SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    3 random gripes….
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 random gripes…. Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
1: I have pretty damn good credit, today I got a note from American Express saying I had forgotten to pay my bill. My mistake, but $40 charge for missing my payment date? Fuck you.

2: Today I bought a number of things from Menards that I want to have delivered. I need to call the store to set up delivery, and don’t you know they will not put the store phone number on the receipt. Lots of websites and barcode, but God forbid you actually need to talk to someone.

3: Yesterday I tried to order delivery from chipotle. The website and app are not working so I called the store. A computer answers and tries to persuade you not to want to talk to a store person, finally I got connected to the actual store.

The person told me I could only order delivery from the app because it is delivery services who answer it, chipotle does not actually facilitate the delivery.

I’ll give them that one, but then I tried to give her my carry out order and she refused to take it over the phone saying that I had to use the computer interaction and recall the store. I tried doing that three times and finally hung up in frustration.

Apparently business is so good for companies that they can make it as inconvenient as possible to reach an actual representative, or provide decent service, or not fuck over a long-term customer with a $40 fine for something that has never happened before.

End of rant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
1: I have pretty damn good credit, today I got a note from American Express saying I had forgotten to pay my bill. My mistake, but $40 charge for missing my payment date? Fuck you.

Rant all you want, but this one's on you. Just as would be getting nailed for speeding or running a traffic signal, being assessed interest and a penalty for late payment of taxes, or the result of a failure on your part to meet any other obligation.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have pretty damn good credit, today I got a note from American Express saying I had forgotten to pay my bill. My mistake, but $40 charge for missing my payment date? Fuck you.
First offense? Check with customer service. They will probably waive the charge as a "one time courtesy."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have a Home Depot credit card and a Best Buy credit card. Both are through Citi.

I recently received a letter from them that the new late charge "may be" up to $40.00

Yeah, right, "may be".

I, like the OP, am not in the habit of paying bills late, but this shit pisses me off. That's ridiculious.

As Mr Pickle Guy just posted above, call them and ask them to waive it. I'm sure they will.

I think all these big fancy CEO's are now demanding Global Jets, the old fashioned ordinary private jets just aren't enough now. Today they Global Jets are selling well, and for 50-65ish Million Dollars.

Gotta pay for all that salary, bonus, perks, and big jets too, takes a lot of money.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The pizza chain on the way home charges more if I call and pick the pies up instead of using their app.

I want pizza. I don't want an app.

After the second time they told me to order using the app. I told them I can call other places of business to order food just fine.

Haven't been back since.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yep check with the bank/credit card company.

Last time I was dinged, it was $40 for paying too early. (so I had two payments one month and none the next) New billing cycle started on the 4th, I set up the payment late at night on the 3rd. (You'll notice how "business hours" only apply and payments only count within them when it's in their favor)

The thing that extra pissed me off was they said I paid on the third, but the money didn't come out of my account until the fourth. I blind sided the guy on the phone with that one. "How is it possible for me to have paid you on the 3rd, if the money didn't leave my account till the 4th, I have my banking statements to show it? He didn't have an answer.

They gave me a "one time" refund on the early payment fee lol
Yup, fuck you, I will never pay you early again, last minute every time now.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
First world problems. Cool

Doesn’t sound like you are doing too badly.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that I carry a balance but my cc is setup to make an automated minimum payment if for some reason I forget. I suspect AE has the same option.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yeah for sure call AMEX about that fee.

I have never overdrafted my bank account until last month when my apartment complex decided to double bill me for my rent. I got paid the day before and always move the majority of my money to savings and so I went negative and the bank billed me $36, but that was immediately waived when I called and explained the situation.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I used to really like AmEx because of their great customer service. Then a couple of years ago (even pre-Covid), service quality went in the ditch. After one very frustrating call, I hung up with them and closed my account.

That being said, definitely call and ask them to waive the late fee.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I have pretty damn good credit, today I got a note from American Express saying I had forgotten to pay my bill. My mistake, but $40 charge for missing my payment date? Fuck you.
First offense? Check with customer service. They will probably waive the charge as a "one time courtesy."

Doesn't need to be the first offense. Just call them up and ask them to cancel the penalty. WHen I was still doing paper bills, I would get behind regularly. Now, I've switched everything to electronic and also activated autopay.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Call the number on the back of the Amex plead for leniency, they are pretty good about this stuff for long term customers with good payment history.

Concur on the phone number missing from receipts Its a PIA.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I used to really like AmEx because of their great customer service. Then a couple of years ago (even pre-Covid), service quality went in the ditch. After one very frustrating call, I hung up with them and closed my account.

That being said, definitely call and ask them to waive the late fee.

I dumped AmEx about fifteen years ago for their monumental screw ups. It was a Costco branded card, they were no help getting it straightened out either. Two months after they admitted to and allegedly “fixed” their screw up my new bill arrived, my interest rate was at the maximum default level, when I called the answer given was that I was in default, that is the new interest rate.

I kept all my “Cliff’s Notes” from the first go around and went up the supervisors chain at AmEx.

I closed the card out at that time and refuse to anything to do with them anymore.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They will waive it. A few years ago I lost track of the days and forgot to pay them (realized it about 3 hours after it was due and was on a night shift). Called them and I didn't care about the fee was just worried about it effecting my credit. They waived the fee and said it takes two missed payments in a row to get reported. I was beyond apologetic for my own stupidity to them.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

This. I've thrown myself on my sword a couple of times (memory isn't that good on some of this stuff). My line is something to the effect of "I apologize for the inconvenience, totally my fault. It got away from me. I just want to make sure it's not going to affect my credit." They have all but once come back saying that based on how long you've been a holder and your payment history and the fact that there's a pending payment we're going to credit you back the late fee.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Call them up. I agree with the others that will probably waive one late fee.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post