SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    IRS PIN NO. Debacle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IRS PIN NO. Debacle Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted
Last year my wife wanted to get her PIN no so we could file online. We have never received a PIN no. from them by mail. It was a nightmare and she had to do a Zoom call with an agent, show him copies of her ss card, dr's license, etc. He then signed her up for the online account but transposed the 2nd and 3rd letter in our last name so it was obviously spelled wrong. I spent hours on the phone with a nasty agent who finally hung up on me without doing anything to correct it. When I got my letter in the mail with my PIN no. for this year's return they had also spelled my name wrong. I called the number in the letter that said to call if there was a problem. I spent over an hour on the phone wading through their useless menus trying to get this corrected before an agent told me I could snail mail my forms and wouldn't have to use the number. No shit! I knew that already but how can I get the correct spelling? He said to attach a letter explaining the problem when I mail in my forms and maybe that will help and wished me good luck. What a fuster cluck!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Sorry for your problems. I’m thankful that I got my IRS PIN No. via snail mail without any such hassles. I have it secured in my synchronized password manager apps and have used it successfully for several years.

I’m wondering… would it be easier to get that IRS PIN No. if you have a login.gov account?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I had an account but got a letter saying I had to reactivate it this year and re-register. That letter came in the mail about the same time as the one with my new PIN No. My name was spelled correctly on my original account when I first registered. BTW, neither I nor my wife have ever received a PIN no. by snail mail until I got this one in the mail. This really sucks!

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember getting a pin. But I don't remember having used it in at least the last ten years.

But I still keep it in my notes that I carry over from year to year.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
I use the federal electronic funds transfer (EFT) web site to make my federal tax payments. The money comes out of a specified bank account, and the transaction is virtually instantaneous, and no fee. A confirmation number is provided.

The PIN number is required for login to that site, so I need it at least four times a year.

I suggest that you login to that site just to verify your PIN in case you have an actual need for it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a try but I'm pretty sure if I try to file online their computers are going to reject it because the last name on my PIN will not match my last name on the rest of my tax forms, including my ss no., and 1099's, etc.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Apparently there are two things here. An IRS PIN number, and the IRS IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN). The IP PIN was originally offered to victims of identity theft, but is now available to all. If you have an IP PIN, you get a new one each year, via snail mail. You must enter it on your return (there is a special box just for it) or your return will be rejected. I found that out the hard way, forgetting to enter it one year. I had to refile with the IP PIN included. But that mistake gives me peace of mind that no one can file in my name.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Interesting, Henry. I didn’t know of the Identity Protection PIN. Thanks for that tip.

Identity Protection PIN:
https://www.irs.gov/identity-t...ntity-protection-pin

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Henry’s post raised a question in my mind. My state and federal tax returns are e-filed by my tax guy. I assume (and hope) that enrolled agents have an identity protection mechanism similar to, or better than, the Identity Protection PIN.

Serious about crackers