SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lack of all wheel drive lawn mowers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lack of all wheel drive lawn mowers Login/Join 
posted
I have a decent grade hill in my backyard. My AWD mower has made it easier to cut than a rear wheel drive which tends to just spin.

I have started looking for new one and there is next to nothing AWD. The only two mowers I found were a Toro and a Troy Built. The Troy built has some weird drive system where it can do front/rear/AWD separately.

There are tons of battery mowers but none are AWD.

I’m seriously debating looking for a used commercial walk behind mower like a 36” exmark

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Husquavarna make a AWD walk behind.They ain't cheap tho.

https://www.chappelltractor.co...Hampshire---16371541

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Husqvarna doesn’t even show that Mower on their website. I have a husqvarna now and assumed they stopped making them

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Husqvarna doesn’t even show that Mower on their website. I have a husqvarna now and assumed they stopped making them

I have that same mower. Bought it at Lowe’s.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would look for a used one on Craigslist list.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I, too, have a Husqvarna AWD walk behind. Lucked into it for free from someone in the neighborhood that was going to a lawn service.

He said it wouldn't start without starting fluid, but it turned out to be the auto-choke was inop. It's a coiled wire type device that adjusts as it heats up.
I ran a wire cable to it & just manually hold it open to start & let it idle for a minute, then let the cable back in. Runs great.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Comes up on Lowes web page...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqv...on-Engine/1000179617

I clicked the link and it says no longer available at Lowes.com

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m seriously debating looking for a used commercial walk behind mower like a 36” exmark

36" mowers are hard to find. It seems like 48" are a dime a dozen, but the 36" are far more rare on the used market out here.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Comes up on Lowes web page...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqv...on-Engine/1000179617

I clicked the link and it says no longer available at Lowes.com

YOu are correct I missed that....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The crew that does all of our landscape maintenance work uses zero-turn mowers. I can watch them work for hours without getting tired.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1091 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Locally, I've seen some zero turn mowers with tracks on the rear, instead of tires. Not sure if that would help you or not.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What about a FWD model? That would pull rather than spin on hills, right?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I have a Honda Commercial walk behind mower. It climbs the steep hill in my rear yard with ease. It's heavy though at, I believe, about 125 pounds. Not cheap either.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Plugugly:
Locally, I've seen some zero turn mowers with tracks on the rear, instead of tires. Not sure if that would help you or not.

https://www.rcmowersusa.com/

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A buddy had a similar problem. He eventually went with a pull behind finish mower that he pulled with an ATV.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
You didn't say how much you want to spend so I will throw this out there. The Ventrac, a buddy has one and its a absolute beast.

If that to much you could go for the old rider with the hydraulic winch and walk behind.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys crack me up. I’m not looking to spend 25k to cut 90 ft of hillside lol. $1500 for a used commercial walk behind would be my max. The wife already balked at $1500 even though I tried to explain to her about time/effort vs money.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys crack me up. I’m not looking to spend 25k to cut 90 ft of hillside lol. $1500 for a used commercial walk behind would be my max. The wife already balked at $1500 even though I tried to explain to her about time/effort vs money.
I may have a 36" Toro walk behind for sale. I'm in New Castle.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post