SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    At the rummage sale today...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At the rummage sale today... Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
The idiot was asking $80 for a box of 20 Winchester 45/70 rounds.

Even if you hate Walmart, they were selling the same thing for $46.50 a couple of weeks ago.

Firearms deer opener today in MN, so:

Gouging intensifies....

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Being 45-70 he might think they have historical value.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:

At that price he'll be able to find out since he'll have them for years.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:

At that price he'll be able to find out since he'll have them for years.

Big Grin

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are two types that have garage sales.
One that wants to make money
And
The other wants to make space and get rid of stuff that others may find useful.

Did you counter offer?

The can always come down but it's hard to raise a price.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
He could counter offer but I seem to remember a thread here somewhere about a 60% offer being ridiculous.

In this case, a 40% offer would be better.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
His merch, his price. You could have countered!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I did counter-offer. He wasn't interested.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
I would have counteroffered a reasonable price that I would have been willing to pay but i am sure that he would have gotten mad at me and would to call the cops to have me removed from his property... Remember your treasures do not make me get weak in the knees and fallover to your desires................................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Did you tell them you're angry, and you're gonna head straight home and pitch your bitch on SigForum?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
Did you tell them you're angry, and you're gonna head straight home and pitch your bitch on SigForum?

Of course, and he replied: 'Publish and be damned!'

posted Hide Post
I typically will not counteroffer when the asking is ridiculous. If they are asking way over market, usually turns out to be someone I don't want to even bother dealing with. Happens at gun shows a lot. When someone is asking say 100 bucks for something because he bought it during some panic, and every table around you are selling it for 30, I'm not even going to bother.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:

Of course, and he replied: 'Publish and be damned!'

Well, that's a beefy response.

I was at a garage sale this weekend. There was an 1923 Victorola for sale, $1,500.00. The cabinet wood was dry, stained, and faded. The interior was nasty. Nope to that price. Maybe $50 or $100 considering the work to be done.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t of countered at that price either, he’ll never come down enough to be reasonable anyway.

Yes, his ammo, his price, I’d look elsewhere.

Just did a quick search, $2.50 a round on up, not cheap anywhere. Depending on the type of ammo, $60 seems reasonable currently.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Long ago (30 years) in a land far, far away (Lexington) we went to a gun show. At the first table a guy had a great Browning M1878. He wanted $300 but came down to $250. So of course I bought it. To heavy to carry the whole show, so we took it out to the car (my buddy's car, I drove Jeeps). We went back in and sure enough, some guy was trying to sell ammo for it. $2.50 a box if I bought it all, so I did. About the end of the show some fool was trying to sell another bunch for $3.00, so he sold it for $2.50 too. Probably 15 boxes total. Still down in the dungeon. I shoot reloads. Preferring 300 grain over 405s. I'm pretty certain I'll die before I get around to them.

But I'll sell them for way under $60 a box!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be misinformed, but I thought you had to have a FFL to sell ammo. Am I wrong?

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 645 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An FFL is only needed to manufacture ammo for commercial sale. (With the caveat there may be come commie states that require one for commercial retail sales). In the free world, not required.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Local garage/moving sale a couple of months back had some ammunition for sale. He was at sixty dollars a box for some brown boxed .45ACP which he “assured” me “was a good price.”

Question, did he mean a good price for him or me?

I usually won’t make an offer on something that is overpriced, it’s just not worth it to have to listen to the various reasons or excuses that it’s priced as it is.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want to get insulted , go to an Estate Sale . The whole idea is to make as much money as possible . Full blown retail and above for everything . If it's a multi day sale they usually mark prices down towards the end but all of the good stuff is gone anyway .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand outrage over a high price. I just walk on and forget it. Life is too short.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post