SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Spoofers and telemarkers are ruining our telephone system
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spoofers and telemarkers are ruining our telephone system Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
Gawd I hate them. I no longer answer the phone unless I'm sitting next to it and recognize the caller. Any out of area or unknown caller is ignored. When I do answer, unless there is someone on the other end instantly, I just hang up. Not how I was trained or learned. There are no longer phone manners as I was taught. If you call me, you'd better say "hello" back.

You're calling and interrupting my day (not that I'm doing anything of value). If you don't speak English well, forget it. What makes these fools think I would buy anything from them when they lie about where they are? Starting an intended sales pitch with a lie isn't working with me. If you've got a foreign accent, why would I trust you after you've wspoofed some neighbors number?

Maybe I'm biased because I'm old. I no longer trust any sales person who pitches me. They're all just liars, and telling me that with a lie just makes me hang up. Are folks just that lonesome they'll talk to anyone?

Spoofing is a big part of it. Why we allow foreigners to spoof a domestic call is beyond me. Or maybe I know, its corrupt politicians that haven't mandated that any call originating in one place can't spoof being here. I'm undecided on my caller ID. I really like it that I know who it is before answering. Except that crooked sales people or solicitors use it to disguise who and where they are. I'm guessing they're all crooked because if they weren't, they'd be upfront from the get-go.

So why do they allow it? Is it just crooked politicians that take pay offs to keep things as they are? Is there some valid reason to allow others to spoof a number? My phone rings about a dozen times a day and maybe 1, if I'm lucky, is a good call or number. Pretty poor odds.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Stir Shaken set to start June 30.

STIR/SHAKEN digitally validates the handoff of phone calls passing through the complex web of networks, allowing the phone company of the consumer receiving the call to verify that a call is in fact from the number displayed on Caller ID.

Time will tell how effective it will be. More info here

https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I hear you,Get it a few times a day.
I play games with them ,I press one , voice with
a strange accent from some made up bank etc.
I tell them about their mother .
They cuss me and I cuss back,makes me smile and knowing I wasted their time is a bonus

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
The sellers trying to buy my home are at the top of the current top solicitors Mad

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Stir Shaken set to start June 30.

STIR/SHAKEN digitally validates the handoff of phone calls passing through the complex web of networks, allowing the phone company of the consumer receiving the call to verify that a call is in fact from the number displayed on Caller ID.

Time will tell how effective it will be. More info here

https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

Lord, I hope this works.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Love it when the caller id shows the incoming call is coming from my own number. That is when I tell them that I work for the state police and when they are found I will be coming after them legally. They can"t seem to hang up fast enough. ............................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
"Are ruining?" Wrong tense. Have ruined. They could fix it. They don't want to. Too much money in the present broken system.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Set your phone up to only accept calls in your address book.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I typically get 10 to 15 scam calls a day. Recently I have begun to get spam text messages as well.

quote:
Set your phone up to only accept calls in your address book.

That doesn't work for those who rely on their phones to conduct business.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15696 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
What I hate is the computer calls, saying they found suspicious activity on my Amazon account. I had 9 messages one day, and 5 the next day. “Molly” from the computer Amazon wanted me to call them back to speak to a rep. Umm, not happening. And each time it was from a different number. She sure has a lot of different numbers to use, and all the other calls that hang up when they hear my message to leave a message.
I will not answer unless I know who it is.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Why don't our fearless leaders shut this stuff down. I must imagine no matter how [whatever you want to call them] they are. all politicians would be looking for some kind of across the board / across the aisle / universal win. Who in all of America would shed a single tear to hear that [x] number of pieces of shit were SWAT'd , locked up, millions confiscated etc?

Seems like a good standing sub-task for NSA, CIA type agencies.... "Do your whatever it is you do BUT, while your at it, we need to see [x] amount of scammers and indemnity thieves, credit thieves etc royally fucked-up each and every month."

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I'm undecided on my caller ID. I really like it that I know who it is before answering. Except that crooked sales people or solicitors use it to disguise who and where they are.

Just wait until your Caller ID says it is you, calling you. I've had that happen once. A lot of my spoofed incoming calls are supposedly from my area code and exchange.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
Why don't our fearless leaders shut this stuff down.

Like I wrote above: Follow the money.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Just wait until your Caller ID says it is you, calling you.
I not only call me, I also send email to me offering to sell cryptocurrency to me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to another article that helps explain what is being done:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...cid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Just wait until your Caller ID says it is you, calling you. I've had that happen once. A lot of my spoofed incoming calls are supposedly from my area code and exchange.

I've also had that happen once.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
If the government wanted it stopped, it would be stopped.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
Why don't our fearless leaders shut this stuff down.

Like I wrote above: Follow the money.

How is the phone company (or anyone else) making money by having thousands of spam calls per day go through their system?

Seems more likely people will say "screw it" and dump their phone service.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
How is the phone company (or anyone else) making money by having thousands of spam calls per day go through their system?

It isn't like email. They get paid for carrying those connections and it costs them money in infrastructure costs to prevent them.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I average a half dozen of these a day. They get blocked and logged as such.

The ones that really piss me off are those who take advantage of my voicemail and either leave weird noises or some line of bullshit. Eek Frown Mad Red Face

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post