SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Neighborhood speeders!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighborhood speeders! Login/Join 
posted
I live on a residential street with a 20mph speed limit. I get cars going double that and more. I have kids man. I tried to get the city and county to add speed bumps but because my street turns into a state highway five miles away, there is nothing to be done.
When I check my mail, I make sure to be really slow about it and take up an entire lane... walk back and bend over like I'm trying to see in the back of the mailbox.
When I pull out of my driveway, I do the old man pause when going from reverse to drive. I've even put a Radio Flyer in the street. They just swerve around it.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 645 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
20mph at our house too, luckily we're a connector between 2 main streets, so not a ton of traffic.

At our old house, we had a corner lot & it was stop sign runners that irked me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
My ssisters house has a stop sign on the the corner out front. It's mostly ignored. For years she wrote down plate numbers, took videos and pictures. Police said they could do nothing. Best they ever did was park a cop there once in a while. She gave up.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stop sign near my house, maybe 1 out of 25 cars stop.
I can't count how many times I've almost been T-Boned.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Spike Strips! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Yep. Have the same issue in our neighborhood. Normally I hate speed bumps, But am starting to rethink that position.

But then if I was in Norway, I would be laughing like a 13 year old kid...

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Spike Strips! Big Grin
Sailor1911 SSS Smile

I live on a *maybe* 100 yard long dead end residential street.

Someone stole the 25mph sign that the DOT posted about halfway.

I am pissed off beyond measure. Mad

I'll try to post photos tomorrow.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Our street had this problem when I was a child, thus the children on the street were strictly prohibited from playing in the street. Getting caught doing it, by any adult, would result in a time out. Back then, we didn't have our own TVs, mobile devices, and computers to keep us amused whilst in confinement, so this was not an attractive prospect.

We weren't even allowed to ride our bikes in the street.

When we got a bit older the rules were relaxed, as, by then, we were assumed to have learned enough to know to pay attention.

I recall two incidents on our street.

One time dad was right there when a kid went screaming down the street--again. Dad got into the mighty station wagon and went after him. Turned out the young man lived down near the other end of our street. Dad had words with him. It did not happen again.

Another time somebody came whipping around the corner, onto our street, lost it, ran head-on into a phone pole nearly opposite our house, and put his head right into his windshield. I vividly recall the starred windshield and blood to this day.

My recollection is the driver didn't survive it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I live on a one-way street that slopes downward in a very gradual hill for two blocks and it's SUPPOSED to be 25 mph

The problem is, people use it 24/7 as a shortcut to another road and they will come zooming through going 40, 50, 60 mph Mad

My wife will stand in the street and scream at them if she's right there and they usually give her this blank stare like "DUHHHHHHHHHHH?" Clueless Roll Eyes

When I'm loading and unloading kids or stuff out of our cars and I see one of these idiots coming, I open my car door all the way open and start moving out into the street more and more till they are forced to slow way down to get around me. It usually works but every so often they just zoom around me like it's nothing. It's at that point I would like to launch a brick through their rear window.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
I live on a residential street with a 20mph speed limit. I get cars going double that and more. I have kids man. I tried to get the city and county to add speed bumps but because my street turns into a state highway five miles away, there is nothing to be done.
When I check my mail, I make sure to be really slow about it and take up an entire lane... walk back and bend over like I'm trying to see in the back of the mailbox.
When I pull out of my driveway, I do the old man pause when going from reverse to drive. I've even put a Radio Flyer in the street. They just swerve around it.

20mph is insanely low. I can't imagine anyone actually honoring that. Cruise on my car won't even set below 25, and that's the only way I'm maintaining a speed so ridiculously low.

You're deliberately putting debris in the street? That's probably not lawful and leaves little room to complain.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like you're deliberately causing hazards and are quite more dangerous than someone going a little faster than the sign says.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Clearly some of you don't live on residential streets with people zooming down them going 60 mph or you wouldn't be saying stupid shit like "20 mph is insanely low"...or you are the leadfooted people we are talking about.

There is NO EFFING REASON to drive down a RESIDENTIAL street with lots of little kids playing going faster than 20-25 mph Mad

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

There is NO EFFING REASON to drive down a RESIDENTIAL street with lots of little kids playing going faster than 20-25 mph Mad

Maybe it's not the safest thing one can do but...no reason? That's a pretty big assumption. I'm sure there are reasons. Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Roll a little girl's dolly stroller (with doll inside) from between two cars and into the street. Watch as hilarity ensues. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eagle10
posted Hide Post
Occasionally when a large branch falls in my yard, it magically bounces into the street. Sort of like a speed bump.

