SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Spoofers and telemarkers are ruining our telephone system
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spoofers and telemarkers are ruining our telephone system Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I average a half dozen of these a day.

Wow. I don't think my wife and I get than many on our two cell phones (T-Mobile) and VoIP landline (CallCentric) combined.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Fredward said, set your phone (assuming you have one that will do this)so it puts only calls from someone on your contact list through to you.

That means your phone will ring ONLY when someone calls you that you have placed on your contact list.

This would, of course, not be good if your phone is being used for business, but for me, who ain't doing no business, it's a Godsend.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
As Fredward said, set your phone (assuming you have one that will do this)so it puts only calls from someone on your contact list through to you.

Yeah, that's great unless you're doing something like having a surgery and having to deal with calls from doctors' offices, surgeon's schedulers, hospitals, pre-surgery Covid-19 test scheduling, medical supply companies, physical therapists, etc., etc.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25994 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom, whom I take care of all finances for, got a call about her social security number being used to open up many bank accounts and other nonsense. She called me and I told her it is fraud. She says she did not give them any info, but asked to confirm the social security number in question, which of course they could not. The person had an accent too. Thank god she didn't fall for it. She fell for some direct mail scams - including attempting to authorize an international debit card transaction with the bank to pay the "processing fee" for a free $100 Wal Mart gift card. The bank identified this as likely fraud and cancelled the card number, which triggered a notification to me. Now I take care of everything, her mail comes to my house, and I give her cash for expenses that are not direct paid. She has no internet, no email, just a cell phone.

Most of this stuff is coming from India. I can tell just by the phrasing they use even if it is just a computer voice. Invariably they have an Indian accent if you get a person.

How about some government PSA's on TV? The IRS or Soc Sec Administration or law enforcement will never call you on the phone to tell you there is a problem. They will send notice in writing or by service of process or arrest without telling you in advance.

Mostly I get the fake hotel promotions for free stays. It was almost always "Marriott" and now "Hilton" is the latest. Usually I select the option to hear an agent, put the phone on mute and let them waste their time. That is how you hurt them - waste time - since they are on a clock.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am now receiving text messages from an English sounding name offering 400 dollars per week for vinyl stickers advertising various goods. I just apply them to my bike or car{covering all socioeconomic groups here} and go on my way. They just need some information from me. The grammar sounds East Indian but is generally correct. Last week I got two faxes from Canadian attorneys offering me several million dollars because they could not locate the proper heirs to an estate.

I have to admit I prefer that to being jacked up on the street. It just gets old.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Gawd I hate them. I no longer answer the phone unless I'm sitting next to it and recognize the caller. Any out of area or unknown caller is ignored. When I do answer, unless there is someone on the other end instantly, I just hang up. Not how I was trained or learned. There are no longer phone manners as I was taught. If you call me, you'd better say "hello" back.

You're calling and interrupting my day (not that I'm doing anything of value). If you don't speak English well, forget it. What makes these fools think I would buy anything from them when they lie about where they are? Starting an intended sales pitch with a lie isn't working with me. If you've got a foreign accent, why would I trust you after you've wspoofed some neighbors number?

Maybe I'm biased because I'm old. I no longer trust any sales person who pitches me. They're all just liars, and telling me that with a lie just makes me hang up. Are folks just that lonesome they'll talk to anyone?

Spoofing is a big part of it. Why we allow foreigners to spoof a domestic call is beyond me. Or maybe I know, its corrupt politicians that haven't mandated that any call originating in one place can't spoof being here. I'm undecided on my caller ID. I really like it that I know who it is before answering. Except that crooked sales people or solicitors use it to disguise who and where they are. I'm guessing they're all crooked because if they weren't, they'd be upfront from the get-go.

So why do they allow it? Is it just crooked politicians that take pay offs to keep things as they are? Is there some valid reason to allow others to spoof a number? My phone rings about a dozen times a day and maybe 1, if I'm lucky, is a good call or number. Pretty poor odds.

