SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I blame PHPaul & the other Kubota owners!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I blame PHPaul & the other Kubota owners! Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The Honda Pioneer 520 side by side was scheduled for shipping on 8/6/2021 from the factory in South Carolina to the Dealer.
So a reasonable chance I will take delivery of the Pioneer 520 this week or early next week. But I won't believe it until I see it sitting in my barn.
It was ordered in late January.

Nothing new on the fiber optic internet. I'm way down on the list for the install work as it's a seasonal camp, not a full time residence.

A cell phone tower is being installed high on the ridge overlooking the valley where the cabin is located. Unknown who the carrier(s) will be.
They have the in-ground concrete pads built, and the electric and broadband internet at the tower site. They are still waiting for the tower steel. (2 or more months waiting for the steel)

We completed a major cabin project Friday last week. We now have running water at the cabin.
Several years ago we identified a spring site within about 200 feet of the cabin. It remained wet there even during the drought last summer.
Last year I built a tractor path from the field down to the spring location. I dug at the spring site with the backhoe on the little Kubota only to find a large bed of shale rock.
I excavated several cubic yards of rock and soon was stopped with the Kubota backhoe hydraulic digging power being the limiting factor.
(photos of the Kubota dug "test" hole and tractor path on page 3 in this thread)

We have a good friend and neighbor that owns a septic/water/well pump business. He generously offered to look at the cabin and spring site and see what he could do.
My neighbor is also pretty damn good at redneck engineering.
He brought his Bobcat excavator last Thursday and was successful digging in the huge shale bed at the spring site. (tore one rock point and mounting lug right off the excavator bucket)
He got a pit dug about 10 feet in diameter, and it ranged in depth from 2.5 feet to 4.5 feet deep.
All the heavy excavation in the shale bed appeared to open up the spring "seeps" between the huge slabs of rock and the cold crystal clear water now runs from at least 2 locations with strong flow.
We installed a 6 foot length of 24" diameter black corrugated HDPE culvert pipe vertically in the deepest part of the pit.
The culvert pipe has holes drilled in it so the water can get inside the pipe. The deep well pump (120 volt) is installed inside the culvert.
Since the bottom of the pump is only 4.5 feet deep, and around 20 feet rise to the cabin, a high horsepower deep well 240 volt well pump isn't needed.
We ran eight gauge wire between the pump and the pressure switch for minimal voltage drop.
The pump is fed with a new install dedicated 20 amp circuit.

I moved a ten wheeler dump truck load of #2 stone with the Kubota front bucket and dumped it in the excavated pit.

My neighbor then dug a 4' to 5' deep trench between the spring site and the cabin outside wall.
We buried the 1" diameter 200 psi rated PEX tubing and the wiring in the trench and then backfilled.

We had acquired a well pressure tank (bladder style) several years ago and installed it next to the electric stove inside the cabin.
Some PEX tubing hooked the tank up to the kitchen sink.
There is room under the kitchen sink for a modest sized electric on-demand water heater. It's a future project...

There is additional work on the water system that will need to be done before winter. I will need to get a 10 wheeler dump truck load of fill dirt and increase the cover depth at the spring site.
After filling the excavated spring pit with the #2 stone up above the maximum water depth, we covered the #2 stone with geo-textile fabric and then started covering with fill dirt.
I will need to cover it with several more feet of fill dirt to insulate the water source pit from the harsh upstate NY winters.
I put a square of plywood over the top of the culvert pipe where the pump is located for now, but for winter it will require a proper insulated sandwich cover made from plywood and foam board.

The system is designed so it should work even in the harsh winter months.
The pump has a flapper style bleed valve so the PEX line going to the cabin will fully drain back into the spring source pit when the pressure is bled off.
The pressure tank (inside the cabin) has a drain on the bottom so it can be drained (pipe thru the wall) along with the interior plumbing when the cabin is not heated when we aren't there in the winter.
There is about 20' rise between the cabin and the spring site so all the water should drain back into the pit and not freeze in the PEX tubing.
I need to construct a plywood box where the PEX comes up to surface grade and penetrates the cabin floor, insulate with foam board, and fill the interior of the insulated box with spray foam.
The drain pipe for the pressure tank and interior plumbing will also serve as an outside faucet.

The only downside to the project was the lawn between the woods and the cabin is completely destroyed. I will need topsoil and grass seed. I'm going to let the excavated/backfilled trench settle first for a while.

So not bad for a two day construction project. Dawn till dark with three people. (I cooked strip steaks on the grill for lunch)

My neighbor said he would have quoted that job between $10k and $15k depending on how far he needed to drive to get to the job site.
That would have been out of my budget range for a seasonal cabin.
We got the friends/neighbors/hunting buddy's discount.

Here is the spring pit. Water is all mucked up from digging. (about 10 feet diameter, 2.5 to 4.5 feet deep)

IMG_20210805_154343035_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

All the stone went into the shale rock excavated pit. It's tamped around the vertical culvert and locks it into place so it won't move or "float".

IMG_20210805_154213970_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Here is the culvert installed in the pit, the stone is in the pit, the geo-textile fabric is covering the stone, and some fill dirt on top of the fabric.

IMG_20210806_191214668 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Looking down into the culvert. (sky is reflected off the water surface, and I need to file a small ditch in the HDPE pipe so the wires are not pinched under the cover)

IMG_20210806_191235339 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Looking from the spring site uphill towards the cabin with the trench backfilled.

IMG_20210806_191249983 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Pressure tank inside the cabin. (pressure switch set at 40 psi on, 60 psi off)

IMG_20210806_190946519 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Next two are the trenching.

IMG_20210805_154118975 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

IMG_20210805_154056532 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

We will not drink the water before we use the system for a while and purge out sediment. We will also have the water tested in a lab before drinking.
We did drop a 1/2 cup of pelletized slow release chlorine tablets into the black culvert.
Flow is around 14 gallons per minute. We ran the system full bore for hours for particulate flushing and saw no significant water level drop in the culvert. (couple inches water level drop max in 2 hours)

Running water at the outside hose for system flushing and flow testing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slxz.../Hose_Water.mp4?dl=0

Running water at the kitchen sink faucet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ka3g...aucet_Water.mp4?dl=0

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1108 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It's coming along, nice having piped in water! Now should be a good time of the year to get grass started where possible to minimize mud next Spring.
Hopefully your SxS shows up soon.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 5636 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The 2021 Honda Pioneer showed up!
The dealer called me Thursday night.
I picked it up Friday morning.
Tested it out Friday at my sister's rural place.
Then Friday night headed to the cabin and rode around most of Saturday.
Helga the Olde English Bulldog has claimed the dump box.
We got her accustomed to riding by driving around the field slowly.
Then we headed for the trails.
I will get some pictures posted soon.
Almost 8 months from ordering until delivery.

NRA Instructor

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
IMG_20210903_160356803_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

12634 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Instructor

posted Hide Post
Helga's new ride looks great. Congrats.

Posts: 518 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looks great, you going to build a shed for it and keep it at the cabin or haul it back and forth...

Posts: 17833 | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I will be hauling it every time.
25 to 30 minutes driving time, house to cabin.
Somebody up the road from the cabin a few miles had
a UTV stolen. Thieves chainsawed the back of the building.
I *might* store it in a 40' steel shipping container, but that
won't be happening this year.

NRA Instructor