SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People asking me for a "deal" on ammo
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People asking me for a "deal" on ammo Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^last time I did training I had to bring 1200 rounds with me. Can't believe your getting turned down at 250 rounds.

Posts: 3696 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 250 rounds is just basic marksmanship and to make sure they wont hurt themselves or me. If it advances any further than that, then bring a case.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15996 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The 250 rounds is just basic marksmanship and to make sure they wont hurt themselves or me. If it advances any further than that, then bring a case.

Slight thread drift, but hey, it's my thread...

For very basic training it's really hard to beat dry fire practice. Grip, stance, sight alignment, loading, reloading, trigger press, muzzle awareness, drawing, reholstering--pretty important stuff, none of which requires live ammo.

I think we all know this, but dry fire is definitely not utilized enough.

Posts: 3420 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apology for the drift! And I agree that dry fire is great tool. But for newbies, at some point, live fire has to happen.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15996 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Grasshopper: When you can take the CCI MiniMag from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Apology for the drift! And I agree that dry fire is great tool. But for newbies, at some point, live fire has to happen.

No apologies necessary. I was actually referring to me, because I was drifting toward dry fire talk-I didn't mean you! That's why I said "slight drift, but hey it's my thread.." I didn't mean you!

Absolutely live fire is necessary at some point, but I'd rather get all the basics down in the comfort of indoors away from the noise of the range. And I prefer to have good gun handling habits ingrained prior to bringing out the ammo. I guess I'm a little like Mr. Miyagi with "wax on, wax off"--only when you're ready do I bring out a bullet!

Certainly not picking on you-just wanted to post that reminder, as I think a lot of people don't utilize it enough. Frankly I know I don't do enough dry fire.

Posts: 3420 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
My response is:

Now when was the last time you saw me with a 9mm or a 45?

Posts: 9109 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Give or sell cheap? Smile Back in the middle of the last century, I was kind of young. I didn't have ammo, or much. But I went to the shooting spot and kept my eyes to the ground. Yep, sure enough, there was live ammo there. I always thought I was poor, but my mother just said "your dad was cheap". Yep, that too.

I kind of think much of the "training" ammo that is fired off is just wasted for the fun of it. Worse, I think I might benefit from shooting more live ammo. But I don't even want to approach the waste point. I have a bunch of friends who I think waste ammo. No way I'd give or sell them ammo to waste. We had ammo or money shortages back in the 1960s. Anyone with a brain would learn from it. Its also why we reload. I personally hate casting bullets. My wife kind of enjoys it. The problem being she won't cast without me helping. Anyone got any experience with that?

Ever go shooting with anyone and watched them do a mag dump? Not with my ammo they're not. If we learn from the past, every shortage has been followed by a period of "plenty" but with higher prices. Learn from the past. Then ask Para how to buy ammo. Buy cheap, stack deep.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just happened to me last week.
I've got a very good stash of 30-30 and 45/70 and had a some people e-mail and text me to see if I'd sell any at a "good" deal.
I shot them a price and it has been crickets.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I recently gave my stepson a P238 and all the .380 ammo I had because I don't expect to ever need it in the future. It was only 150 rds but is no where to be found now. I feel sorry for him because he is a new shooter and wants to practice.

I also have a good friend that wanted a gun for home defense and is also a new shooter. I sold him a P245 that I haven't shot in years and threw in 2 boxes of range ammo. He wants to take a class and I told him he needed at least 100-150 more rds to do that. He hasn't asked to sell him more ammo because he knows me well enough to know I won't sell any at this time. I feel sorry for new shooters but they'll just have wait for things to settle down. We've all been there ourselves at one time or another.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
We've all been there ourselves at one time or another.
Yup. My first SIG, and first 9mm, was a P250 CPO that I bought during the early Obama years.

Retired Old Farts (I'm an Old Fart, but not retired) were lined up at the ammunition counter at Walmart every morning, waiting for official hours to begin; they would buy all that they could get, and resell it at hefty markups.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30537 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I'm sitting here laughing in 2007 prices.

