SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Health insurance companies are now farming out contractors to get discounted procedures.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health insurance companies are now farming out contractors to get discounted procedures. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
My doctor put in an order for a CAT scan of my throat due to a strange irritation that has been going on for six months. I get a phone call from what seems to be my health insurance company. It is of course an Indian woman that is hard to understand. She wants to sell me cheaper CAT scans at different locations rather than the place my doctor has me scheduled. No lady I am not driving four hours to save my insurance company $200. It was clear when I asked that she was not from my insurance company but a different company. It kind of felt like a collections call when your credit card sells your debt. What a load of shit.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
She was calling from India most likely

A lot of CAT scan and X-ray work IIRC has gone there. She probably wanted you to go to a place that would send the scan right to India to be analyzed.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insurance companies have been doing this for sometime. For example in mental health they steer you to a low priced counselor rather than a trained psychologist. For medical needs you are seeing an NP or PA. Read your insurance contract carefully and see if this is allowed.
I remember a cartoon from 25 years ago. A guy is lying in a hospital bed and a nurse is standing there with the chart. The caption read, Good news Mr. Jones, your insurance company is sending you home. Today it is reality.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
She gave me prices of all options. My deductible is 10%. I ain’t going to a shithole to save $20

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Our insurance has an app where you can find the prices in your area for places that perform the test you need.
We found that the test may be cheaper but then you have to pay the doctor at that place to read your results and then send them to your doctor.

This wound costing more and taking a bunch of time in scheduling and getting my doctor to send them my information than just going down the hall in the hospital and having it done.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. The bean counters are happy since you saved them money. Anytime an insurance company is involved it is probably not to help the patient.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you have to drive four hours to get the work done, you aren’t even saving the $20. Tell them you’d be happy to do it if they agree to reimburse you 50 cents a mile and an $80 trip charge.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My insurance carrier sent me to a brand new, state of the art 70 cm diameter tube MRI facility.

It was the first MRI that was almost enjoyable. That slightly larger tube made all the difference. The images were incredibly detailed.

But the same insurance company said “No surgery until you lose weight.” In the meanwhile I have a left arm that is only 50% functional.

Rationing in here folks; they are being subtle about it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post