SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So much for Toyotas being long lived...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So much for Toyotas being long lived... Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
just remembered, (hell getting almost old)

my brother from another mother had a 92 pickup,
the little stripped model Toyota used to sell,

nothing extra, 4cyl 5speed vinyl interior

with just oil changes etc, valve adjustments ete etc he sold it to a mechanic he knows at 498K,

mechanic wanted it to teach his son how to drive and how to go thru a motor (he was going to pull redo it)

I used to work at a Toyota dealership, and they had an old beat up truck around that year that they use to haul stuff around the lot. That thing had close to a million miles on the odometer the last time I saw it.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Just to be clear about your rant. You’re bitching that your used 24 year old pickup isn’t “long lived” enough? FML

I agree, not much room to complain about a 24 year old truck purchased used with miles north of 200k. My mom's 2000 Camry lasted 16 years and 244,000 miles before it developed a bad oil leak that wasn't worth fixing. I thought 16 years and 244000 miles was good especially since the car never required any serious/costly repairs.

Question for the OP....was your Ford F250 gas or diesel?

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Do you hear a single click from under the hood when you try to start, or nothing at all?

If you hear nothing, your start signal circuit from the ignition switch to the starter needs to be checked.

If you hear a single click every time you try to crank the engine, then your starting issue sounds like the starter solenoid has worn contacts. These use Denso starters, so the starters are rock solid, the contacts wear down and can be replaced really cheap for replacement parts.

Unfortunately the starter does reside under the intake manifold. So a $30 parts job turns into about a $300 parts job.

My Lexus LS400 started doing this. I purchased heavy duty contact and plunger kit from an outfit in the midwest, I did not replace the starter as the starter motor itself will last forever IMO. Another $260 in OEM gaskets and coolant, then my labor to do the job. Overall not a terrible job.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just to be clear about your rant. You’re bitching that your used 24 year old pickup isn’t “long lived” enough? FML

No, pretty sure that's not the point. Appears he's bitching that his Toyota needs money tossed at it for repairs just as he was getting his finances and credit cards under control.

Who here hasn't had that problem, regardless of manufacturer, part, appliance, kids, whatever the reason.

Gheez you Toyota guys are awful touchy..... Big Grin

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
I am a Toyota fan! But, like any vehicle they can have issues! Learned a long and many vehicle brands ago new or used is going to have some sort of issue. If it is made by humans, be wary, there is no 'perfection'. Vehicles can and will be money pits, after all you do have to lube your skil saws.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

No, pretty sure that's not the point. Appears he's bitching that his Toyota needs money tossed at it for repairs just as he was getting his finances and credit cards under control.

Who here hasn't had that problem, regardless of manufacturer, part, appliance, kids, whatever the reason.

Gheez you Toyota guys are awful touchy..... Big Grin

That right there. TRYING to get things under control is the key phrase. I'd really like to be able to retire in another couple years. Timing is everything and the timing on this thing sucked, a whole raft of things going to shit all at once over a span of about a week. The Tundra was just the last straw and I blew up a little. Sorry if some of you guys got your feelings hurt, try not to take it personally.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have a Toyota Venza, Not bad...but and a little bit of luxury too but its not as solid as ford for sure. I don't expect a Toyota to out live a Benz, Ford or Dodge.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well then I’m going to start a rant about shitty titles that aren’t on point. Where’s bendable when you need him?

“So much for Toyota’s being long lived...” isn’t even close to “Just when I thought I got my finances under control...”. Blaming Toyota for the latter is bullshit. As is the original title.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post