SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I blame PHPaul & the other Kubota owners!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I blame PHPaul & the other Kubota owners! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
That container is going to look great!
After sand blasting and painting it Toyota olive drab

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
That container is made from CORTEN steel.
The rust that forms on the bare metal becomes the protective coating.
ie: Salt water exposure on the container ships.
Sandblasting/painting is near the bottom of the list of tasks that need to be done.
The container is old enough it's German manufactured, not from China.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
We try and complete at least one "major" project at the cabin every year. This spring it's been several.

I think you have another, scrape, prime, and paint your container. Smile

IMG_20230518_170928108_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

quote:
Now that most of the hard work is completed for the warm weather season, and I have completed most of the modifications that I wanted on the new Yamaha R3, I can spend the nice warm weather riding
motorcycles instead of tractors!

Glad you have your priorities in order!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have a 40 ft shipping container as well, and a word of caution, you'll want to add some ventilation to it.

They make solar powered fan systems, and they are highly recommended to help prevent interior condensation (aka container rain).

We tired using damp-rid and other moisture absorbing packs without success. Air flow and temp stabilization with the outside conditions is really what you need.

Nice touch on the base material though, looks quite stable and will help prevent the ground contact rust!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I've had a brand new bush hog (Mahindra rebranded Kodiak unit) for four years and never used it or even had it attached to the little Kubota.
There's no need for a bush hog at the house, and until now there hasn't been any reasonably secure storage available for implements at the recreational property.
With the enhanced security modifications now finished on the shipping container, I can now store the bush hog in the container. It is parked there now.

That means several grown up pieces of the rural recreational property can be bush hogged and turned into food plots.

We have finished all the known backhoe projects, and we have purchased a wheeled steel backhoe storage cart. https://www.bxpanded.com/BX-bh-dolly
This allows moving the 600+ pounds of backhoe by hand after it has been removed from the tractor.
Convenience matters!

With the backhoe now removed, the Kubota will need some rear ballast for effective snow removal this winter.
I looked at three point hitch ballast boxes and didn't like what I found available.
The relatively inexpensive Chinese units ($250) were just plainly cheap poorly constructed junk.
The expensive USA made units were plainly expensive.

So I decided to fabricate one myself. I started with a 20 gallon steel barrel, and a bunch of steel in my scrap steel pile.
Two afternoons of labor out in the shop and it's about finished.
My Girlfriend works in the Department of Transportation field and has access for a barrel of free concrete.
My rear ballast drum will weigh about 100 pounds less than the backhoe, close enough for moving snow.
The ballast barrel is tack welded together just enough so it won't shift positionally when being filled with concrete.
After being filled and the concrete cures, the concrete will hold all the internal components in position.

We did get the Kubota and the bush hog up to the property last weekend, it worked as expected.
There is a lot more bush hog work that needs to be completed in the next couple of weeks.

IMG_20230820_163043956_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20230820_162938124_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20230829_161210416_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20230829_161059710_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20230829_161118729_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Instructor

posted Hide Post
quote:
That container is made from CORTEN steel.
The rust that forms on the bare metal becomes the protective coating.
ie: Salt water exposure on the container ships.
Sandblasting/painting is near the bottom of the list of tasks that need to be done.
The container is old enough it's German manufactured, not from China.

And that's why we come here ,
To learn cool junk.

Knock me over with an onion ring

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Over the long holiday weekend we used the Kubota with the bush hog attachment for cleaning out a multi acre field down near the center of the property.
It's quite a distance from the road frontage field and the cabin.

I spent a day and a half bush hogging and have that interior field all neat and tidy now.
The deer will not be sneaking through the goldenrod unseen now.

I was cleaning up some pathways into the field and decided just one more pass for width and I will be totally finished with the job.
I backed down the pathway and when I reached the end, I felt the tractor settle in the mud & clay.
The rear differential lock did nothing and I was seriously stuck.

i won't bore the membership with the details for getting the Kubota unstuck, but it took a neighbors large farm tractor to get the Kubota pulled out of the mud hole.

NRA Instructor

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
i won't bore the membership with the details for getting the Kubota unstuck, but it took a neighbors large farm tractor to get the Kubota pulled out of the mud hole.

Been there done that, got a large JD with a bushhog when I went over the edge with a drop off that it had cleared, the bush hog dug in and the hitch was at an angle I couldn't disconnect it and then lift the bushhog with the JD bucket.

We brought the small Ford tractor over and it was enough to pull out the bigger JD. That stuff just happens if you mow enough, we had 220 acres on the farm when I was a teen...

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
This is the interior field. It is entirely surrounded by forest. The forest is constantly trying to reclaim the field.
I'm going to attempt to get a modest sized bulldozer down to the interior field and smooth it out some.
While the dozer is there, all those thorn apple trees will get shoved out of the ground and pushed into a big pile.
Then in the winter, when everything is covered in 18" or more of snow, we will have a bonfire and cook some hotdogs.

