SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Student loan forgiveness
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Student loan forgiveness Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Once this election is over, loan forgiveness will go away.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
If that happens we will have even more socially challenged individuals with limited skills. STEM is overrated and will pass with time.
I want my physician to have knowledge about medicine from actually seeing patients and doing cadaver dissections. Instead of college football we can all enjoy watching STEM nerds play frisbee. Sounds exciting!

Science Technology Engineering Math are where the high paying jobs are. And these fields are the ones that require the degrees. These nerds are the ones signing the front of the paychecks, not the back.

Posts: 652 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
hese nerds are the ones signing the front of the paychecks, not the back

^^^^^^^^
Clever did you hear that at a seminar promoting STEM??
It is not about money, it is about self satisfaction. Have you ever taken a Humanties course? Even Tony Soprano was curious about the human condition.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
U.S. judge declares Biden's student debt relief plan unlawful
By Nate Raymond

Nov 10 (Reuters) - A federal judge in Texas on Thursday ruled that President Joe Biden's plan to cancel hundreds of billions of dollars in student loan debt was unlawful and must be vacated, delivering a victory to conservative opponents of the program.

U.S. District Judge Mark Pittman, an appointee of former Republican President Donald Trump in Fort Worth, called the program an "unconstitutional exercise of Congress's legislative power" as he ruled in favor of two borrowers backed by a conservative advocacy group.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/...tutional-2022-11-11/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
STEM is overrated!

Try running a society/economy without it. Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that happens we will have even more socially challenged individuals with limited skills. STEM is overrated and will pass with time.
I want my physician to have knowledge about medicine from actually seeing patients and doing cadaver dissections. Instead of college football we can all enjoy watching STEM nerds play frisbee. Sounds exciting!

Without STEM there would be no physicians. I want my physician to be competent and understand physiology and medicine, not to be voted most popular. All physicians see patients and do dissections in medical school.

To deny that STEM is important to the basic function of society is short sighted. Advancements in STEM fields are responsible for most of the greatest improvements in standards of living throughout history, especially in the 20th century. Medicine and healthcare, infrastructure, energy, computing, food production, and research fields aren't staffed by people with humanities degrees.

Why the comparison with football? Being intelligent and excelling in a difficult course of study is somehow less important than athletic ability?

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think the better option would have been to remove or standardize the interest at a low rate. I’ve seen people with 2% and others with 9% on their school loans depending on when the installment was taken out. That has a major impact on those who needed them to get an education and are paying them.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah this is called refinancing in the mortgage business. It is fraught with fees and profitable for the lending institution. Charge them these fees.
Are you an apologist for the student loan forgiveness? I think it was vote buying and sends the wrong message to young people. I went to an expensive private University as did my two children, do I get a rebate on what I paid?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try running a society/economy without it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Go visit the Amish.LOL

I did not say stem was unimportant, it is just overrated. Not every kid wants to be Bill Nye. We need people in all professions. Artists,philosophers, writers etc. My university required premed students to take some liberal arts courses. Medical schools these days have a much broader curriculum than in the past. It is not all stem.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
My wife is a public school teacher. She is finishing her Master's degree in education shortly, so I put in for the loan forgiveness. My thoughts are, this is a small part of the compensation she should be getting as a teacher.

It may not go anywhere, but the application took a whole 5 minutes.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The government used to have programs that would pay the loan if the teacher agreed to go to a poverty stricken area. Same for physicians. Those programs made sense.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The government used to have programs that would pay the loan if the teacher agreed to go to a poverty stricken area. Same for physicians. Those programs made sense.

Public Service Loan Forgiveness. It's still around. Make 10 years payments and a borrower is eligible for a loan payoff. Can apply anytime and the .gov will keep track of how many payments you've made, and how many more you need.

My wife is in the program, she qualified as a RN working for a non-profit elderly care facility.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
{snip}..... STEM is overrated and will pass with time. ...{snip}....

wait, what?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it seems Coding folks at Twitter and Meta are finding they are no longer needed. NPs were the talk of the town, and now there is an oversupply. We will always need teachers{who have education degrees} and tradesmen who are presently in short supply. A guy who lost his job in sales, told me he could always get a job because he was good at it and there was always a need somewhere.
STEM will fade as well, just like the slide rule. Not everybody is good in math or engineering.

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Isn't the point of STEM programs to encourage those that are good at math and science to use their skills to perform a function that not everyone is capable of?

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
In our local schools STEM is oversold and is marketed as the path to a high paying career. All other fields rate fifth place. I had my fill of STEM growing up, although the term was not used back then.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I'll just leave this here (I'm an engineer) Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
How can taxpayers be asked to contribute to a loan they didn't not originally agree to? The term may have been crappy.

Secondly, what scrutiny goes into how the loan money was spent? Tuition only? Books? Living expenses? Spring break in Florida? Cars? Trips?

I think this is one more issue that will sink Biden and his cronies.
I don't think it will go through. I think it's a political move that will will drag on until it's time to vote for a President and then blame the failure on uncaring Republicans.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll just leave this here (I'm an engineer)

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah and a Boilermaker too. My father was an engineer and all my friends dads were chemists,physicists, and the like. My father wanted me to major in Engineering when I struggled with high school algebra. I chose liberal arts instead and am happy I made that choice. Most engineering majors I met in College were socially challenged and had lots of trouble with writing coherent papers. They helped a lot with the curve in English literature. They were snappy dressers with a two foot slide rule on their belts and a gigantic Texas instrument calculator on their desk..

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Still hopelessly infatuated with Lacy Underall after all these years.
Thanks for the post, tatertodd

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post