SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Love Hate computer Bluetooth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love Hate computer Bluetooth Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I've always been averse to Bluetooth on my computer. Connectivity issues. Limited distance. Quality of service. Hard to troubleshoot.

However, I've been using a bluetooth headset for telcons on my computer. It works well on phones so it should work well on PC's, right? Well, it does and am pretty happy.

Took an chance on a Logi bluetooth mouse. I guess mouse is harder to support and more complicated because it sucks. Mouse movements stutter and lag. It buffers so that it seems like the cursor is stuck but then catches up so that the cursor is instantly on the other side of the screen. Sucks, sucks, sucks. So I tried using the unifying receiver - so far so good.

I'd like to move to bluetooth for mouse and keyboard. But looks like those devices are too complicated still. (said somewhat sarcastically). WTF big tech? Can't make this little shit work even after 4 or 5 major generations of the technology?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think proprietary USB wireless is the way to go for keyboard and mouse. Never been happy with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I put a bluetooth dongle on my new Win10 box so it would connect to my hearing aids.

I'm not very impressed. Lot of dropout, have to re-pair it to my hearing aids every time I sit down at the computer. Suspect it's something about the aids trying to pair both to the computer and my phone.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've always used a USB wired keyboard on principle. I want to make sure it is always available during OS installs, and other "not-normal" operations like single user mode, when bluetooth may not be active. I like mechanical keyboards and just keep mine wired all the time.

I regularly use Apple's Magic Mouse and Trackpad (both bluetooth), with no issues (no stuttering or lagging). I do keep an old USB wired mouse (an Apple Mighty Mouse) in a drawer, just in case. It has been needed on a very few occasions during an OS install or recovery, when bluetooth was not yet active. I usually can get by in that situation using keyboard shortcuts/navigation, but once in a great while a mouse is needed.

I have a set of bluetooth headphones (Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H4) that I use with my Apple TV. They have excellent sound and maintain a perfect connection.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I put a bluetooth dongle on my new Win10 box so it would connect to my hearing aids.

I'm not very impressed. Lot of dropout, have to re-pair it to my hearing aids every time I sit down at the computer. Suspect it's something about the aids trying to pair both to the computer and my phone.

Nah, that's Windows, mostly. Windows BT support is hot garbage at best, always has been. I've gotten a couple of headsets to work consistently but it was not fun getting to that point.

I like Windows over most other operating systems, but not for this.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could be the receiver that you plug in to the USB port needs a line of sight or mounted in a front USB port.

I've had the lag problems in the past and ran a USB to USB cord so that the little blue tooth stick is in the front. If it was mounted in the back of my desk top the signal strength was too weak and caused problems.

Haven't had any problems since and I'm running the newest logitech gaming mouse without issues.

Posts: 966 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:

Nah, that's Windows, mostly. Windows BT support is hot garbage at best, always has been. I've gotten a couple of headsets to work consistently but it was not fun getting to that point.

I like Windows over most other operating systems, but not for this.

Color me not surprised.

I do have the dongle on a front USB port and (sometimes...) if I move my head just right, it reduces the drop-out problems.

Funny tho, my phone stays connected even if I leave it on my desk and I'm in the basement or upstairs.

Way ta go, Bill, ya fuckstik.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Used to have a Logitec BT mouse working fine under W7, connected to my Vista class Toshiba laptop plugged to my 32' TV.
The mouse operated all across the room, so i could watch TV and use the laptop also as a media player from my bed, 4 yards away

That was like 10 years ago.

After that, no decent BT memories with BT better than 2.0 or the following Windoze.
Have headsets, mice, keyboards, phones and tablets and ear buds. Build it, USB dongles, 2.x ~ 4.x. Nothing is close to reliable.

Never payed attention to BT while trying a Linux distro. There's an idea...

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i would look at the Logitech MX Master series it does both bluetooth and unifying receiver it my be overkill for just web surfing but if you use it for office or adobe and the like its a nifty tool to have

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I’ve used all types of bluetooth on other platforms but Windows can be tricky.

Biggest thing is it's schizophrenic design. There can be multiple places where you have to go in and change power management defaults, which means by default windows can decide to power your device off after xx time has passed.

Depending on how your Windows 10 system is configured (plus third-party software) there can be multiple places you have to DESELECT Windows trying to decide what you need, plus you might also want to check "services" configurations.

For example- (this defaults "ON"- you have to deselect).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Bluetooth is just a low power close range scale wireless protocol and susceptible to similar issues that traditional Wi-Fi has.
It is usually built-in to the Wi-Fi chip/adaptor or provided by a USB dongle/plug.
It could be anything from the BT version to the the normal debilitating factors like interference, distance etc.
It could be the source - it could be the client.
You just may have a bad device - it happens.
FWIW, it is not a MS issue.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m using an expensive Logitech ergo mouse. $100. Sucks over bt. Receiver seems to be working fine. I don’t have those power management tabs. I’ve seen them before on older computers but not on this new one.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
Not a bluetooth fan. I use it to connect my phone in the car, and as mentioned before, for an apple magic keyboard/mouse. I prefer wired.

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post