SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So much for Toyotas being long lived...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So much for Toyotas being long lived... Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
just remembered, (hell getting almost old)

my brother from another mother had a 92 pickup,
the little stripped model Toyota used to sell,

nothing extra, 4cyl 5speed vinyl interior

with just oil changes etc, valve adjustments ete etc he sold it to a mechanic he knows at 498K,

mechanic wanted it to teach his son how to drive and how to go thru a motor (he was going to pull redo it)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
First off, I'd check the battery cable connections at the battery. You recently replaced it, and given the issues that you're describing, that's the first place I'd look. It sounds like you have some other electrical gremlins that you need to chase down, too, which are causing a parasitic draw on the battery...I'd start by looking in the cruise control circuit for that one if it recently stopped working. Brakes are a wear item that need to be replaced and maintained on any vehicle, regardless of brand.

I'm not a Toyota fan by any means, but you're talking about a 21 year-old, 200k+ mile truck here. Stuff ages, wears out, and breaks. I drive old Chevys of about the same age as your truck...but I maintain them and do the work myself. Usually I come out ahead...but only because I'm not paying somebody else for labor and parts mark-up. It's not all sunshine and roses, though....sometimes stuff breaks at really inopportune times and I have to deal with the inconvenience, drop what I'm doing, and fix it...or in rare occasions even take the hit and pay the man.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Had a Nissan Murano I had so many issues with I traded it with only 40,000 miles on it for a Toyota Highlander. So far I'M more than pleased with it.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
My guess is either the starter or solenoid, or maybe a connection.

I hate to pile on, but if it's the starter, it's under the intake manifold …

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Wow, talk about kicking over an anthill. I guess this is one of those things that people feel strongly about, one way or the other. I get it, brand loyalty and all. I also get that Toyota wouldn't have the reputation they have if it wasn't at least mostly earned. Apologies all around if I seriously offended anybody. Like I said, it's just that this crap is dropping on me all at the same time.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Still driving the mid 90s T100 I bought in 2005.
*Shrug*

Hasn't always been hassle free, but much less so than anything else in my life during the same time.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Re the problem in the original post, I had exactly the same symptoms with a brand new battery in a 2010 Ford Edge.

The old battery died a sudden death. It's last gasp was enough to get me to the place that had the combination of close to me and low price, Batteries Plus. They installed a new battery, something that I could have done easily enough, but there was no cost for the service, so I figured "why shouldn't the Old Guy let somebody else do the job?"

The two kids who were doing it could not figure out what the problem was. They told me that my starter was probably bad.

I replied that I had serviced my own cars before their fathers were born and the problem was the battery installation, not the starter. I found that I could wiggle the cables slightly, so I told them to tighten the bolts on the battery cable connectors. They just stared at me, so I got a wrench from my tool kit, tightened the connectors, and lo and behold, everything worked just fine.

Imagine that. The Geezer knew what he was talking about.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t think you kicked over an anthill or stepped on owner loyalty. At all. I’ve owned 3 Toyota’s. 2 were great, last one I traded in with 6000 miles on it because I was so frustrated. Not a fanboy. If I had gotten 24 years out of the car and over 200+ thousand miles from it I wouldn’t have bitched about getting rid of it.

You bought a two plus decade old car and it’s got issues. You know nothing of it’s first 20 years of upkeep and yet you still think it’s reasonable to bitch about how unfounded Toyota claims of longevity are.

It is like you lack the self awareness gene. Nobody is defending any brands here. We are all reacting to a nonsensical rant on your part. You are bitching about longevity issues on a nearly two and and a half decade old truck. What?

24 year old used truck with a couple hundred thousand miles on it. Seriously, what the fuck did you think you were buying? Old cars require maintenance. Usually a lot more than new cars but people who keep cars this long do the work themselves and save money.

I’m sorry it’s hitting you at a bad time. That sucks.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
as mentioned I have a first gen, first year , Tundra I bought as a demo in 2000..
truck may have been made in 2000 or late 1999 (would need to look)

so,, 21 yrs old,,,,,,,

not 24

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops. I misread his first line. I don’t back off my point whatsoever though. It’s a 21 year old truck that apparently he has owned for 3 and a half years which is now giving issues.

