SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is it really necessary to quote the OP when you are the first reply?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it really necessary to quote the OP when you are the first reply? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Not really a gripe so much as a minor observed annoyance. I can see quoting a part of the original post if your reply is specific to it. I can see quoting the OP if there’s a lot of replies and subject digressions. But if you are the first reply it’s safe to assume we know what you’re replying to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: frayedends,

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12403 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Not really a gripe so much as a minor observed annoyance. I can see quoting a part of the original post if your reply is specific to it. I can see quoting the OP if there’s a lot of replies and subject digressions. But if you are the first reply it’s safe to assume we know what your replying to.

I completely agree.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about not only quoting but copying all the pictures too? Drives me bonkers.

Posts: 7327 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Not really a gripe so much as a minor observed annoyance. I can see quoting a part of the original post if your reply is specific to it. I can see quoting the OP if there’s a lot of replies and subject digressions. But if you are the first reply it’s safe to assume we know what your (sic) replying to.

I completely agree.

+1

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I completely agree.
Ah ha ha ha ah ha

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Me too. I figure folks are either unaware of how to selectively quote or just plain lazy. Eek

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK

I think we all would have been VERY disappointed if the 2nd post in this thread was not as yours was.

Well played!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12299 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Not really a gripe so much as a minor observed annoyance. I can see quoting a part of the original post if your reply is specific to it. I can see quoting the OP if there’s a lot of replies and subject digressions. But if you are the first reply it’s safe to assume we know what your replying to.

I completely agree.

Of course I knew this would happen! Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12403 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Oh hell... let's expand the scope to include signatures that are in paragraphs long. I mean WTF? Mad

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Short posts, don't care. But, quoting the entire article is just ridiculous.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
As I was reading the OP, I knew what the first response was going to be.

I just did not know who was going to post it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3836 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I mean, when they leave the door wide open, you basically have to walk through it... Big Grin

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean, when they leave the door wide open, you basically have to walk through it... Big Grin

I would expect nothing less.

These go to eleven.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

It's particularly annoying when one photo is popular and people continuously quote it so the thread is flooded with the same photo.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Laconically, yes!

Posts: 514 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
quote:
quote:
Not really a gripe so much as a minor observed annoyance. I can see quoting a part of the original post if your reply is specific to it. I can see quoting the OP if there’s a lot of replies and subject digressions. But if you are the first reply it’s safe to assume we know what your (sic) replying to.

I completely agree.

+1

...and nesting. Can't stand that shit.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16603 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
quote:
quote:

I completely agree.

+1

...and nesting. Can't stand that shit.

Me too! Drives me crazy…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
bald1

posted January 14, 2023 01:43 PM Hide Post
Oh hell... let's expand the scope to include signatures that are in paragraphs long. I mean WTF?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

This occurs when someone highlights everything in a post, then hits the reply button, as I've done with your post. I have no good explanation for this, other than people who aren't good with computers.

Posts: 17044 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...020097694#7020097694

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
You can also highlight text and click reply. The highlighted text will be quoted. It won’t show the author, however.

These go to eleven.