SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dispatched a porcupine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dispatched a porcupine Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Visiting my invalid friends. Happened to glance out the window at just the right time and saw Mr. Porky ambling through the flower garden. Mentioned it to The Lady of the House.

"Do you have your gun with you?" (Silly question...) "That SOB is living under the house and driving us crazy, can you get rid of it?"

Mr. Porky was trucking right along headed for his apartment so I didn't take time to remove my hearing aids.

The weapon du jour was my J-frame S&W snubbie stoked with .38 +P JHP.

DAMN that was loud! Effective tho.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15174 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Good.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9356 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

How far away? That’s a pretty good shot with a snubbie .38!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12298 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

How far away? That’s a pretty good shot with a snubbie .38!

About 10 feet. I leaned around the corner of the house and nailed him from astern. Don't think he noticed me until it was too late.

Posts: 15174 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
One of the few pests we don't see here in the south.

I did dispatch a groundhog that took up residence in the front of my boat. It just came down the gangway and climbed into a little cubby in the bow. Used a .410 when I finally got him out and on the run. I'll admit I missed the first shot.

I'd called the DNR and asked first. the agent turned out to be an acquaintance . He said it would eat everything in my meager garden if it stayed.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen one of them in years. Good eatin' as I recall...if you're so inclined.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a woodchuck under my house that I need to shoot.

Sonofabitch is eating my flowers and has made a mess with digging under there.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34068 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^ I caught a huge rockchuck (our version of a woodchuck) last year that was living under my shed and causing problems.

Large Havahart trap baited with a piece of cantaloupe. Worked great.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Had an armadillo running through the yard at two in the afternoon one day.

Acted like it had rabies. The first pistol I could get to was a Desert Eagle.

I only had to shoot once.

Posts: 9103 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen several porcupines in Central and South Texas. Saw one in Alpharetta Georgia a few years ago while living there.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
For those not familiar with porcupines, they are EVERYWHERE up here in the Northeast.

I have several issues with them:

1. They kill trees by eating the bark.

2. They'll chew holes in wooden buildings to get inside. If they take up residence, the interior of the building will shortly be ankle deep in porcupine scat.

3. Not too common, but they have been known to carry rabies.

4. Not their fault, but dogs simply cannot resist them. Getting a mouthful of quills removed from a dog incurs a non-trivial expense at the vet's office. Been there, done that multiple times.

Therefore, I have adopted a Zero Tolerance Policy concerning them. If they get seen, they get dead.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
[ Wink ]
You guys offed these sweet little creatures?

YOU MONSTERS!

[/ Wink ]

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
^^^Repeatedly, and with extreme prejudice! Big Grin

But then, I'd kill and eat Bambi's Dad if I got a chance too...

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I didn't really know we had porcupines in Texas, but we saw one at my mom's house near San Antonio last year. No one wanted it shot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Haven't seen one of them in years. Good eatin' as I recall...if you're so inclined.

My son lives in the Adirondacks and has eaten them. He told me it's too much work!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago the PA GC deemed the porcupine population in PA to be high enough that they now have a season for them.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've eaten one, I wouldn't say it's too much work, just a bit slower and more painful than skinning other animals. lol

My neighbor up north asked me if I would, to shoot any I see on sight, as his dogs keep getting into it with him. After that I noticed they'd been chewing up the cabin, the shed and everything else, so I've been happy to oblige him whenever possible. So far I've used three different 45's on them.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Dispatched porcupine=Good porcupine.

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1670 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I like quill pigs. They're abundant here in the frozen north. Usually let 'em be unless they're rooting through the garden, but they tend to stay away from people in my experience.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
For those not familiar with porcupines, they are EVERYWHERE up here in the Northeast.

Funny enough I've never seen one.

Posts: 6336 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post