SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lack of all wheel drive lawn mowers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lack of all wheel drive lawn mowers Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have mowed some extreme hills with something like a Wright Stander. Not recommending the floating deck type - they take more skill due to the weight.

A walk behind an do similar. I’d go 48-52.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
You guys crack me up. I’m not looking to spend 25k to cut 90 ft of hillside lol.

Come on now, don't cheap out on us and ruin our fun! Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
You guys crack me up. I’m not looking to spend 25k to cut 90 ft of hillside lol.

Come on now, don't cheap out on us and ruin our fun! Big Grin

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xtrOaOyN1Dk" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That is about as cool as it can get!

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I wonder how long it will be before someone invents a mower that incorporates the benefits of a robo vac and those underground pet fences.

You just press your remote and send it on its way. When the battery gets low it finds its way back to the charger. Or better yet you could set it up on a timer to mow your yard every how many days you’d like…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I wonder how long it will be before someone invents a mower that incorporates the benefits of a robo vac and those underground pet fences.

You just press your remote and send it on its way. When the battery gets low it finds its way back to the charger. Or better yet you could set it up on a timer to mow your yard every how many days you’d like…

https://www.tractorsupply.com/...XDyioPEaAlUcEALw_wcB

Like this?

Posts: 1273 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spdski:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Like this?

I'd worry about it ending up in my poolEek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spdski:

Like this?

Interesting blade set up. Central disc with three short removable blades. I can see advantages to this set up. Any other mowers using such a cutting system? Reasons a traditional blade would be preferred?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Ah, the good ol’ Meg-Mo design. These are very controversial in the pro mower community. Worth a laugh to read the reviews.

I’d imagine they’d work better in a single spindle setup like this.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
They’re not the most maneuverable or fastest but the Steiner mowers are great on inclines.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Shop around for a lightly used zero turn. I found one for !500 and sold my old mower for 700.

$800 later I found out that it is low and wide enough to cut across the hillside and takes half the time.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, goats are AWD, kind of. A goat would make that 90’ hillside look good.
If you only get one, you don’t need to worry about all those little brown Goat Eggs being fertilized and turning into more goats.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with goats is keeping them where you want them. If your fence is tight enough to hold water, it has a fair chance of slowing down your goats. Smile

That said, they're used on a rental basis for cleaning up along highways and around airports. They take longer than a mower, but they get it done. They must be ok at it, since people make money renting them out.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Ah, the good ol’ Meg-Mo design. These are very controversial in the pro mower community. Worth a laugh to read the reviews.

Tell me more. If they're controversial, can I assume they can have a place? Also, any links to the pro mower community? I've used MyTractorForum with limited results.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I do find questions. I will say my 2WD commercial Toro is hard enough to keep working right, 4WD would seem to be a whole other can of worms. Particularly when mowing a significant hill regularly like I do.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
The problem with goats is keeping them where you want them. If your fence is tight enough to hold water, it has a fair chance of slowing down your goats. Smile

That said, they're used on a rental basis for cleaning up along highways and around airports. They take longer than a mower, but they get it done. They must be ok at it, since people make money renting them out.

Goats have only one aim in life: escape. They are the Houdini of the animal kingdom.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Tell me more. If they're controversial, can I assume they can have a place? Also, any links to the pro mower community? I've used MyTractorForum with limited results.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I do find questions. I will say my 2WD commercial Toro is hard enough to keep working right, 4WD would seem to be a whole other can of worms. Particularly when mowing a significant hill regularly like I do.

I don’t really go there anymore but lawnsite.com is where I kept a login active. The Meg-mo blades usually get a “I’ll never use anything else” or “I can’t believe they sell these useless things”. They tend to leave strips of uncut grass according to the pros that have tried them but apparently they pulverize grass and leaves into a breathable powder. Big Grin

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thanks, mark123. I was under the impression one only needed the last couple inches of a traditional blade sharpened to get the job done. That's why I thought this Husky setup would be good on a single blade mower. Surprised I guess about uncut strips of grass.

And of course, even without that, it's not like one could just pop one of these on without a dedicated setup or an adaptor.