SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Make a charity contribution and watch the mail box fill up
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Make a charity contribution and watch the mail box fill up Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When my uncle passed away I handled his estate. I printed His name and address on slips of paper.

I sent out over a hundred, one to every mailing I received. 5 years later I still get one occasionally.

I had also signed him up on a couple of websites I found, one was specifically just for stopping unsolicited mail to deceased people.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
There’s very few mail in charities I support…the main one I have kept current is the one my late wife donated to “Compassion International”…I continued her monthly payment via my CC after I canceled her’s after her death…truthfully I never receive any mail from other such charities (so it’s safe to assume they don’t share your information with other such related charities Smile)…since her passing my support has been, for the most part, limited to local charities in my town…She spent the last 15 years of her life working for a nonprofit group involved with teaching adults in our community to read (after she could no longer fill her position…the program “sold out” to the United Way and then went defunct in less than a year with them being too small for their support so fuck United Way)…they hounded me constantly for donations after her passing…it just makes me wonder how much money is spent in these mailings which would be better spent on their causes?…at least the NRA will stop sending shit out in the mail…if you request it (and yes I’m still a member and they fully know about my thoughts on Wayne Mad)

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I donate a few bucks in the assholes name I used to work for knowing he will get mail from all kinds of places….whenever someone asks for an email, like at the shoe store, I give his email address. Mrs mike caught me once a few months ago and asked why, I said cause I know they sell data lists and asshole deserves it.

I like your thinking!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the reason I stopped donating to St. Jude’s. I never received more solicitations in my life. Everything from note pads to nickels with hearts punched them. I had enough when I received mail from the Native American college fund. Helping dying children vs. sending an Indian to college.

Posts: 5404 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I donate a few bucks in the assholes name I used to work for knowing he will get mail from all kinds of places….whenever someone asks for an email, like at the shoe store, I give his email address. Mrs mike caught me once a few months ago and asked why, I said cause I know they sell data lists and asshole deserves it.

What a great idea...stolen. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Always make a slight variation of your name, a different way of spelling, or add another name or initial, etc, in it.

If you start receiving other solicitations to your modified names you’ll know who did it.

Stated doing this 20 odd years ago, remember MBNA? Those SOB’s started me down the path. I’d inadvertently used a shortened name on some shit giveaway at a race. That netted me about 100 credit offers as well as timeshare you name it. Every singe return envelope gets filled with my trash, their shit plus Kleenex, soup can labels from recycling, anything that can fit.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:

Every singe return envelope gets filled with my trash, their shit plus Kleenex, soup can labels from recycling, anything that can fit.
I know a guy who got very annoyed at one outfit that flooded his mailbox with offers. He packaged a brick and taped the return envelope to it and sent it back to the soliciting outfit. He said that the next time, he would send a package full of foul substance.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30525 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mom must have contributed to all sorts of charities and also to the Democratic Party . For a few months before she passed away we had all of her mail sent to our address . My wife handled her bills for her . She's been gone since November of last year and we still get all sorts of solicitations from all manner of organizations . I keep the ones from Biden and Pelosi and fill them with NRA information or whatever other junk mail is handy . They always include a postage paid envelope so I like to waste their money .

Posts: 3964 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't answer any direct mail and would just like it all to stop. I don't read the stupid coupon papers and have opted out of as many of them as I can. They all go straight into the trash or recycling.

I get all my mom's mail now because I take care of her finances. I swear when I put the change of address in it opened the floodgates. And then I found out she had been giving $5 or $10 to just about every solicitation she received. Whatever was the lowest amount in the check boxes you can fill out. Like they were bills. And with a $0.50+ stamp on each one which equates to 10% of a $5 donation.

She gave to some "save the social security" thing and then got similar solicitations from a dozen other "save the social security" places. Then there's the animal welfare things and the veterans things, and what have you. Then there's Publishers Clearinghouse, I think their entire business model is defrauding the elderly by implying, but not saying, they improve their odds of winning the big prize if the buy useless overpriced junk.

So much of the junk shows up in "OFFICIAL BUSINESS" envelops with "ONLY TO BE OPENED BY ADDRESSEE UNDER PENALTY OF FEDERAL LAW" and other silliness.

I ignore all of it and it mostly dies down after a while.

I remember telemarketers for the various fireman and police organizations calling and asking if they could count on me like last year and donate the same amount. "That's funny I didn't donate last year, why are you saying I did?" I then asked if the donation was tax deductible and invariably it wasn't' because it was a lobbying organization and not a charity. "Please put me on your do not call list" took care of them.

Only now do I realize why they do that. Elderly that are losing their memory are often reluctant to admit they cannot remember so rather than say so, they go along with the "same as last year".

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

I remember telemarketers for the various fireman and police organizations calling and asking if they could count on me like last year and donate the same amount.
"Sure thing. Uh, I don't have my records handy right now. Can you refresh my memory? How much did I donate last year?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30525 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post