SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Darn it, can't catch a break...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darn it, can't catch a break... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
It's Spring and I'm getting the "service my lawn mower" jobs. Working on my second zero turn and initially intended to sharpen the blades that are on it.

Got them off and got to looking at them and two are banged up badly enough that new ones are in order.

"Darn," sez I, "I'll have to hop in the Vette and run to Ellsworth for a set of blades".

Nobody in Ellsworth has them in stock. 54" deck. All sorts of them for the 50" deck, nada for the 54".

Had to order them from Amazon. Poop. Big Grin

($86.50 for a set of 3 BTW...)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
<<snip>>
"Darn," sez I, "I'll have to hop in the Vette and run to Ellsworth for a set of blades".

Nobody in Ellsworth has them in stock. 54" deck. All sorts of them for the 50" deck, nada for the 54".

Had to order them from Amazon. Poop. Big Grin

($86.50 for a set of 3 BTW...)

In all honesty, if there's something I need and don't need immediately, I will order from Amazon if at all possible to keep me from having to go anywhere to pick it up! These days I just don't like going out into public places if possible...

Posts: 4611 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I was more disappointed about not having an excuse to drive the Vette than ordering from Amazon.

Living in the sticks, Amazon and Big Brown save me a LOT of driving.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Where would you put 54" blades in a Corvette? The passenger seat? I guess I don't know how big the trunk is in a Corvette.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Where would you put 54" blades in a Corvette? The passenger seat? I guess I don't know how big the trunk is in a Corvette.

It's a three-blade deck, so individual blades are 19 inches long.

No trunk, and if the top is down no storage at all other than the passenger's seat and footwell. With the top up, there is a compartment behind the seats that can be used as long as it's not bigger than a medium-to-small suitcase.

The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Ship it to an Amazon drop box across town and drive the Vette to pick it up.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You ever get down to Brunswick?

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Living in the sticks, Amazon and Big Brown save me a LOT of driving.

I don't even live in the sticks, but use Amazon even if they're (slightly) higher priced in order to avoid dealing with traffic and the unwashed masses at Wally World.

I had planned on dropping Amazon Prime this year, but dang, that same day/next day delivery really comes in handy. I held off for maybe a month before I caved in and re-upped.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6426 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a better reason to drive a Vette than to pick up mower blades. The longer the drive the better. Any long, remote stretches of highway in the middle of nowhere without smokies ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8716 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I can't think of a better reason to drive a Vette than to pick up mower blades. The longer the drive the better. Any long, remote stretches of highway in the middle of nowhere without smokies ?

Well, if I take the (really) long way to Bangor, there's about 20 miles of Route 9 that I've never seen a cop on and I used to ride it 3-4 times a year dabbling in 3 digit speeds on the Yamaha. Twisty both horizontally and vertically, excellent road surface and gorgeous views.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You ever get down to Brunswick?

Only if I have no choice. Last time I was in Brunswick was at my pre-retirement seminars in 1990.

I went to Freeport to pick up a bike and visited one of my daughters when she lived in Bath once, but otherwise tend to avoid anything South of Augusta.