SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Know it all teenage children.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Know it all teenage children. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I feel you, we have a 15 year old and are in the same boat. Teenage girls must be the strangest creature on the planet.

Posts: 419 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I agree with your post. Based off both personal experience as a know it all shithead, and current as a parent.

My question though is: Is her failing a lack of ability or lack of effort. Cause one can come with some bit of sass, the other comes with a foot in the ass.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got straight Ds in Algebra. Has not affected my life one bit. Relationships are more important than math.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It ain't just limited to teenagers. I have a buddy in his 40's who's asked for my advice on getting into aviation. EVERY...EVERY...suggestion I've offered has been fought tooth and nail by him the ENTIRE way. And he wonders why it's taking him so long to build his hours.

JSMH........

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've been there.

Got sole custody of my daughter when she was 14. Right in the heat of girl drama and knowing everything. I made it through but I was wrong on everything according to her.

She'll be 24 this year and is a completely different person now.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
It ain't just limited to teenagers. I have a buddy in his 40's who's asked for my advice on getting into aviation. EVERY...EVERY...suggestion I've offered has been fought tooth and nail by him the ENTIRE way. And he wonders why it's taking him so long to build his hours.

JSMH........

Isn't the short answer: Fly, and then fly some more? Wink

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Winner
posted Hide Post
Don’t worry, my parents grew out of their stupidity when I reached my early 20s, and boy was I thankful, because it was getting pretty old.

My son is 24, and I seem to slowly be growing out of my stupidity. Paybacks are a bitch!

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I notice that the stuff that they watch on TV supports this lifestyle for young people.
It seems about every movie or TV show depicts the adults as stupid and clueless, also as adulterating, drug addicts or alcoholics.
Only the young kids see the problems and are able to fix all the problems despite the foolish input from the adults.

I'm 71, I can't remember one show or movie from that time frame (50's and 60's) that did not depict the parents and adults as smart and well able to handle any situation.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I notice that the stuff that they watch on TV supports this lifestyle for young people.
It seems about every movie or TV show depicts the adults as stupid and clueless, also as adulterating, drug addicts or alcoholics.
Only the young kids see the problems and are able to fix all the problems despite the foolish input from the adults.
Don't forget the sit coms with the canned laughter that don't ever miss an opportunity to make Dad look like an idiot. Then Mommy rides in on the white horse and saves the day. Instead of father knows best, it's now father knows nothing.

I'm 71, I can't remember one show or movie from that time frame (50's and 60's) that did not depict the parents and adults as smart and well able to handle any situation.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have known that when my now 12 year old was about 4, he marched into the family room and announced that he was all grown up, and could do what he wanted, that I'd have my hands full someday. He's a sixth grader now and was having trouble in math. The local library has free tutoring after school. High school kids get extra credit for helping. His grades have vastly improved. PS, math is extremely important, especially if she wants to enter the STEM fields.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Sometimes they gotta touch the stove.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the Mark Twain quote. I myself lost several IQ points as my boys moved into their teenage years. Now that they are in their late twenties early thirties I seem to be regaining them. I'm sure you will experience the same.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry your going through the teen years- mine are 17 & 19. They don’t necessarily think I’m “dumb” but they have strong opinions.

Looking back at how I was as a teenager I’m ashamed. My dad deserved better.

I became a U.S. Marine at 17 years old and that unfucked me quick, fast, and in a hurry.

When my father had to sign for me to go to boot camp he was sad, but it saved me and us. He came to graduation and we were best friends until the end.

Don’t give up. It is just a short time until your teenager figures out you’ve taken care of them all this time. (Even though you play in mud puddles)

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter is doing much better this week. Thanks everyone for the support. We were driving together and I was listening to the Migtown Podcast, and the host, Drexel made a comment that young women today lay in bed most of the day watching Netflix on their phones. My daughter actually said: "I do that." I think hearing that hit home with her, because she has been out of her room and with the family more this week. She also went to math tutoring and didn't complain.

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Great news!
I’m sure you’ve seen this, but with my son’s sports, a lot of the dads tell me “inconsistent” is the normal right now- I suspect it wouldn’t be any different with homework.. and isn’t it interesting how once they get out of the sphere of school/media for a week (we are on break right now) they revert back to being a decent human being!
Best of luck on her her continued progress.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine was active duty for over 20 years and deployed 7 times between Iraq and Afghanistan. His son grew up many years with out him at home. He had just returned from deployment and junior felt that he was grown. Dad told him to do something, junior said no and puffed his chest out and got imaginary lat syndrome. Junior was taller and bigger than dad at this point and felt he could get away with it. Dad grabbed junior by his throat and slammed him against the wall and held him there until he understood. That was probably 6-7 years ago and it hasn't happened since...

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I had a friend back in Wilmington who had four early-teen and teenage daughters. He said sometimes he had to just walk outside and be wrong in the yard by himself.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I got straight Ds in Algebra. Has not affected my life one bit. Relationships are more important than math.

Methinks you are missing the point. Confused

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest that you are. Constant struggle over academics and normal teenage behavior results in long term problems.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my oldest daughter was getting ready to go off to college I overheard a conversation between her and her younger sister (3 years junior). The younger was complaining that she was being left to “deal with Dad”.
The older said, “Just do what I do. Tell him whatever you think he wants to hear and do what you’re going to do anyway!”
They’ve both ended up in good places as adults but I lost most of hair banging my head against the “wall” of those teenage years.

Posts: 87 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post