Posts: 112 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Had somer idiot on a smaller crouth rocket not happy with my 44 in a 35 on my road. So in a no passing zone, on a curve he guns it to about 65 and passes....right into a pickup coming the other way. I have no doubt he shit himself as he barely was able to pull back into the lane.

all in all a mile down the road he was right in front of me at a light. So he saved what?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
...snip...

20mph is insanely low. I can't imagine anyone actually honoring that. Cruise on my car won't even set below 25, and that's the only way I'm maintaining a speed so ridiculously low.

Come to a military base. Residential areas are 15. And if you're clocked at 16, expect the MPs to Serve and Protected the shit out of you. On base I was on we kept a 'Wall of Shame" for every infraction we earned on base. And yes, one of my petty officers did get a ticket for doing 16 in a 15.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s 30 on ours but people do the same thing and drive 40, or 50 mph. We also have a park that has public parking on a residential street. On the 30mph I’ll go 25 mph. In front of the park I cruise at 20 mph. People will rip through that street where the park is. I mean I hate the fucking public parking for it. Idiots show up, have siesta and trash the entire park. Even though I hat ethe public access man there is kids getting unloaded, dogs, baby strollers, etc, so you really need to slow down and be careful. You don’t want to hit a kid or run over someone’s dog that got loose by accident. I mean most dog owners are idiots and don’t train the animals.

One time this kid is in a high end Infiniti and he was trying to rip through there so I do my typical 20 mph. He swerves and goes around me punching it. Had to be doing 40 or 50 mph. I lock the brakes up then as I’m about to turn left he stops 20 yards in front of me and starts yelling. Saying my car is a POS. It was a current model turbo diesel Jetta Wagon 6MT. I go home, leave the diesel idling, let the dog out to relieve herself then drove around the neighborhood until I found that mother fucker’s vehicle. Knock on the door and granny answers. I tell her to get him. He comes to the door and hides like a coward behind her. I explain to this woman what this idiot did. How he could hit a kid, a dog, and that he is a “fucking moron”. She apologizes and goes on to say how she and her husband are raising him and his sister because apparently the mother was on drugs and the dad was long gone or something, a loser. Basically making excuses for his sociopathic behavior. I explain to her that he also did all this then cussed me out, called my car a “piece of shit” and called me a “piece of shit” and I asked if we should just call the PD because if he does it again I will pull him out of the car and put him in the hospital. I told her I live in the neighborhood and had to raise myself as a child so all those excuses she gave were absolute bullshit. She begged me not to call the PD so I didn’t but got damn.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:

Come to a military base. Residential areas are 15. And if you're clocked at 16, expect the MPs to Serve and Protected the shit out of you. On base I was on we kept a 'Wall of Shame" for every infraction we earned on base. And yes, one of my petty officers did get a ticket for doing 16 in a 15.
At the gun club I belong to, speed limit is 5 mph. RADAR enforced. Yes, really.

A friend of mine, who was one of the organizers of this club many years ago, and served several terms as one of the early presidents, board member, etc., was "busted" by an RO-Nazi, RADAR measured 8 mph coming in the gate. Speedometer in his truck does not move at all, below 10 mph.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Our house is the 4th house inside of the main entrance and hardly any one obeys the posted 20mph sped limit.... many are 10 to 20 over by the time they enter and pass our house and the outbound traffic is at least that speed or greater.. Have to be very careful when backing out of drive way because of the speeders even though they are coming out of a blind curve about 75yards away...... Have been turning left into our driveway with turn signal on and cars come from behind blowing their horn as they pass me on my left between me and a street light pole at the edge of the driveway... has happened several times when driving my car as well as my motorcycle.. Slow down... Have given the sheriffs department the permission to park in my driveway to run radar anytime they desire to..... Have had some neighbors blow their car horn and even the middle finger as they pass by but I do not care that have maybe caused some of them to pay speeding tickets. .. So be it...... .Some of the worst offenders are the school buses as they make their pickups and deliveries. .Have reported to school board authorities but they still speed.. Maybe after a few speeding ticket they will get the message. ... Till then just slowdown. ............................................ drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post