SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Random Obituaries
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Random Obituaries Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I get it. Betty White passes and it’s probably worth a mention.

But, holy hell, what is the obsession with posting random obituaries of so and so who coached football at some point- DEAD AT 89. Like it’s some kind of a shock that someone died at 89 years of age.

And then the “speculators” show up, and invariably try to link the death to the COVID vaccine. Because that seems to be all some people can think about.

And then comes posting it in multiple forums.

Have people become that ghoulish?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37073 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
We have a fund setup to post a full page ad of your obituary in the NY Times with a list of all the criminals you brought to justice. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Some will be happy to see it. Smile

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37073 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
But, holy hell, what is the obsession with posting random obituaries of so and so who coached football at some point- DEAD AT 89. Like it’s some kind of a shock that someone died at 89 years of age.

And then the “speculators” show up, and invariably try to link the death to the COVID vaccine. Because that seems to be all some people can think about.
I agree. We need to be more imaginitive in our contributions to the forum, and less morbid.

Members should be selective when posting death announcements and the like.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107228 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’ve always thought that if a vast majority of the forum membership would immediately recognize and/or be shocked by the name, it would be a good post. (Betty White, Bob Saget, Norm Macdonald).

But yeah, the OP brings up an interesting point. Many of our musical and TV heroes are getting up there in age; do we make a separate post as each member of a band passes away? I don’t remember if we had a Mike Nesmith (The Monkeys) post, but if we did, we probably didn’t need it. When Ringo dies? Paul McCartney is on a different level though and will probably deserve his own discussion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12301 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't bother trying to be first to post here about some news. I figure if it's important enough, someone most likely beat me to it anyway. If it's not important, why bother. Either way, less work for me.

I am waiting for news that Susan Lucci has died. My wife binge watches soap operas and I'm constantly remembering All My Children.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19574 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
If so many members want to post death notices, maybe they should ask Para if he will set up a section called “The Viewing,” “Calling Times,” “Wake” or the “Quiet Room,” I’ve posted an obit on here but some people seemed a little more focused on it.

Posts: 2762 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
If so many members want to post death notices, maybe they should ask Para if he will set up a section called “The Viewing,” “Calling Times,” “Wake” or the “Quiet Room,” I’ve posted an obit on here but some people seemed a little more focused on it.

Now I think that is a darn good idea. I even like your suggested names that Para could use if he agrees. How about "Forrest Lawn" or "Whispering Pines".

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no. We just need to be more selective about posting such things. We're not setting up a funeral home in the forum.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
If so many members want to post death notices, maybe they should ask Para if he will set up a section called ...

Wouldn't matter. People would post the damn things to the lounge, anyway, because that's the only section on SF that some members appear to know about.

(I've already seen para's response to the idea. Wasn't hard to see that coming.)

On-topic: I agree with jljones.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
To quote George Carlin, one of the people I can do without, “ a Funeral Director who says hope to see you folks real soon.”

Posts: 2762 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I often use the scroll function on my mouse and avoid posts that I don't care to view. This one piqued my interest so here I am.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
This one piqued my interest so here I am.

Thank you for using the correct word "piqued" instead of "peaked", which is what is frequently used.

On topic - agree with limiting, or not even posting, the obituaries. Posting more of them, and posting them more frequently, is akin to the Obama years when the flag was at half-staff pretty much every day.

Also, posting the obituary of someone who is still active in their trade (Betty White, Bob Saget, etc.) is one thing, but for someone who has been retired for decades and has been relegated to memory to begin with?

Lastly, and I'm sure this will rub some the wrong way, I don't see any positive effect of posting an obituary in the first place. All it does is garner a bunch of "RIP so-and-so" and how sad it is that part of one's youth is gone.

It's all just a big downer and harshes the collective mellow so stop with the negative waves. Smile

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I often use the scroll function on my mouse and avoid posts that I don't care to view. This one piqued my interest so here I am.

This post has absolutely zero to do with avoiding posts, the ability or inability to ignore what you don’t care for, and everything to do with why people have the obsession with posting some random obituary, often in multiple forums. It seems that it is happening more often, and I don’t get the morbid obsession. Even with the ones I kind of get (Betty White, Bob Saget), there seems to be a race to post “Hey, did you hear Bob Saget died?”. Para locks them, and they keep coming.

www.opspectraining.com

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Annnnd again

Who?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
All it does is garner a bunch of "RIP so-and-so" and how sad it is that part of one's youth is gone.
Yes, a couple of pages of "RIP" and "Rest in peace", that stuff is tedious. How about posting a comment about your relation to the deceased? That is to say, posting a comment about when you first became aware of them, or how the deceased affected your life in some way, or what they meant to you? How about a funny story about them, or posting something you think that may not be generally known about them?

A substantive contribution is always preferable to "RIP".

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Annnnd again

Who?
If you were a little older, you wouldn't be asking who is Ronnie Spector. On top of that, the thread clearly shows who she was and her significance to music and pop culture.

While I agree that we need to cool it with posting death notices anytime anyone of note passes away, I don't want to see members getting militant about this and giving a hard time to those who post such threads. Whether or not content is appropriate for this forum is my decision. Use the report-this-post function if you have a concern about anything posted in this forum.

posted Hide Post
I always wondered at what age do you start reading obituaries. Now that newspapers are rare where do people find them to read and why is it so interesting. If it’s someone you know well enough to attend their funeral don’t you find out they’re dead before the obituary is online.

Posts: 3872 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why Betty White but not some football coach? Different people mean different things to many of us. One might not give two shits about one but adore the other. I’m all for sharing memories of what the latest deceased famous person meant to any one of us. Most of us are here to connect with others in some way. We find meaning in different things. Remarking on passings brings some of us together in a small way.

I know Betty White from the Golden Girls. It was a funny show. John Madden coached my favorite team before I really understood the game. He commented on games in a manner that allowed me to understand the game. His video games gave me hours of fun.

Dupe posts are annoying but at a really low level. I may not appreciate the work of someone or even know who they are so a thread on their death is easily skipped.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

I always wondered at what age do you start reading obituaries.
I'm 85. I check the obits on the iPad, first thing in the morning.

If I do not see my name there, I get up and go about my day.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30533 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post