SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If You Run Out Of Fingers Before You Run Out Of items, You Do Not Belong In The Ten Items Or Less Line.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If You Run Out Of Fingers Before You Run Out Of items, You Do Not Belong In The Ten Items Or Less Line. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

The Meijer markets around here have two types of self service lanes. A good number of “12 items or less” and a lesser number of “Unlimited” lanes. When people adhere to that, it flows reasonably quickly.[/QUOTE]

Let’s trade Meijer stores and managers!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between counting and caring.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

There is a difference between counting and caring.
You might have identified the problem!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
In fact, if counting in base-2, with just four fingers and two thumbs one can count to 1,023. I was demonstrating this to my kids last night and they thought the number 4 was hilarious.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
if counting in base-2, with just four fingers and two thumbs one can count to 1,023
I think it would take eight fingers (four on each hand) and two thumbs, to get to 1023.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
if counting in base-2, with just four fingers and two thumbs one can count to 1,023
I think it would take eight fingers (four on each hand) and two thumbs, to get to 1023.

You're right V-Tail..

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
100% correct. I was going to type four fingers and a thumb on each hand or eight fingers and two thumbs, but I had a brain fart.

I'll be subbing for computer class on Monday and Tuesday and thought I'd show the students how to do it, except 4 and 132 present a problem.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I always find these threads amusing, and am glad I no longer am in the Grocery Biz,

I ran a couple of stores that did not have enough registers on some days of the month, so the express lanes just became another lane,

had a guy stop me and started to raise heck due to the registers all having big cart loads in them,

'what the hell is going on,, all I need is this gallon of milk?'

I reminded him it was the 1st of the month,, , as in Food Stamp day,

his comment was damn, I forgot, see you in a few days and put he put the milk back

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
As far as I'm concerned, self-checkouts are supposed to be express lines. I know they're not, but it still pisses me off when there's a line and it's not moving because of jackwads with buggy-fulls doing it themselves. And it takes extra long because there's not enough room in the bagging area to bag all their stuff.

With banks no longer taking coins, I admit to using the self-checkouts to get rid of accumulated coins but at least do it when it's slow and nobody around.

That reminds me, I don't see those Coin Shortage signs anymore.

And as far as I’m concerned, it’s open to all, unless it says otherwise. I don’t want to make polite chitchat with a checkout clerk, be asked to “round up” to support whatever is on the plate today for contributions, and I don't want my things bagged by someone asking me “paper or plastic”, I want to be left the F alone to sort and bag my shit in peace.
I always use a credit card, so I’m not slowing anyone down there. I have yet to see a sign that says 10 or less for self checkout where I live, and I do wonder where people come up with edicts like this. Don’t like it, find a different self serve lane. There’s usually at least 4 where I shop. Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
A surcharge should be added to all items that are scanned after the 10th item is scanned.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:

A surcharge should be added to all items that are scanned after the 10th item is scanned.
My idea, is that the register should show a total and refuse to process any additional items after the 10th.
Question: Publix has a bunch of "Buy One Get One" things every week. Does the free one count toward the ten items?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:

My idea, is that the register should show a total and refuse to process any additional items after the 10th.
Question: Publix has a bunch of "Buy One Get One" things every week. Does the free one count toward the ten items?

This was my thought, maybe give a two item grace,

That "we don't want to upset the customer" response is BS...

You don't want to upset the jackhole that abuses the lane, but you are fine with upsetting the 5 customers that are a just trying to get home from work who stopped to pick up 3 items in that line...

How the hell does that logically work...

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

I’ve been in the regular line with a few items over and the express line is empty. The cashier will call me over. Inevitably some person with under the required amount will immediately show up behind me and get all pissy about it. Now if it happens I just stay out to avoid that.
There's a big difference between "a few items over" vs. a cart that is 3/4 full.

I have no problem if the ten-or-fewer lane is empty and somebody with twelve or fourteen items goes through it, but I do tend to get just a wee bit pissy if some rectal orifice with dozens of things uses that line. And then they add insult to injury by waiting until everything hs been scanned, bagged, and placed in the cart before pulling out the coupon wallet and the checkbook.

Got stuck behind one at the market the other day. Wrestling with his pants to keep the from getting too far down his thighs while unloading a full cart at the 12 items or less line. Once its was all checked and bagged, loaded back into the cart, the debit card didn't have enough balance to pay for it. Had to stand there while items were removed until he could afford what was left.

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm becoming a "crotchety" old man.

If the express line has a 10-item limit, I've been known to loudly state, 11, 12, 13, 14, etc., but only if they are way over the limit.

The guilty party looks back and if they say anything there are all kinds of replies I can use:

a) sorry, I assumed you didn't know how to count and I'm just trying to help you learn how to count above 10, or,
b) see all the people you've held up behind you because you ignored the fact this is a 10-time limit line,
c) etc.

After the person leaves, and without fail, the cashier tells me management will NOT let them call out the violators but they appreciate other patrons do so.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Have you seen this before? Grocery self checkout line. Trophy wife has too many items, akin to the thread title. Takes her sweet ass time during the checkout. NO sense of urgency whatsoever. Slow as molasses. Finally when the thing is done she gets the receipt and proceeds to examine every single line item, blocking the register from anyone else moving forward and getting out of the store. I think my head was completely sideways just staring at her. Dude if it charged you extra you are heading to customer service anyways. People not only no longer have spatial awareness, they don't give a fuck.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Have you seen this before? Grocery self checkout line. Trophy wife has too many items, akin to the thread title. Takes her sweet ass time during the checkout.
I think my head was completely sideways just staring at her. Dude if it charged you extra you are heading to customer service anyways. People not only no longer have spatial awareness, they don't give a fuck.

But was she wearing a bra?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s not so much the number of items, but the band width of the customers. You have seen that old lady with cat food and fiber take twenty minutes to scan and feed in pennies, dimes and single dollars while your head explodes.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post