SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People asking me for a "deal" on ammo
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People asking me for a "deal" on ammo Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I am not in the ammo business. I own a lot of ammo because it lasts a long time and generally goes up in price, even in normal times. So I stock up when I see deals.

Enter current environment as we are all aware, and out come friends and family asking if I will sell them ammo at "normal" or "good" prices. I don't care how you feel on the argument of "free market" versus "gouging". But clearly the market determines the current price of things.

So one of my brothers asks me if I'll sell his friend ammo at a good price because he knows that I paid normal prices. I tell my brother "why don't you buy it from me at the going price, and then you can sell it to your friend at a cheaper price?" He replies "are you serious?" "Yes, I'm serious. If I want to sell some of my ammo I can sell it at the going rate. Why should I sell it to your friend (not my friend) for what it cost last year?"

Before anybody totally thinks I'm an ass, I have told everyone I know that I will be happy to sell them a box of ammo at a 'good price' if they have none and need it for self defense. If it's family or a close friend, I will give them ammo. But I am not going to personally subsidize someone who is waiting until now to buy quantity.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Me too. Same issue. A particular friend crying and whining that he can't get ammo at last years prices.

I told him I'd sell him some at today's prices. After all, for me to go out today and replace it it will cost me todays prices. Assuming I'd even find any for sale. He got pissed. Too bad.

My friend is cheap and just doesn't prepare for anything. Guy is making plenty of money.

The 6 P's. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. Or: Piss Poor Planning Produces Poor Results (yeah I know, that's only 5 P's. Whatever.)

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just tell them they missed the Blue Light Special held on alternate Thursdays.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Ha, my adult son wanted to know when we could go to the range. When ever you want, as long as you bring your own ammo. He hasn't responded

My version of the six P's. Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Quoted often to my youngins

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how few requests to go shooting I get from my adult children once I informed them they had to bring their own ammo Big Grin

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1122 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. I currently make a point to not talk about the ammo I've stocked up on.

I've put in the leg work since about 2005 trying to build up a little extra. Buy 3 or 4 boxes, shoot 2 and store the rest kind of deal.

As the OP said, I'm not against helping out someone in need, but this shit cost me time and money over the years.

I gave my dad a couple boxes of .45 target and hollow point ammo last week. I didn't need it as I currently don't have a .45 and he had just bought a new G-21. Plus it didn't cost me anything as I got it free from a guy who died years ago. But I'm not going to subsidize all the new shooters out there.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Yeah same here, for a few non-gun owning folks have also had offers to purchase a firearm. The latter bothers me because I don’t talk about what I own or show it, means someone from a small group told them to check with me.

I have given away some small number of .380 and 9mm so my friend since 11 yrs old and his wife could practice and would have a box of self-defense ammo.

At this point, I’m willing to share and help a very few with .22lr as have a lifetime plus...but honestly I’m only shooting .22 these days and waiting to see how this works for other calibers. For example I have thousands of 5.7x28 bought “cheap” - but now is going for over $2 a round...I’m going to sit on that and other calibers and see if we don’t come down in the next year to more reasonable price levels.

You were more than fair in your offer.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I catch the same shit. I did give my neighbor a box of Gold Dot 9mm and 25 rounds of 12ga buck for her new 938 and shotgun, but she's hot. All others can pay retail-but not from me. I listened to Para (thanks, boss) and bought cheap.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On this same note, it seems friends who know I reload think reloading yields free ammo.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I know.
Same thing happened to me.
A friend called crying "no ammo".
He knew I had some and wanted me to sell.
I said "no".
He then knew I also reloaded and wanted me to load him a bunch.
Not even discussing the bad idea to reload and be responsible for someone else I again said "no".
HIM: Not knowing ANYTHING on what goes into reloading including the time process etc I just laughed.
Still friends and sorry he paid 77 cents a round for some no name 556.
BUT that is the way it goes. {sigh}

On the other hand, while I had/have a fair amount of parts to build up some rifles > finding the simplest parts are a chore!
Lucky to have some lowers, bolts, LPK's, a barrel, and some other stuff.
EVERYTHING is out of stock or PRICED THROUGH THE ROOF.
I only build high quality precision rifles and buy the best parts.
BUT now the cheapest crap is higher that what I paid for the best stuff going.
Going to have to be patient look hard and not get desperate. Mad

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When people complain about your prices , remind them what it would cost YOU to replace it . I didn't stock up on ammo just to turn around and sell it for what I paid . What's the logic in that ? A box or two for special folks but other than that , you're on your own .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
When people complain about your prices , remind them what it would cost YOU to replace it. I didn't stock up on ammo just to turn around and sell it for what I paid . What's the logic in that ? A box or two for special folks but other than that , you're on your own .

If you're sitting on a few thousand rounds, people will accuse you of being greedy & hoarding. Those who bought cheap & stacked deep did so so they could continue to practice w/o paying through the nose to replenish ammo.

5K rounds sounds like a wartime cache to most people until you do the math. If you shoot a modest average of 200rds per month of a given caliber, then 5K rounds will barely get you through two years.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
In most cases, you'd need to raise the price above current prices just to make it worth your time to replace said ammo...you may be in an area that is in negative inventory.

The only people that I would give/sell ammo to is my family and I know that if they at the point of asking, it would be because of a pretty bad situation they were in.

quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
When people complain about your prices , remind them what it would cost YOU to replace it . I didn't stock up on ammo just to turn around and sell it for what I paid . What's the logic in that ? A box or two for special folks but other than that , you're on your own .

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I'm sitting here laughing in 2007 prices.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Some people have no shame.

It's like the old grasshopper and ant parable.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my son comes over and asks for ammo, I say, "Take all you want!"

He is more important than a bunch of brass and lead.

But, that's me...

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
A lot of people are running out of ammo at this time.

I go to an indoor range at least once a week and it has a 13 lane 25 yard rifle/handgun range and a 10 lane 17 yard handgun range.

They have closed the handgun range for the last 4 weeks and just run everyone through the rifle/handgun range as business is way down.

People have run out of ammo or are about to. Only those who prepared and bought it cheap and stacked it deep are still shooting.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A year ago I was GT Dist and the 5.56 was $300/1,000. I thought if I waited a couple of weeks the price would decrease to $275. FML.

No need to sell to those the grasshoppers. Proverbs... 6.6??

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The current price is the price. Your cost doesn't have anything to do with that.

Also, I view such requests as a request to subsidize their lack of ammo at my expense, which I wouldn't do, either.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a former LE Firearms Instructor, people from time to time ask me to give them some training. I tell them to bring at least 250 rounds for whatever gun they have chosen.
That ends the training request.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post