SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    First motorcycle day.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First motorcycle day. Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I always find it irritating. I ride and I always eagerly look forward to the riding season, I understand that my skills are rusty, that people haven’t seen MC’s on the road since November. So watching half the riders act like jack asses is annoying. There will be a shitload of accidents and probably a couple of fatalities this weekend, there usually are.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
We will typically get at least two patients on the first good day in the spring from motorcycle collisions. Half the time or more they’re hit by someone else. For all the riders out there, be safe! For the rest of us out there, pay attention!

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Same at the first track day of the season. Far too many hero riding. If I do the first day of the season I skip the first and last sessions of the day on purpose. Then watch the carnage.

My first twisty ride, I'm purposely riding much slower than normal, taking it easy, scoping roads for new irregularities, etc.

You can bank on one thing in life. People are stupid and lack the ability to think.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Easily dealt with, just go out a day early or day after the first day, problem solved Razz

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Part of the reason I sold the Harley last year but it's idiots all Summer long and not just the riders.
A few fatalities last Summer from people backing their cars or trucks out of driveways and not being aware. IIRC, like 3 of them.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was out riding on Sunday and what a tiring day.

Motorists, SUV, RV all driving well below the posted speed limit, hoping to increase fuel mileage, I guess.

By the way, RUG was $4.50 a gallon.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Yoop, I generally wait to ride until after a couple of hard rains. They spread a shit ton of sand on the roads for winter traction and sand on bare pavement is like riding on grease. So... Praying for rain!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It wasn't the first ride of the season but I was out on the Moto Guzzi this afternoon. There wasn't much in the way of other cars where I rode but there were a lot of potholes and grit on the roads which were also wet so I just took it easy. The black engine and drivetrain was covered with mud, pea gravel fines, and brine so I gave it a good wash after when I got back. The worst thing about riding this time of the year is the dirt and poor condition of the roads.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7085 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I got the CB-1100 out yesterday. I thought I had the battery charged, had to put the charger on. After my wash & lube, same today. I just ordered a new battery, old one likely original.

I just stay super defensive, prefer no one near me while riding.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I want to get my CB1100 out too because I only rode it once. But I'm trying to get 1,000 miles on the Guzzi so I can take it back for its first service. The battery in my 2014 CB1100 isn't original but I don't know how old it is. When I connect the tender it lights up fully charged within a minute so I think it's probably still fine.
Do you have a windshield on your CB1100?

Posts: 7085 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I rode Mon Wed and today to work. Mon and Teu were in the mid 30’s when I left in the morning and really windy so it kept most of the knuckleheads in. I always take it really easy the first several rides and try to hit an empty park lot to practice some emergency stops and turns.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I want to get my CB1100 out too because I only rode it once.
Do you have a windshield on your CB1100?

Yes I have a mid-sized windshield on my CB, I think it was a ‘National Cycle’ ‘Street-Shield’ model. I also put a set of crash bars on, SW Mo-tech.

The last thing was a rear rack with an ‘Iron-Rider bag for carrying stuff.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
...Do you have a windshield on your CB1100?

Yes I have a mid-sized windshield on my CB, I think it was a ‘National Cycle’ ‘Street-Shield’ model. I also put a set of crash bars on, SW Mo-tech.

The last thing was a rear rack with an ‘Iron-Rider bag for carrying stuff.

Thanks, interestingly I have a NC Street shield that came in a couple weeks ago which I haven't put on yet.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I just stay super defensive, prefer no one near me while riding.

+1000.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I guess I’m lucky we had our official “first motorcycle day” here in NC last month. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Buddy just bought a Heritage Softtail, hoping to get out with him once the weather clears up & we get a break in the house hunt.

Haven't seen many bikes out around here, yet.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
The weather around here has been awful, save for the sporadic day here and there, but it does look like a few decent days are coming up within the week, so looking forward to finally getting my bike out very soon for the first time in probably half a year.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post