Who in the fuck buys a 18 year old car, drives it for 3 years and then bitches about how unreliable this POS is? I love a good rant. This ain’t that. It’s fucking stupid. Get a new fucking truck. If it breaks down then you get to bitch and not sound ridiculous. Two decades old? Yea, news flash, it will be more maintenance intensive than a newer truck.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
IMO it's probably wrong to attach problems to a manufacturer of any used vehicle one buys with over 100,000 miles. And even then I'd want a detailed maintenance log because not knowing what maintenance was (and more importantly was not) done over that 100,000 miles means everything.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a bad alternator, which on a Toyota was probably original.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I have to agree that any vehicle still running after 20 years was built very well and doesn't warrant a rant. Recently sold a lexus with 350,000 miles on it. Bought it for 4K used and drove it almost 15 years after I bought it (still running when sold and got 1.5k for it ). Still have a 2006 lexus with 230,000 and a 2009 tacoma with 140,000. Thank God for used Toyota/Lexus vehicles, because I can't afford anything new these days...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Who in the fuck buys a 18 year old car, drives it for 3 years and then bitches about how unreliable this POS is? I love a good rant. This ain’t that. It’s fucking stupid. Get a new fucking truck. If it breaks down then you get to bitch and not sound ridiculous. Two decades old? Yea, news flash, it will be more maintenance intensive than a newer truck.

He probably didn't even pay much for it. LOL.

Back in 2017, I got a 2003 Honda Civic for the great price of free 99. Only things I had to pay for were shipping and tags which cost me $1,100. Drove that car for 3.5 years only changing oil, filters, tires, starter and a fuel tank cover. Sold it for $350 before I left Florida.

Not going to complain at all about that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Edmond,

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate to pile on, but if it's the starter, it's under the intake manifold …

They're really easy to do. I've done about half dozen or so for friends and family. Not the greatest design location in the world, but not terrible either.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Back in 2017, I got a 2014 Honda Civic for the great price of free 99. Only things I had to pay for were shipping and tags which cost me $1,100. Drove that car for 3.5 years only changing oil, filters, tires, starter and a fuel tank cover. Sold it for $350 before I left Florida.

... You sold it at a mere 6 years old for only $350?

The Blue Book on a basic, average condition 2014 Honda Civic, even with 100k miles, is ~20x that even today. (~$7,000)

So what was the catch? Totaled and on a salvage title while being barely drivable? Last owner died in it in the middle of the summer, and wasn't found for days? Family of rabid racoons busted out a window and nested down inside the upholstery? Prior owner (or you) decided to Dukes of Hazzard it over a rising drawbridge?

Or was the buyer just that cute that you decided to knock it down to 95% off? Big Grin

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
... You got a 3 year old car for free, and sold it at a mere 6 years old for only $350?

The Blue Book on an average 2014 Honda Civic, even with 100k miles, is like 20x that even today. (~$7,000)

So what was the catch? Totaled and on a salvage title while being barely drivable? Last owner died in it in the middle of the summer, and wasn't found for days? Family of rabid racoons busted out a window and nested down inside? Prior owner (or you) decided to Dukes of Hazzard it over a rising drawbridge?

Or was the buyer just that cute that you decided to knock it down to 95% off? Big Grin

Sorry, I mean to say it was a 2003 as in a 14 year old car. I think the book was around $400.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

He probably didn't even pay much for it. LOL.

Have you seen the prices for used trucks? I have a friend of mine who just bought a used 2003 Toyota Tundra with 160k on it for $8500. 1 owner, all service done by the Toyota dealership, $1,200 brand new Michelin tires all around and there's plenty of other trucks that have more mileage and no service history that are getting $10k+.

I helped him drive it home the other day from the seller's home after they changed all the fluids and fixed a few things that had to be done for it to pass inspection. Not for nothing but my Dad's 2001 F150 with 120k miles on it drives better.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crossfire fanatic

Picture of mr.sig239
posted Hide Post
Another problem with your old truck could be that nothing kills a vehicle faster than lack of use.

phil

Posts: 2383 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: November 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
... You got a 3 year old car for free, and sold it at a mere 6 years old for only $350?

The Blue Book on an average 2014 Honda Civic, even with 100k miles, is like 20x that even today. (~$7,000)

So what was the catch? Totaled and on a salvage title while being barely drivable? Last owner died in it in the middle of the summer, and wasn't found for days? Family of rabid racoons busted out a window and nested down inside? Prior owner (or you) decided to Dukes of Hazzard it over a rising drawbridge?

Sorry, I mean to say it was a 2003 as in a 14 year old car. I think the book was around $400.

I just traded in a 2003 Ford Ranger and got $4,500.00 for it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post