SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    “Market Price” On Restaurant Menu
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Market Price” On Restaurant Menu Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Wow, that’s a first.

It seems like traditionally when you see “market price” on a menu it would be for lobster or some kind of high end steak or something. I’ve also been seeing in the past year or so on menus for wings.

Friday night was out with the wife at a local brewpub type place and the burger they feature was listed as “market price”.

Has inflation gotten that out of control that a freaking hamburger now has to be market priced? Roll Eyes

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Never heard a hamburger being market price. Fancy place?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5281 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waygu???

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Well, how much was it?

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Well, how much was it?

I didn’t get it

But have had it before and it was decent. A higher end custom grind including brisket as I recall. But seems a little weird or pretentious to list that as “market price”.

If anything, that would discourage sales I’d think?

Posts: 33594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
As fast as prices are skyrocketing, it’s easier than printing a new menu every day.

Posts: 13734 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I didn’t get it

But have had it before and it was decent. A higher end custom grind including brisket as I recall. But seems a little weird or pretentious to list that as “market price”.

If anything, that would discourage sales I’d think?

Agree 100%.

Market Price has always been in the if I have to ask, I can’t afford it category. It’s proven true the few times in my life I’ve dared to ask.

Market Price on a burger in a brew pub is silly.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Market price is code for : “The market says I am not eating that”.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see this frequently in seafood restaurants. The price of shrimp and oysters vary daily. Sometimes the prices are on a blackboard. It does not always mean high priced. Saves printing menus.

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
What isn't priced at market price? Irritates the hell out of me when I see that on a menu. Set the price you need and I'll pay it. But it insults my intelligence to have "market price" on some items, but not on others. What are the fixed price items - not subject to market prices?

Posts: 3491 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What the fuck? Market price on hamburgers?

That's scary for the whole economy. Makes me think you're gonna need to wheel barrow your money in when you come in to eat.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19579 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A local restaurant replaced the freestanding "wait here for hostess" sign with "chicken wings: market price"

Posts: 5405 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
What isn't priced at market price? Irritates the hell out of me when I see that on a menu. Set the price you need and I'll pay it. But it insults my intelligence to have "market price" on some items, but not on others. What are the fixed price items - not subject to market prices?

Yes.

That's literally what it means.

The price is set with enough margin that the prices are not subject to market forces at the time of the printing of the menu.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I see this frequently in seafood restaurants. The price of shrimp and oysters vary daily. Sometimes the prices are on a blackboard. It does not always mean high priced. Saves printing menus.

I don't have a problem with it at all IF they have it posted. I HATE it when I go to a restaurant and items are market price but I have to ask what market price is. Unfortunately, it seems like I see more of the latter than the former and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For entry level food employees, the goal seems to be to get laid off, stay at home and get free money. Just like Covid. We have noticed the attention put into sandwich assembly seems non- existent

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yeah…”Market Price”. Unless I just have a MASSIVE hankering for that lobster, it pretty much means “I’m outta here”. For a burger?!? Ummmmmmmm…“F” that!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11050 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
What the fuck? Market price on hamburgers?

That's scary for the whole economy. Makes me think you're gonna need to wheel barrow your money in when you come in to eat.

We have cut down quite a bit on the beef. Prices have gotten so high.

Posts: 13044 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had some "market priced" Barramundi last weekend. I didn't inquire about the price, and it was delicious.

When I received the bill, I was a little shocked at the price (~1/3 to ~1/2 more expensive) and would've been just as happy with one of the fish with a price listed (e.g. Texas redfish).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post