SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Neighborhood speeders!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighborhood speeders! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We live on a paved private dead end drive. It was paved as a neighborhood funded project. Not a full state/county road width. There are families with young children that live on the drive. Yet it is treated by some as open highway. If I had young children, I would not be a popular neighbor. As it is, I just drive very slowly (slower than usual)when someone is behind me. Don’t guess that matters very much. Would love to see speed bumps added as another privately funded project. I think that a few teeth jarring episodes would help the issue.

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Just put this sign up... same on both sides:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
We have them in my neighborhood plus parking on both sides of the street randomly. Plus those that think they should run in the street instead of using the sidewalk.

Several years ago, a cab must have been doing 45+ MPH when there was a cop car behind me that he saw at the last minute. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Plus those that think they should run in the street instead of using the sidewalk.

There's a reason for that: concrete is harder than asphalt and will beat you up more if you run any significant distance. Also in some places the sidewalk crosses driveway aprons or is otherwise very uneven.

Posts: 914 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
The street in our neighborhood is shaped like a "P" with a small cul-de-sac hung of the loop part. In total about 3/4 of a mile and a total of 54 homes. Anyone driving on the street lives here, is visiting someone that lives here, is delivering something to someone who lives here, is a contractor or a school bus.

PA law states that a street like ours has a 25 mph speed limit.

Yet people speed. Including residents of the neighborhood and school buses. One neighbor with 7 children puts a sign in her driveway to slow down. Then she gets in her car and drives 40. We have others. I used to signal them to slow down, I have given up.

I drive 20 since there are kids, many deer and it is a neighborhood.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure it's a contributing factor, but our neighborhood has taken a silly approach to posting a limit way below what anyone will do and expect it to stick.

This is a pretty big area with easily 3-car wide roads, open yards in 100% of cases but a lot of kids and stop signs at nearly every intersection. And tweens driving golf carts of course. I'm not saying a "natural" speed in that environment is 15, but 25-30 is pretty reasonable since half the time you're barely getting to that.

The speeders you see most of the time are the moms, the same mom cohort you will see berating folks for speeding. Not the the same individuals I'm sure, but still.

Oh - the speed limit. Set at 18 MPH. Why that you ask? Well because I have the misfortune of being marooned in MS currently, and Peyton or Archie Manning had some peripheral involvement in the area, or it was just a bunch of Ole Miss fans. Their number was 18 at various points. So, they've selected a speed limit that is virtually unachievable and just silly to boot. To the point a neighbor had someone step off curb in front of them recently, nearly get hit, but proceed to waiver her hand at a sign yelling about 18 MPH speed limit.

Genius. Hey - I went to Auburn and liked Bo so THAT'S why I'm driving 34. There.

I guess I should be glad they didn't go with Archies number 8....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shikemd:

There's a reason for that: concrete is harder than asphalt and will beat you up more if you run any significant distance.

More than getting hit by a car?

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get off my lawn.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by shikemd:

There's a reason for that: concrete is harder than asphalt and will beat you up more if you run any significant distance.

More than getting hit by a car?

Plus, it’s illegal in Florida for pedestrians to walk/run on the road if there are sidewalks.

Posts: 10825 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Plus, it’s illegal in Florida for pedestrians to walk/run on the road if there are sidewalks.

My previous neighbor is with the sheriff's office here and he actually wrote 3 ladies tickets for this.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I live on a dead end street with twelve houses. It is in "the county" and I own the road from my property to the main road. My place is the first house on the street. Three houses turned over in the past year, and new people were ripping 40 mph down the "road". The one homeboy even had a newish Lamborghini. That shit slowed down real quick when I paid to have a massive tabletop speedbump installed.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I live on a dead end street with twelve houses. It is in "the county" and I own the road from my property to the main road. My place is the first house on the street. Three houses turned over in the past year, and new people were ripping 40 mph down the "road". The one homeboy even had a newish Lamborghini. That shit slowed down real quick when I paid to have a massive tabletop speedbump installed.

We are on a similar road, except it goes uphill to the cul-de-sac.

More than a few people (read: non-residence visitors and DHL delivery guy) race up and then down when they realize they are lost (or after delivering).

Aaand, more than a few times a kid's size ball has slipped from my grips and rolled out into the street from between two vehicles.

DHL driver had the nerve to curse me out - while the camera was rolling. He never came back, nor have I seen DHL. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
We live in Mccandless PA in an older neighborhood with lots of connecting streets. I find it kinda ironic that our worst speeders are 24hr in-your-business Karens. The type who regularly complain about anything that offends their social sensitivity.
They come blasting around corners in premium SUVs doing 40-50 while yakking on their bluetooth so loudly we can hear them from the yard as they roar by. I have found that two things work well with these characters… the first is to step out by the road and yell “slow down!” loudly at them as they speed by (because everyone who is outside turns to gawk) and second- whip out my phone and start shooting video.

Boy, do they not like that (because these particular ones live for social media) and will look around and immediately slow. One even apologized… Once.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Our street had this problem when I was a child, thus the children on the street were strictly prohibited from playing in the street. Getting caught doing it, by any adult, would result in a time out. Back then, we didn't have our own TVs, mobile devices, and computers to keep us amused whilst in confinement, so this was not an attractive prospect.

We weren't even allowed to ride our bikes in the street.

When we got a bit older the rules were relaxed, as, by then, we were assumed to have learned enough to know to pay attention.

I recall two incidents on our street.

One time dad was right there when a kid went screaming down the street--again. Dad got into the mighty station wagon and went after him. Turned out the young man lived down near the other end of our street. Dad had words with him. It did not happen again.

Another time somebody came whipping around the corner, onto our street, lost it, ran head-on into a phone pole nearly opposite our house, and put his head right into his windshield. I vividly recall the starred windshield and blood to this day.

My recollection is the driver didn't survive it.

This reminded me of a great event in my childhood in the early 60’s.
We moved to Nashua NH and we had a major snowstorm (like we used to get back then) and our street wasn’t plowed for days. Some people tried to get through but most didn’t make it. Across the street from us my best friends yard was a pretty nice hill that sloped into the street.
My Dad, who couldn’t get to work took 2 sawhorses from the garage and put signs on them stating the road was closed and put them in the middle of the street so all the kids in the neighborhood could sled down the hill into the street.
We had a blast! Thanks Dad!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Just this afternoon as I was mowing my front yard and saw a sheriff deputy car pull up to a across the street to a neighbor.. It appeared to be friendly so I approached and asked him if he would pass onto whoever that I was giving permission for them to use my personal driveway to set up and run radar to slow the speeders down.. Posted 20mph limit but that is totally ignored and the worst speeders are the school busses... Said he would contact the traffic division as well as he would be happy to patrol our subdivision.... our entrance is the main entrance with 2 other backside entrances with at least 650 homes at last count. Hope the speeders get the message. .................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post