SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bare Bones McDonald's
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bare Bones McDonald's Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
They did this remodel to the one in Exeter NH. Because the drive-thru line was long, I went inside. Never again. There were two self ordering kiosks and an unattended register. I just wanted a cup of coffee. Took at least 10 minutes.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2433 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So much for that 15 bucks an hour fast food gig, huh?

Posts: 109261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just announced a couple of months ago, new prototype McDonalds restaurants in Houston and Denver are completely automated. No employees at all. All systems are essentially robotic.

We'll see how that works out.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1111 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:

Just announced a couple of months ago, new prototype McDonalds restaurants in Houston and Denver are completely automated. No employees at all. All systems are essentially robotic.

My mother has been gone for forty-four years now, but I have some special memories. She was a classical musician and took me to concerts at Carnegie Hall in NYC. A special treat on these trips, in the mid 1940's, was lunch at a Horn & Hardart Automat. I was fascinated by the food in all the little windows, each with its own coin slot.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Just announced a couple of months ago, new prototype McDonalds restaurants in Houston and Denver are completely automated...

Been done before.

Q

Posts: 27695 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:

My mother has been gone for forty-four years now, but I have some special memories. She was a classical musician and took me to concerts at Carnegie Hall in NYC. A special treat on these trips, in the mid 1940's, was lunch at a Horn & Hardart Automat. I was fascinated by the food in all the little windows, each with its own coin slot.
-------------------------------------------
There is a documentary on the Automat, been out for a couple years. Directing and entertainment is so-so, bout an hour long. It may come up on the Smithsonian or History channel on occasion. Won't get into details but there were a couple reasons it failed, it also mentions Starbucks wanting to use it as a business model.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Sounds like McDonald's is going back to there roots.
They never had seats inside, it was strictly carry out, no drive through back then.
Maybe they will bring back the original fries.

Posts: 4709 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Sounds like McDonald's is going back to there roots.
They never had seats inside, it was strictly carry out, no drive through back then.

That was the first McD I visited in the early 70s...it was just a walk-up, get your food and go; there were a couple of metal tables outside, but no one ever stayed.

It was a major shock when they remodeled and added inside tables.

It's sort of nice seeing them get back to their roots...with the addition of the drive-thru

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14255 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Wow. Other than technology the world changed at a much slower pace. So many wheels a changing so quickly now. Means little to me as I detest most fast food. I’ll still cruise the place once a year for the fake rib sandwich which is all the place is good for to me. My cheat meal fast food of choice is Taco Bueno. Weaned myself of all the trash years ago. If it’s day light that grocery store is open and they have a cafe in there. Removing cashiers from Kroger, McDeez going to some dystopian window only model. I mean first the Fat Boys break up, now this, nothing to believe in anymore. Wink

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12994 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

You mean the ones fried in beef tallow? Never gonna happen, not in a million years. Especially since veganism is such a big thing now.

Posts: 34728 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Did you get your "EXTRA BIG-ASS FRIES"?

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

McDonald’s now rations them out like they are some sort of precious commodity. I saw articles and complaints online about how people are ordering medium or large fries and getting basically a half filled container.

At least that’s how they used to do it before I gave up on them.

Used to be that potatoes were dirt cheap, apparently not anymore along with the fryer oil. Everything is crazy expensive now.

Posts: 34728 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

You mean the ones fried in beef tallow? Never gonna happen, not in a million years. Especially since veganism is such a big thing now.

Why would that have any sway? I'm pretty sure vegans don't eat at McDonald's anyway...And it's not like McDonald's changed the way the cook the fries to capture the vegan market! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

You didn't gimme no fries I got an empty box

Posts: 1316 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I worked at a robot company 20 years ago that had robots that could make burgers so its certainly not new tech.

They don't want people in the restaurant, you have to clean after them, and you get unruly crotch fruit, scum, and other undesirables hanging out making messes, breaking things, using your bathrooms, maintenance of drink machines, wasted lids, straws, etc.

All that work for a small percentage of your sales.

Many have already outsourced the drive thru speaker, you may be speaking to a computer or a call center somewhere else.

McDonalds used to have great fries but I can't remember the last time I got fresh hot ones.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10757 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I pretty much agree with all the comments.

I've seen bare bones ones all around NC, SC, and in TN.

The food is what it is. I stop there several times a week, for a ketchup-only original burger, and maybe fries, just for something cheap and fast, that I've never gotten sick on, since as a kid visiting the one in Niles IL on Milwaukee Ave in 1961.

Further evidence that they'd rather you keep out is that some don't even have parking next to the bldg, and if they do the close parking is either handicapped spaces or reserved for mobile order pickup.

The fries still contain beef flavoring.

The mocha frappes and "milk"shakes aren't bad for the price except for the calories. You can order on the app before you go in, get a discount, and it's ready when you go in.

And, as Joe Pesci explained in Lethal Weapon 2, if I'm getting food for me I don't do drive thru.

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
McDonalds used to have great fries but I can't remember the last time I got fresh hot ones.

You must be going at odd times, because the fries I've always gotten have always been hot...if not scalding. The only reason I go on any regular basis is for the fries and the large Coke(which has gone up from $1 to $1.29)

One advantage of going inside to order is that if the fries aren't hot/fresh, you can ask for a fresh batch...and they have to, by Corp policy, make you one

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14255 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've eaten in a number of prisons, and a number of Macdonalds. I'd rather have the prison food.

Posts: 17267 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I don't frequent McD's that much...maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I will say, however, that when I DO go to the one nearest me, it is the friendliest, most courteous service I've gotten in ANY other McD's I have visited. Maybe the store manager took a page out of Chick-fil-A's book?? And I go to CFA even less than McD's...as in almost never, now that I'm no longer in IAH Terminal B.

Just a side note...half the time, I go inside because the drive-thru line is waaaaay too long. I can get in and get out faster.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I pretty much agree with all the comments.

I've seen bare bones ones all around NC, SC, and in TN.

The food is what it is. I stop there several times a week, for a ketchup-only original burger, and maybe fries, just for something cheap and fast, that I've never gotten sick on, since as a kid visiting the one in Niles IL on Milwaukee Ave in 1961.

Further evidence that they'd rather you keep out is that some don't even have parking next to the bldg, and if they do the close parking is either handicapped spaces or reserved for mobile order pickup.

The fries still contain beef flavoring.

The mocha frappes and "milk"shakes aren't bad for the price except for the calories. You can order on the app before you go in, get a discount, and it's ready when you go in.

And, as Joe Pesci explained in Lethal Weapon 2, if I'm getting food for me I don't do drive thru.

The McDonalds on Milwaukee ave is the same one I went to as a kid. I grew up in Park Ridge.
Before the McDonald's on Milwaukee we went to the original in DesPlaines before it was turned into a monument of sorts.Back then the McDonalds in DesPlaines was the ONLY McDonalds.

Posts: 4709 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post