When I bought a 9mm in 2005, it was $10.39 for 100 ROUNDS of 9mm WWB and $19.98 for 100 ROUNDS of .45....... F me. I have somewhat of a stash, but now I don't want to go to the range and use it because I can't even find any to replace it with, even at todays ridiculous prices.....$80 for 100 rounds of 9mm??? UGGGGHHHH. I'm wondering if it will ever come back in supply or down in price.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If you have a reloading setup people think you can just crank them out by the hundreds for next to nothing.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
F me. I'm wondering if it will ever come back in supply or down in price.[/QUOTE]

Always has. No reason to think it won't in the future. But then it'll go back up again, too. Every time the stupid among us elects a demo-rat to the presidency, it happens. Not coincidence, and its beyond a trend. So here's a hot tip. Buy it cheap and stack it deep. Whoops, its been said before. Y'All just don't listen and then act shocked when it hits you right in the forehead. Y'all should listen to smarter folks than you. Then become a believer.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
When people complain about your prices , remind them what it would cost YOU to replace it. I didn't stock up on ammo just to turn around and sell it for what I paid . What's the logic in that ? A box or two for special folks but other than that , you're on your own .

If you're sitting on a few thousand rounds, people will accuse you of being greedy & hoarding. Those who bought cheap & stacked deep did so so they could continue to practice w/o paying through the nose to replenish ammo.

5K rounds sounds like a wartime cache to most people until you do the math. If you shoot a modest average of 200rds per month of a given caliber, then 5K rounds will barely get you through two years.

In addition, you went and tied up your money for however long ever since you bought those rounds.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19575 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I stocked up from 2016 to the latest shortage..

Brother in law bought a new Gen 5 G17 last August.
Came by the house, complained about ammo was impossible to find, and asked if I could sell him some of mine.

I GAVE him 100 rds of WWB and 50 rds of Gold Dot 147gr HPs.
He tried to pay me $40 but I declined.

I knew if I GAVE it to him, he wouldn't come back asking for more, and he hasn't.
So I guess my plan worked..... Big Grin

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
F me. I'm wondering if it will ever come back in supply or down in price.

Always has. No reason to think it won't in the future. But then it'll go back up again, too... Not coincidence, and its beyond a trend.

I don't think it'll ever go back down to 2017-19 14 cents/round 9mm after rebate pricing, but we can hope. Frown

I think the best we can hope for is that in a couple years brass-case ammo will be commonly available for:

bulk budget 22LR at 6-7cpr
9mm at 30cpr
45ACP at 50cpr
223/5.56 at 50cpr

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I had a friend not ask me to sell him some but ask where he could find some on line to buy.
He knew I used to work in the firearms industry and shoot a lot of competitions.

While we were on the phone I gave him a web sight that had 9mm in stock for I think $40 dollars a box. He bought a case and was very great full I was able to help him out.
I gave him the names of several other websites that I have seen ammo from time to time for him to check out.

Years ago when I worked in my friends gun shop/range I used to tell new gun owners to, "buy one box to shoot and one to store every time you buy ammo" that way during the next shortage you will have ammo on the shelf.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
^^^last time I did training I had to bring 1200 rounds with me. Can't believe your getting turned down at 250 rounds.

I go shooting at least twice a week, last week 3 times and I'm meeting a lot of people who are down to one or two boxes of ammo, so I can believe it.

The ranges are getting pretty empty where I go.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

Before anybody totally thinks I'm an ass, I have told everyone I know that I will be happy to sell them a box of ammo at a 'good price' if they have none and need it for self defense. If it's family or a close friend, I will give them ammo. But I am not going to personally subsidize someone who is waiting until now to buy quantity.

Don't feel any guilt. Might be easier if you said you previously sold all the ammo you thought you could spare.

Oh, perhaps one of these people have stock or other investments they purchased a year or two ago that have gone up in value. Will they consider selling you those shares at what they paid for them?

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4886 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post