My sentiments exactly! I often wonder why I'm paying some $60 a month to CenturyLink for a service that the only thing it seems to be good for is a means for spoofers and telemarketers to try and contact me.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
When I was running a Galaxy phone I'd get 6 a day. Now on a Google Pixel and I get half that and maybe one a week makes it past to my voice mail.

Posts: 7503 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Occasionally I answer a number I don’t know but only to practice my Slovak. Big Grin

Posts: 3126 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
The sellers trying to buy my home are at the top of the current top solicitors Mad

My most recent exchange which seems to have worked thus far.

windows screen capture

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
STIR/SHAKEN seems to be working.

I am on AT&T for cellular and use Google Messages for texting. I use the AT&T Call Protect feature and DO NOT DISTURB on the phone. Spam/spoof calls get picked up by the Call Protect, to the tune of several calls per day. Since July 1st, not one SPAM/SPOOF call and, with Google Messages, not one SPAM text.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Big Grin Big Grin

The gentleman that mostly keeps calling me seems to be a nice guy but I get multiple calls and texts from several people. I can set my iPhone to silence unknown numbers which automatically sends them to my voicemail, which usually works and they hang up. But like ensigmatic mentioned in his post, there are days that I'm expecting important calls and I have to turn off that feature to receive the intended caller thus opening the door to these solicitors and not knowing who it is calling I answer and have to cut them off and then block their number. My block call list looks like a local city directory Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
STIR/SHAKEN not so much for me.... Several spam calls a day still happening. And hot chix are texting me, just desperate to meet me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It's been nice since the 1st when this new program started. Not even 1 spam or junk call.

Until today. 2 of those sonzabitchs calling today.

Bastards. Worthless scum.

Edit to add: had 3 today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well Foey!

I received 3 spam phone calls yesterday and so far today 2.

ARRRGGGGG!!!

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I ignore them…sometimes I answer them and play games, depending on what they are looking for.

On the extended car warranty calls, my most recent car purchases have been Ferraris…apparently they don’t offer extended warranties for them. Secret Special Agent Steve from the SS Problem Department, who was going to put me behind the bar if I didn’t cooperate, got my SS#…8675309…and I told him I prefer to be called “Jenny.”

He didn’t find that amusing as I did…

Posts: 714 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Never did understand the need to be "connected" all of the time. What a blessing to NOT having cell, radio or TV service to interrupt my peaceful life. Yeah I believe in Luddites!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have my iPhone set to send callers directly to voicemail without ringing the phone, unless the incoming call is from a number in my directory.

In the last couple hours I have received well over a hundred voicemail messages, caller ID on most of them is (407) 921-xxxx, where everything except the xxxx matches my number, the rest of them show caller ID from (470) 567 xxxx, in the Atlanta area.

I'm hearing impaired, so I can't hear the message, but the voice-to-text transcription is essentially the same on all of them: "Blah blah nine dollar blah blah Amazon blah blah to dispute this charge press two blah blah blah."

The bastages are hitting my wife's phone with the same shit.

Over a hundred of these on my phone, plus the ones on my wife's phone, in two hours! It's almost getting to the point where I would vote for a (shudder) democrat if s/he would provide an iron-clad guarantee that scam calls, scam texts, scam emails, etc. would be totally eliminated within 90 days of the election.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30536 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

It's almost getting to the point where I would vote for a (shudder) democrat

Well, that'll never happen in the future.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDHunz:
Sometimes I ignore them…sometimes I answer them and play games, depending on what they are looking for.

On the extended car warranty calls, my most recent car purchases have been Ferraris…apparently they don’t offer extended warranties for them. Secret Special Agent Steve from the SS Problem Department, who was going to put me behind the bar if I didn’t cooperate, got my SS#…8675309…and I told him I prefer to be called “Jenny.”

He didn’t find that amusing as I did…

Don't know why they wouldn't offer their warranty on a Ferrari. They don't plan on paying a claim anyway.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're not ruining it, they've done ruined it. Mad

Most people no longer answer their phone. They wait to see if the caller leaves a VM to see what they want.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post