SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Claussen Pickle Shortage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Claussen Pickle Shortage Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I was curious so I checked my favorite local store. None.

The pickle trickle is real, none here either.

There were fewer choices of even the other brands, which are less desireable, so there’s no point in being fickle.
Just so I understand: you are saying that you are not going to be fickle because of the pickle trickle?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30531 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

you are saying that they cut off your
Claussen?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54484 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Claussen? V-Tail, are you sure you're Jewish? Razz You want pickles from a deli. Otherwise, Ba-Tampte or Bubbe's.
  • This ain't Brooklyn, where I was born. No decent deli around here, ever since Ronny's in downtown Orlando closed, many years ago. They used to have a mini barrel of pickles on each table.

• We have tasted both, we just don't like the Ba-Tampte as well as the Claussen. The goyim definitely do get some things right.

Cincinnati is a Kosher food desert. Can't do it anymore, but I used to put tightly wrapped jars of pickles in my luggage from a Kosher deli in NYC when I flew home.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I was curious so I checked my favorite local store. None.

The pickle trickle is real, none here either.

There were fewer choices of even the other brands, which are less desireable, so there’s no point in being fickle.
Just so I understand: you are saying that you are not going to be fickle because of the pickle trickle?

Yes Sir, that is correct.

I am wondering if it’s merely a case of Claussen pausing at the pickle plant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Cincinnati is a Kosher food desert.
Cincinnati. Orlando. There must be dozens, maybe hundreds, of medium size cities with populations large enough to support real delicatessens. If only I were younger, maybe a good business opportunity. Wink

When I was doing software development on contract in the Birmingham area, a consultant from NYC was there for a couple days. Orthodox. He asked me where to find a Kosher restaurant. No joy, none to be found. Plenty of barbecue places with all the chaza you can eat, but nothing Kosher. I called a local synagogue to ask, but they could not help. Poor guy went to a local grocery and bought some canned stuff to take back to his hotel. Probably lost a couple pounds.

The Kosher-est (is that a word?) deli that I know of within 50 or 75 miles of here is in Ormond Beach (on the north side of Daytona). Jerusalem Restaurant. Menus printed in Hebrew. Last time I was there, a few years ago, there were actually two restaurants side by side, one meat, the other with a dairy menu.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30531 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I was at Walmart in NH this morning. Lots of Claussen pickle jars in the refrigerated section. Maybe it's a local thing.....

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
I was at Walmart in NH this morning. Lots of Claussen pickle jars in the refrigerated section. Maybe it's a local thing.....

I'm gonna go check WalMart. You better not be gherkin my chain..

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:

The garlic flavor?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Didn't know that Claussen made Sauer kraut.

Is it good? Should I try it?

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes and yes.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
+1 on Bubbies Pickles. IMO, the best pickles you can buy in a jar.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
No Manny's in Orlando.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
An interesting article: https://www.epicurious.com/exp...buying-guide-article

The Absolute Best Kosher Dill Pickle: Claussen

Look for Claussen in your grocery store's refrigerated section for a pickle with plenty of crunch that's also loaded with a balanced vinegary kick and a good dose of spice. They're the perfect snacking pickle—sure, they'd be great on a burger or Chicago dog, but they're just as good as a side dish (or a movie snack if you're feeling weird). Tasters couldn't quite place their finger on the spices included here: was it fennel? Star anise? Or maybe cumin!? Most pickle brands keep their ingredient list esoteric and just list "spices" instead of the specific flavors, so we couldn't confirm. Whatever's happening inside the Claussen jar, we're here for it. And, more importantly, it's here for us.

The Kosher Dill Pickle That Divided Tasters: Ba-Tampte

Literally half of our group recoiled at the taste of this...uh, distinct...pickle. The other half could not understand how any other pickle in the tasting could possibly top it. Frankly, I'm of the former camp and liken its flavor to the aroma of medicinal cream. Other editors, such as Becky Hughes and Emily Johnson, found the signature smokiness excitingly different from the other samples. Anya Hoffman, who grew up in New York City, said that they reminded her of "the vat of pickles you get at an old-school New York City diner." Taste them and decide for yourself.

Our Favorite "Nostalgia" Pickle: Vlasic

"I'd eat it and enjoy it, but I also know it's not particularly good." This, from Anya, pretty much sums up our take on the Vlasic. This pickle tastes like the best version of the pickle you grew up eating. Sure, the interior is a little too mushy and there isn't a lot of spice or dynamic flavor, but there's a good vinegary kick, which is what you really need to complement a rich burger or barbecue sandwich. It also has a great crispness—where most of the shelf-stable, neon-green pickles were rubbery with chewy skins, these bit clean through and offered a textural resistance that made them rise to the top of the pack.

The Other Pickles We Tasted

We also tasted, in alphabetical order:

Archer Farms Kosher Dill Pickle Spears
365 Organic Kosher Dill Pickle Spears
B & G Kosher Dill Spears With Whole Spices
Boar's Head Kosher Dill Half-Cut Pickles
Market Pantry Kosher Dill Pickle Spears
Mt. Olive Kosher Dill Pickle Spears
Trader Joe's Organic Kosher Dill Pickle Spears
Woodstock Organic Organic Deli-Style Kosher Dill Pickle Spears

More often than not, what sent spears plummeting to the bottom was lack of snap—without it, pickles are merely salty, vinegary chew toys, AKA not delicious. A couple pickles had a sugary flavor that made them taste candied, and that is not a kosher dill's place in the foodsphere. Still others were deemed "fine" if a bit one-note. In my estimation, summer cook-outs are too few in number to settle for fine. Go big pickle flavor—even if that's smoky Ba-Tampte—or go home.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I also went to WM today and all they had were Claussen Spears. I picked up a couple of jars although I normally go for the sliced. I ate four of them with my tuna sandwich for lunch. Damn they were good.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Any one ever have Grillo's Classic dill pickles?

They're claimed to be made cold like Cluassen.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Just had some Grillo's today actually. Quite a large amount of dill. I'd give them a solid 7 out of 10. Maybe it's because I'm more of a bread and butter fan though.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Since y'all had me craving a good pickle and zero Claussen around, found these at Aldi. Very tasty, good garlic flavor and not as much sodium as others. I enjoyed them last night

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Since y'all had me craving a good pickle and zero Claussen around, found these at Aldi. Very tasty, good garlic flavor and not as much sodium as others.
Hmmm . . .

Several Aldi locations near here. I like their "not from concentrate" orange juice (with lots of pulp), maybe buck and a half less than the competition and every bit as good, if not better.

I'll grab a container of their pickles to give them a try if Claussen is not back in stock this week.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They had the Garlic Claussens at my Publix two days ago, albeit the sliced sandwich model, not the full on magilla....

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

They had the Garlic Claussens at my Publix two days ago, albeit the sliced sandwich model, not the full on magilla....
Which location?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים