bones and muscle tears etc.

Came across it in the lifting world a while back. It's in my cabinet at all times.

Posts: 6991 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks, my husband just did something to his ribs, and I’m hoping this might help. Where do you source?

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Intercostal muscle strain...

Salt water fishing is ramping up around here and I thought this was about the "Intercoastal Waterway"... another case of no glasses...LOL

Yeah, seems since I turned 70 I have developed all kinds of ailments...Feel better...

Posts: 39 | Registered: January 26, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Thanks, my husband just did something to his ribs, and I’m hoping this might help. Where do you source?

I got curious so I looked it up. Veld grape pills are available on Amazon.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3357 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
quote:

I got curious so I looked it up. Veld grape pills are available on Amazon.

And that’s where I run into trouble. It seems like there’s some choices. I might be making leap here, but I’m betting it might not follow FDA guidelines, so.. I’m hoping for firsthand experience with a particular brand of the stuff before I try to feed it to the spouse.

"Trust, but verify."

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've broken ribs, and I've strained ribs.

You're right, they both feel exactly the same and you probably would be wasting money getting care, because the fix is the same too. Give them time, and try not to move, laugh, or breathe.

The good news is my strained ribs felt like they were back to normal after about a month and a half. The broken ones bothered me for over a year.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3530 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd just go on Amazon and get one. The herb people are usually cheaper than the fitness supplement people. Doesn't taste good and turns to concrete fast in water so if you can't handle it get the pills.

Edit - Sorry; to be specific. My pills now are from 'Carlyle" which I got on Amazon. I've used truenutrition.com for bulk powder, or bulksupplements as well.

I've "popped a rib" deadlifting numerous times. Always sore from core work, etc. Cissus helps me bigtime.

Brought me back from mild pec tears, tricep strains, groin and hamstring stuff etc. Gets me back fast too.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

"Trust, but verify."

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Twice, I have had the floating rib shift out of position in my back, and the pain took my breath away.

The first time, I was in the gym doing lat pull downs and it popped. The second time was a month or so later in the same location, but can't remember which movement caused it.

Both times I had my chiropractor pop it back in place which hurt, but both times I experienced rapid improvement afterward.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23380 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post