Next year we will have multiple food plots in this field.
We have a 20 foot steel ladder stand and a 10 foot steel tripod stand close to the edges of this field. The two stands are separated by about 150 yards.
These three photos are from the seat of the 20 foot ladder stand.

The pathway where I buried the Kubota in the mudhole is about 75 yards down the path directly behind the side by side. (first of these three photos)

I have no prior farming experience. The ~ 70 acre recreational property is part of my retirement portfolio (the standing timber) and a place to play.
However, this summer it's been a bit more focused on work when we are there.

IMG_20230904_143835886_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20230904_143839579_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20230904_143848284 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Instructor

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
After using the Kubota for many years we finally have finished all of the known backhoe jobs.
The backhoe is easily removed from the tractor and we planted it on a large wooden block in one of the bays in the barn.
That was a mistake, as it takes up valuable bay real estate. Once removed from the tractor, it's not very mobile.
We ordered a wheeled cart for the backhoe. Now the backhoe can be moved by hand by one person.

IMG_20230908_155019002_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

We will be using the Kubota for the upcoming winter snow removal tasks. Without the backhoe on the rear of the Kubota, traction and loader lift capacity are compromised.
The concrete for the ballast barrel arrived, and after several days of curing, I painted the homemade ballast barrel with Kubota orange.
The backhoe spec's say it weighs 617 pounds, my ballast barrel after filling with concrete weighs about 450 pounds.

I lost about a quart of concrete on the way home from the concrete pour location.

IMG_20230906_093225467_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Fresh wet Kubota orange paint.

IMG_20230908_144139291 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Ballast barrel is all completed and ready for front end loader work!

IMG_20230908_163848675_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20230908_163818955_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20230908_164001951_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Instructor

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Owning a piece of rural property can be challenging at times. There is always something going on that shouldn't be going on.
When we went to the recreational property for the long Labor Day weekend, we noticed some unwelcomed & unauthorized activity had taken place on the property in our absence.

There is a powerline right-of-way corridor (easement) on the property. It is parallel to the town road at the northern end of the field & woods where the cabin is located.
A powerline right-of-way tree service company cut two new unauthorized vehicular access roads from the town road in to the right-of-way easement without permission or providing notice.
The right-of-way tree service company is a subcontractor for the local electric power company.
The actual easement was also cut at least twice as wide as the easement legal document specifies. In some places it measures triple the specified width.
Due to the ongoing criminal investigation and any potential legal actions I will not identify any of those involved by name in this post.

The recreational property is enrolled in the DEC 480a program. DEC is the State Department of Environmental Conservation.
This 480a program provides for a very significant reduction in property taxes. (about a 95% reduction)
When I schedule a timber harvest and receive monetary compensation for a timber sale by bid, I then pay the local municipality a small percentage (about 6%) of my timber sale monies.

Property enrolled in the 480a program has highly restrictive rules for cutting new roads in the woods, or cutting trees without prior authorization & scheduling.
There are exceptions for cutting up to eight full cords of firewood for your own personal use, and clearing/maintaining existing roads and trails in the woods is also allowed.

But generally speaking, cutting new roads in the woods, and knocking down trees is HIGHLY discouraged.
The 480a program is a financial incentive for landowners to grow marketable hardwood and softwood timber.
If a landowner was to cut new roads in the woods, or knock down a significant quantity of trees, you could be fined or even kicked out of the 480a program.
If you get kicked out of the 480a program, you are then responsible for paying back all the reduction in property taxes you received over the years, with penalties and interest.

So in this case, I didn't do the deed, and won't be penalized or fined or kicked out of the 480a program.
But the state foresters are HIGHLY pissed at the right-of-way tree service company.
The enforcement action/investigation is presently being conducted by the DEC Environmental Police, and will likely be referred to the County District Attorney.

The charges at present look like: Criminal trespass, timber theft/timber destruction, vandalism, and destruction of property.

When the new unauthorized roads were cut into the woods, they also destroyed a 19th century historical stone wall.
There is a Department of State historical sign at the property boundary. (big cast iron sign, painted in the state colors)
The property was originally a homestead for people that moved from New England and came to the property location and set up a large farm in the 1800's.

Soon after I installed my large double entrance gate at the road frontage, the power company cut my chain on the gates and installed their large brass padlock onto the chain.
The electric power company padlock is stamped into the body of the padlock with the electric power company initials. It's plain as day.
They left a note and told me to lock my padlock on the gate chain to their lock.
With my gate locked in this manner, the electric power company, or I can open my locked access gate.
I do completely understand the power company may from time to time access their right-of-way easement for the purposes of power line repairs or maintenance.
Or their subcontractor can access the easement for the purpose of tree/brush trimming in the easement.

Here in my state, the Public Service Commission (regulates utilities) regulations requires that the electric power company and/or subcontractors must provide notice to customers, landowners, and neighbors when right-of-way easement tree trimming is to take place.
By mail, telephone, or in person.
In late July, I went to the property for mowing the 1.5 acres of lawn around the cabin. When I arrived, the driveway/and my gate were blocked by a truck from the right-of-way easement tree service company.
The crew was sitting eating their lunch, playing on their phones. (using my cell signal that I transmit from the cabin)
The general area is a cell signal black hole, which is why they park in the shade and eat lunches there.
Right then & there was a perfect time for them to notify me in person that they would be trimming the right-of-way easement on my property.
No notification at that time was provided.
I received no notification of any type.

