SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Vocal Fry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vocal Fry Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
I don't know how or why speaking with vocal fry became popular but it's annoying AF.

Sitting on a conference call and the main presenter has a heavy vocal fry voice. Listening to her is worse than nails on a chalkboard.

For the love of God, speak up with authority....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Valley girl was bad, this is horrible. Not common in the South. Had never heard it before.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ That was classic Razz

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it comes from Valley Girl Speak and was popularized by TV and folks like the Kardasians. It’s supposed to imply that ”I’m so rich, board and cool and so above the rest of you that I’m going to talk like this to show you how board I am with you and everything else”.

It was adopted by a whole generation of females. Instead of the intended message it really announces that the speaker has a double digit IQ (1/2 of the population does) and has grown so tired of not being able to comprehend anything but the most simple parts of life that they have given up. Instead, to mask their insecurities and low verbal skills, they have adopted the cult like group-speak of rich, shallow and vacuous low IQ west coast females of inherited wealth.

Such affectation really detracts from those who hold important jobs as no one takes them seriously.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
So annoying! I got the Tooooodd at the coffee shop the other day.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23101 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
As bad as it is, it could be worse. Imagine hearing that from someone with duck lips. And you don't have to imagine because the two are commonly used together, an auditory and visual assault all in one.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Someone who might be married to me talks like this at times. I call it her strangled voice. It's like she expels all the air from her lungs before speaking.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
In the vid posted by Ryan, was that Capt Nixon?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:

I recognize him as the guy on the Office Space movie. Did a search and it shows he was a Captain Nixon.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:

Yep. Ron Livingston.

That clip is from his recent TV series Loudermilk.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
What - no example? Or is the movie clip an accurate representation of what you're describing? I aren't smartz enuf to no all thees fanzy terms.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The way the girl talks in that movie clip is what they're describing... That raspy down-talk that younger women think makes them sound detached and sophisticated, but just makes them sound stupid.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Got it. Agreed - makes me want to stab a bitch.

Unfortunately my wife does that sometimes, can't narrow down what the driver is since it's rare and random, but I've started saying something along the lines of "hey, go back to your pretty normal voice instead of your deep serious voice" with good success and no injury.

Someone posted another time about kids using an affect where they raise their voice at end of sentences making statements ending in a period sound like an inquisitive question? (see what I did there) I could stab someone over that too, but in my case that would be my daughter and SIL.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't hear it at all where I live but then again, I don't go out to many places.
LGS, grocery store, work and that's about it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I think I've found a new show to watch!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Just a new, different version of this.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I think I've found a new show to watch!

I just started watching Loudermilk last night, holy crap that show is hilarious.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is less common here in the Yoop. But what is common is mumbling and not looking at you face to face when trying to transact something.
Which is equally annoying! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post