SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Air compressors at gas stations…
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air compressors at gas stations… Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
Why do none of them work? My wife’s car’s tires were all low on air (don’t ask) so we traded cars. I must have stopped at half a dozen gas stations on the way home before I found an air compressor at a Circle K that wasn’t “out of order”. I had to pay, but it took credit cards instead of $2 in quarters, which I didn’t have anyways.

Now I have to get an air compressor big enough to fill four tires at a time for our home garage.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a nice one in the garage, 80 psi truck tires no problem, if needed.

One local station has a pretty good one, when it’s working. This is a Casey’s gas station. I try to never need one. A few years ago I added one to carry in my truck. It hooks to the battery, pretty good for what it is. I’ve mostly used it for others.

I got this from tirerack.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If you did find one that worked, those shitty 4-quarter ones would just pump oversaturated air into your tires. Other than emergencies, just use a home compressor.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12430 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My little pancake does a fine job for our 3 vehicles.

Best gas station air pumps I've found are at BucEes. They let you set the pressure on the machine & it'll auto-stop when it reaches it.

Alternatively, though they tend to take a while, the 12v pumps you run off the cig lighter port also get the job done in a pinch.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15358 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I've got a Milwaukee M18 compressor. It's pretty small, and fantastic for tires. Couldn't run air tools on it or anything like that, but it makes quick work of any tire in my household, and any time I travel or go wheeling it goes with me for air up duty. I'd imagine most of the other battery tool manufacturers have something similar.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
If you did find one that worked, those shitty 4-quarter ones would just pump oversaturated air into your tires. Other than emergencies, just use a home compressor.

Oversaturated air?? Those compressors don't have tanks and are simply compressing the ambient air. It's unlikely to be much different than the air at your house...Not to mention that the OP is located in 'Ariz Zone A' anyway! What am I missing?

Honestly though, it's REALLY nice to have air at the house! I have a 6.5 HP 60 Gal. (vertical tank) 10.5 SCFM @ 90 PSI Compressor and a full compliment of air tools, so I can basically 'air anything' I want, anytime I want. Cool

If you need a portable compressor to keep in your car/power from your car battery, VIAIR is the way to go!

Get this one --> https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-0...ressor/dp/B00CDWJRZW

The VIAIR 87P is powered directly from your battery, and will inflate an empty tire effortlessly! It's duty cycle is exponentially better than the common/cheaper air compressors that are powered by 12V outlet in your car. The 87P is impressively robust and sounds like a precision 'well oiled machine' (even though it's an oil-free design). You won't be disappointed Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8927 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just go to Lowes or Hope Depot and buy yourself a nice air compressor that plugs into your car or house outlet. I bought a kobalt air compressor from Lowes for less than 100 bucks and it works great. I recently had a flat and it pumped my tire up in just a few minutes from 6 psi to 33 psi so I was able to make it home and plug the tire from the safety of my driveway. It stores in the trunk just fine and takes up very little space, its light weight so anyone can use it and its simple to operate so a good unit and much better than having to search for air at a gas station.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobal...-Electric/1000092575

This message has been edited. Last edited by: calugo,

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Every Discount Tire location that I have ever seen, has a pull-through lane for complimentary (as in FREE) tire inflation. Just pull in and one of their worker-bees will come out and inflate your tires, while you wait!

You do not have to be a Discount Tire customer for this, but you might decide to become one when you experience their courteous service.

I think that they use a 78% nitrogen blend.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
2nd on the VIAIR. Keep one in all our vehicles and RV.

Posts: 5697 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Third the Viair! Got one when I was driving full sized trucks. Never will I buy anything else. Duty cycle is key with small compressors. I can run mine pretty much 100% to fill big tires. Burned up many a small cheap compressor before I paid for a good one.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Viair. I've got 2 of them, expensive but worth it. You can't kill them. Buy once cry once.

Posts: 68 | Registered: June 25, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That's what I love about being in Wawa-land here

They always work, they usually have two of them and they are FREE. They are the kind that you set your pressure and when you reach it, they beep.

You'd think the other places would figure that out that charge for it. If I'm stopping for air, I may as well get gas and maybe a coffee or a snack or hoagie.

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

I think that they use a 78% nitrogen blend.

Hah , hah . I get it . Big Grin

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember pay phones???? Most of them were out of order and missing the receiver.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ve got a couple M18 Milwaukee portables at work, they work great, I used one the other day to air up a Semi tire out on a the job, didn’t quite get it to 110 psi but it was enough for the guy to get the truck and lowboy back to the shop, he didn’t do a pretrip so I fault him but it was better than him popping it off the rim. Highly handy for pickup tires etc

Posts: 460 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
So now it's time for you to buy an inexpensive plug in electric tire inflator or home compressor. And a decent tire pressure gauge, one that you didn't buy from Wallymart. Buy one from NAPA Auto Parts and you should be gtg. Whatever you do, NEVER trust any pressure reading from any type of free or pay-for air service at any gas station or quick stop, and don't EVER guess the tire pressure by looking at the tire itself and guessing you have about the right amount of air. I see this at a local Wawa, chicks and dudes pumping up their car tires while looking at it trying to figure out if they have the right amount of air. Not only is it bad for your tire, it can also be dangerous at highway speeds when that tire decides it doesn't like the amount of air you did, or didn't, put in.

As an experiment, after you buy your compressor and tire gauge, try inflating it by guessing how it looks, then check it with your tire gauge, and you'll see what I mean. I'm a DIY car guy and I can't do it just by looks, and never knew any mechanic who could it either.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I bought a portable air tank and kept it filled to 100 PSI. There is a large air compressor where I use to work and I can fill the tank there. There are also a couple of gas stations in town that have powerful compressors and I could also fill in there.

Last year, I traded a box of 9mm ammo for a used compressor my neighbor had. It doesn't seem to have a lot of power.

Posts: 5626 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Several years ago on this fine forum there was a discussion on which home compressor to get and the consensus at the time was one from California Air Tools. It is extremely quiet and will take care of mt F-350 tires in short order.

This is the one I have..

https://www.californiaairtools...pressor/cat-1p1060s/

Harbor Freight has their version of the same unit…

https://www.harborfreight.com/...ompressor-64596.html

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6330 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
A decent bike floor pump works. Might take 10-20 pumps per pound depending on size, but might be better than a special trip. Air is the same.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2011 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Lowe's stores have free air down at the Pro / Contractor end. QuikTrip's also.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post