If the tree service company had called the electric power company, the closest electric power company field crew would have opened the gate for them.
Certainly, they would have waited less time than it took them to cut two new unauthorized access roads.
(it's a standard key, it fits all the electric power company easement locks and ALL power company field crews have them)
But no, the tree service company crew decided they would use the "Get er Done" method and butcher my trees.

Did I mention that here in my state, damages for timber theft/destruction are awarded at TRIPLE the face value of the stolen/destroyed trees?

I don't have any problem with ATV's and side by sides. I own both. I use mine legally and responsibly.
There is a significant amount of ATV/SxS activity on the dirt roads nearby the property.
On a weekend, they whizz by on the dirt road all day. It's a ton of fun and we ride the dirt roads ourselves.
When the tree service company cut the two new unauthorized roads into my woods, it appears they used a skid steer and destroyed the 19th century stone wall in two locations.
This old stone wall provided a roadside barrier along with the trees, for keeping the ATV/SxS traffic on the public road, and unless you were an extremely talented rider, out of my property.
The two new unauthorized roads heading off into my property now look extremely inviting to teenagers and people with bad intent.
I may as well leave my locked access gate wide open and put up a "Welcome" sign.

I believe I will need to string up some barbed wire as a temporary measure.
Long term, I will be insisting for the tree trimming company or a subcontractor for them, to place some of the huge concrete blocks used for stacked retaining walls and close off the new access roads.

So we will see how this whole mess plays out.
I want heads on proverbial pikes, and balls in the jar.
Plus the triple damages for every tree.
I have a friend in the County Government (County Attorney, but not the County DA) and I can find out if the offenders get to do the perp walk.
I WILL be there to laugh it up at them.
But the real reason I am pursuing this mess is I want it to be a teaching moment for the tree trimming company.
Utilizing the "Get er Done" method for gaining access to a right-of-way for the purpose of doing your job may turn out to be extremely costly.

Power line easements also have very specific width wording written into them.
Thirty feet width on the legally binding document is NOT one hundred ten feet in the woods.
They must have been taught the "New Math" in school.

NRA Instructor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I mention that here in my state, damages for timber theft/destruction are awarded at TRIPLE the face value of the stolen/destroyed trees?

In some cases, they also are on the hook for replacing the trees removed with ones of the same size!!

One homeowner got in a lot of trouble for removing trees from a neighbor's property so that he could see NYC from his house.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Residential, that is entirely possible.
Rural timber land, doubtful.
But it certainly can be asked.
Razz

NRA Instructor

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It's just something you have to deal with when owning rural property. The 1-lane gravel road I live on washes out in heavy rain, it gets fixed eventually. Same when it snows, it'll get plowed eventually. Then there are the litterers and trespassers / hunters. Rural property has it's challenges but for me they are well worth it given the alternative.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
For anyone who might make a ballast box like that I suggest standing a couple pieces of 2 1/2" pvc pipe in it before filling with concrete. They make convenient holders for shovel, rake, etc.

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I did see several photos online when researching the ballast barrel concept where they did place one or more pvc pipes in the barrel before pouring the concrete.
Most factory built ballast boxes have steel tubing welded in place for shovel/rake handles also.
For my usage, the ballast barrel is primarily used at the house in winter moving snow. Shovels and other handle type tools are just inside the barn bay doors and nearby.
The weight was more important to me. I did consider adding pvc pipes and decided against it.

NRA Instructor

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
OK, if you don't believe you'll ever have need for having a shovel, etc along there's no need for adding a holder.

I bought my ballast box which came with 2 steel tubes as holders. The box is very heavy gauge steel with a receiver hitch and sliding panel near the bottom for emptying. I think the box was $325 complete, painted Kubota orange, delivered (thank you China) and I couldn't have made it myself for that!
Unless I need an implement on the back I always use the box since it's more compact for maneuvering and I'm often out in the woods somewhere using the bucket or tree puller as shown here on my previous Kubota. I did have to paint it green after moving to a John Deere. Smile

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
ridewv, is that a chainsaw scabbard that I see on your loader. If so, how do you like it?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23248 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It is and I liked it on that tractor. It doesn't fit well on my current tractor so I configured some blocks and mounted them on the ballast box and the saw rests on those, held by 2 bungie straps.

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
It has been about 13 days since we bush hogged that interior field. Look at the bush hogged grass color in my above post dated September 05, 2023.

This trail camera photo was taken yesterday. With the goldenrod knocked down and chopped up, the grass now gets sunlight and isn't competing with goldenrod for water any longer.
I was surprised how green the newly uncovered grass was. Apparently the herd of local residents like it.

If you look closely, to the left of the furthest away deer in the photo, is the bottom few feet of the ladder for the 20" ladder stand.

09150032 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Instructor