SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Make a charity contribution and watch the mail box fill up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Make a charity contribution and watch the mail box fill up Login/Join 
posted
Lately my post office mail box has been absolutely jammed full of various charitable organizations asking for money. The vast majority of them are organizations that I have never contributed to in the past. I also believe that I have never received a solicitation from any of them in the past. Thinking back, I have made a contribution or two to a few charities that I feel do good work. It's seems obvious to me that my name and address has been sold to other charitable organizations so they can hit up a guy who they know has made contributions in the past. Any contributions I have made have been pretty modest. I have to say that I don't like the idea of a charity selling my name and address to make a few extra bucks. I could be wrong about where my name and address has been coming from. But what else can it be?

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It makes me not want to donate to them.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I agree, my name has been sold by the few places I chose to support.

Now I get about 10 times the requests, more than what I chose to support in the past. Pretty annoying but not sure how any of this shuts off unless I move.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't donate money, just products and tangible things, and I only do local so I can actually see where it goes.
They tend to be things that will go to children and animals that didn't put themselves in the position to need charity.
Large organizations that solicit me for cash? No way.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I donate a few bucks in the assholes name I used to work for knowing he will get mail from all kinds of places….whenever someone asks for an email, like at the shoe store, I give his email address. Mrs mike caught me once a few months ago and asked why, I said cause I know they sell data lists and asshole deserves it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yup. Just gonna resort to mailing a Certified Cashier's Check in the U.S. mail with no return address.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
All true, but I score lots of free address labels.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My poor deceased leftist mother croaked a year and a half ago. She blew a small fortune donating to left wing causes. After her passing we somehow got her forwarding address. Every day we receive between 2 and 10 crying solicitations for money. All to places we'd never even consider donating to.

And I've heard your name and address is worth more than your contribution. My mother never lived at this address. Ever in her 99 years and 9 months. But they keep my mailbox full of trash. Its kind of fun opening and then tossing out all their heart tearing fodder. No way I'd ever contribute to any of them. On occasion they send some cards with envelopes my wife can use. It may be their business plan, but its going to fail with me.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Yup. Just gonna resort to mailing a Certified Cashier's Check in the U.S. mail with no return address.
I use an app called "Check Builder Pro." I use a Mac version, not sure whether it's published in a Windows version, but I believe that Versa-Check does a similar job for Windows.

Check Builder Pro prints the boiler-plate stuff on blank check paper. I can print checks with my name, and no address. Very useful in some situations, such as what erj_pilot does.

For even more anonymous checks, I could print them without even my name. The OCR line at the bottom of the check has the routing number and account number, so the check is negotiable.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Love taking their donation envelopes that have pre-paid postage and taking their own paperwork back to them. Back at you. ............................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I donate a few bucks in the assholes name I used to work for knowing he will get mail from all kinds of places….whenever someone asks for an email, like at the shoe store, I give his email address. Mrs mike caught me once a few months ago and asked why, I said cause I know they sell data lists and asshole deserves it.

Stolen.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I got a mailer from Salvation Army yesterday, I'm compelled to send it back with a Nastygram

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I usually send a note using their remittance advice and return envelope asking to be removed from their mailing list. It works most of the time.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
All true, but I score lots of free address labels.

And, an occasional shiny, new nickel. Smile

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I send donations to the VFW. They apparently sold my data to other veteran organizations.

So far, one "disabled vet" organization has sent to me three pairs of gloves too small to fit on a six-year-old and one tote bag.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I got a mailer from Salvation Army yesterday, I'm compelled to send it back with a Nastygram
First...shred their propaganda, put it in their pre-paid return envelope, THEN send it back with your nasty-gram. Did that to AARP a loooooooong time ago. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
First...shred their propaganda, put it in their pre-paid return envelope, THEN send it back with your nasty-gram. Did that to AARP a loooooooong time ago. Big Grin

It's been a long time since I received one but that's what I used to do except I added more stuff and when I was feeling vindictive, I'd throw something inside that had some weight to it.

I donated to Larry Elder once and the last one prior to that was McClintock. I didn't get any follow up spam from McClintock but, now, every Tom, Dick, and Harry of some "conservative" cause is emailing me. I can't fault organizations I give to to realize the value of selling my info.

There's this one charity in Chicago I have given to over the years. When I switched to digital in most things in my life, I told them don't send me snail mail. I even talked with the guy over the phone. I still get the USPS mail. I gave up and just throw it away.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Write “DECEASED” on their envelop and “return to sender”. Or just throw them into the garbage can unopened.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Always make a slight variation of your name, a different way of spelling, or add another name or initial, etc, in it.

If you start receiving other solicitations to your modified names you’ll know who did it.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

And, an occasional shiny, new nickel. Smile[/QUOTE]

Got a shiny new nickle in yesterday's mail from Boy's Town. I used it to reveal a $20 winner on a scratch off lottery ticket my daughter got me for Christmas. I briefly considered sending it to Boys Town. But I already have a life time supply of address labels. And I think I'll survive without the nickels. I'm sure Boy's Town does some good work and I wish them well, but I'll find another place to spend the $20.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post