SIGforum
I blame PHPaul & the other Kubota owners!
September 23, 2026, 12:48 PM
ridewvI blame PHPaul & the other Kubota owners!
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
I am on the schedule now for the spray foam insulation job at the cabin.
The quote was less than $2k more for the spray foam compared to materials alone and a self install of mineral rock wool insulation.
10 miles of driving one way to the nearest store, a Dollar General.
Regular stores, gas/diesel/groceries/Walmart is 20+ miles one way, about a half hour each way. The same stores I presently shop at.
During winter, you'll want to plan shopping trips.
Good idea to insulate well. I foamed both the house and shop.
I'm about the same; 7 miles to a little town with a Dollar Store, gas station, and butcher shop. 23 miles to a real town with most everything.
I agree a cabbed tractor would be a PIA in the woods. I think you'll like an L2502, it has a lot more capacity and ground clearance than a BX. I had an L2501 and really liked it. I tried a B2650 (LX 2620) which I really didn't care for so much so went to the heavier L2501. The only reason I sold the L2501 is because a friend offered to sell me his like new, 2013, 149 hour, Deere 3520 (same size tractor with a bit more power) which also came with a backhoe.
The L2501 had plenty of power to run my 58" flail mower in high weeds. I'm on some hills here so I added 2" spacers to the rear of both the 2501 and 3520 which added a little stability. If you do get an L2502 consider having a 3rd function added to the front which can operate a grapple. I use the grapple all the time here for moving logs as well as piles of limbs and brush.
No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
September 23, 2026, 01:35 PM
HRKquote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
Sadly, I will never have a larger Kubota with a cab. Simply due to the large tempered glass doors on the cabs.
Glass doors is something you absolutely don't need or want on a tractor working in the woods.
I have been eying Kubota L2502 machines!
Well, I'm a FL boy now, no way I could survive on the tractor out in that much snow, it would kill my tan!
September 23, 2026, 04:46 PM
cee_KampI really don't have that much grapple usage. I do agree that the time for a 3rd function install is when it's brand new and a factory option.
So if it all comes together as planned, a shiny new L2502 HST with a SSQA (skid steer quick attach) 66" front bucket along with a backhoe and a forward third function. R-1 ag tires.
Just so the third function is there IF a grapple is needed, it will be there.
I could use it for harvesting deadfall trees and supplement my firewood supply.
Being in the NYS DEC 480a program, there are minimal things allowed in the 61 out of 68 acres. The property tax reduction (94%) greatly outweighs the hassles!
The spray foam contractor just reached out, October 7th!
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer October 04, 2026, 05:16 PM
cee_KampMy adult son and I spent the last two afternoons with several screw guns and impact drivers removing everything that was mounted on the cabin interior walls.
Cabinets, countertops, two bowl cast iron farm sink, electrical wiring and boxes/receptacles, and some plumbing. What a chore!
It pretty much looks like it did when the cabin was originally built. Bare stud walls & ceilings on both floors now.
The only real difference is the cabin was totally empty when it was built, and after yesterday and today, each floor of the cabin has a large mountain of stuff in the middle that will be covered by the spray foam contractor with tarps before they start the job. I will have to be there to let them in the gate and cabin on Wednesday.
For a bit of extra cash above & beyond the estimate, the spray foam contractor will spray a thicker layer of foam on the portions of the cabin that are built with 2" x 4" construction.
I am slowly making progress for the move.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer October 04, 2026, 07:50 PM
smlsigClosed cell or open cell?
------------------
Eddie
Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
October 05, 2026, 12:59 AM
cee_KampClosed cell spray foam.
It turns out that the spray foam contractor had actually been inside the cabin long ago.
The company that manufactured the cabins hires the spray foam contractor during the initial build.
During the build, the spray foam guy does the cabin floor before the plywood floors are installed.
They also do the second story part that overhangs the porch.
They do those two locations because once skinned in plywood, would be very difficult to insulate.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer October 08, 2026, 09:34 PM
cee_KampSo yesterday I was up at 07:00 and driving by 07:30.
I arrived at the cabin to let the spray foam crew in at 8 AM, and as I stood on the porch of the cabin much to my dismay, I did not have a key for unlocking the cabin door.
30 minutes drive back home to pick up the cabin key and another 30 minute drive back to the cabin. Honest, I never exceeded 55 MPH.
I had taken my cabin key off my Jeep key ring and gave it to my plumbing / well guy when he was working on the new water well system last month.
Today, I made a point of retrieving that cabin key and got it back on my Jeep key ring.
They did a nice job with the spray foam, about six hours for masking, covering the interior stuff with plastic sheeting, spraying, scraping studs and ceiling gambrel trusses, and general cleanup.
I also had them spray foam underneath the cabin where the dual water supply lines & wires come inside from below ground.
We did a developed spring water supply several years ago, and it really was not usable in winter.
When the new pounded water well was done this fall, I had the existing developed spring water line and pump wires, along with the water line from the new well pump and those wires,
everything penetrates the cabin floor inside a six inch diameter piece of schedule 40 white PVC pipe. Both water systems come inside the cabin in the same PVC pipe.
When the spray foam crew finished inside, I had about one foot of spray foam sprayed around the outside of that six inch PVC pipe where it is exposed to the air under the cabin.
If needed, I can shove a 36" long "Golden Rod" for a gun safe down inside the six inch PVC pipe. I despise heat tape, it has burned down many homes.
PXL_20261007_182051010 by
cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
PXL_20261007_182055925 by
cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
PXL_20261007_182059493 by
cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
You can see the six inch PVC pipe coming through the cabin floor kitchen area near the electric stove location in the below picture.
My son and I have a massive "Put The Cabin Back Together" visit planned in several weekends. We should be back to "normal" just about the time for deer hunting season.
PXL_20261007_182246353 by
cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
I also expect to be cleaning spray foam off of things inside the cabin for the remainder of my life. Wires, water drain lines, water supply lines.
The guy running the spray foam gun was pretty good at maintaining constant spray foam depth without many runs, but damn, he sprayed everything!
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer