SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Companies who make products but don't advertise it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Companies who make products but don't advertise it Login/Join 
What is the
soup du jour?

posted
Just a vent really, but last year I was looking for a Suppressor for both 7.62x39 and .308 Win. My primary rifles for consideration were my AKM/SLR107 and SCAR 17s. I really just wanted to take the bark out of both rounds. Both platforms seem to have pressure issues, which was my main concern.

While the OSS Suppressor seemed to make the most sense due to it's flow through design, there did not seem to be any available flash hiders in the AK thread pitch. Brakes were readily available. Even emailed OSS, and they said they only made brakes in 14xl LH. So when I happened on an okay deal on a Dead Air Wolverine I decided purchase that, and just get a KNS piston, if necessary.

Fast forward a few months, and OSS has a free stamp sale. Purchase an OSS can, and they pay for the stamp. Seems fair. So I ordered one to pair with my SCAR 17. (Tried to order some mounts from Botach on the cheap, got the runaround for a month and cancelled the order, but that's another story.)

So December rolls around and I'm looking for any deals on OSS mounts and stumble on Atlantic Firearms page. Turns out, these turkeys not only carry a multitude of OSS mounts, they stock the non-catalog 14xl LH AK flash hider. There is NO part number, and OSS won't even confirm they make it! Had I known that, I would have only desired to purchase one .30 cal suppressor (although I still want a Sandman-S for potential builds with pinned mounts).

TLDR:
OSS claims they don't make 14x1 LH Flash Hider mount. However, Atlantic Firearms clearly sells it, but OSS did not direct me to them, resulting in purchasing a superfluous suppressor.

Pic Related

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally, I prefer a company that operates as your thread title implies, as opposed to a company that advertises the heck out of stuff that they "make", but doesn't ever actually offer it, or offers it only in limited quantities after a long wait.

It could be that Atlantic had a batch of devices modified after the fact, or OSS used to make them, but ran into issues with customers using their cans on AKs that had crappy concentricity, and no longer wants to accept the liability.

Did you get one of the Atlantic 14x1 mounts? Are the threads inside finished like the outside of the device, or are they shiny raw metal, indicating they were cut after the fact?

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:

Did you get one of the Atlantic 14x1 mounts? Are the threads inside finished like the outside of the device, or are they shiny raw metal, indicating they were cut after the fact?

I just pulled it out of the bag. Factory finish inside and out. The issue is OSS makeS a brake (with an item number) using the same thread pitch. Just not the flash hider. I assume Atlantic Firearms was just the first company to request the FH, and has dibs until OSS has enough requests to add it to the catalog.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is probable that Atlantic has temporary exclusivity, if they sole-sourced that 14x1 device. OSS is the same with the 15x1; they offer it in a .30 brake, but nothing else.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
My frustration was the company itself told me they did not make it, rather than direct me to the apparent sole distributor. Had I known that, I could have simply purchased the more expensive titanium 762-QD as opposed to two heavy cans, and still paid less.

Nothing wrong with the PBS-1, but it's not QD and taking it on and off is troublesome. Also, it's a brick.