SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Credit card fraud again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit card fraud again Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
How to activate ApplePay on your iWatch and how to add cards..

Link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
How to activate ApplePay on your iWatch and how to add cards.

Nitpick: It's not an "iWatch." That trade name is owned by companies and individuals other than Apple.

See: Why the Apple Watch isn’t called the iWatch

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

My 13yo has a debit card...

We have two credit cards, one is a back up. The primary gets hacked every few years and we use the back up until Chase sends a new one.

Is it correct that when a debit card is hacked the money is gone with no reimbursement from the company?

No. Just can take longer to get it back.

That’s why we teach him to keep very little money in the account, transferring out of his savings before making purchases over $30 or so.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
How to activate ApplePay on your iWatch and how to add cards.

Nitpick: It's not an "iWatch." That trade name is owned by companies and individuals other than Apple.

See: Why the Apple Watch isn’t called the iWatch

Yep know that about the iWatch...., but I'm calling it an iWatch anyway Big Grin

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is this for an epic credit card fraud. Through my federal employment my US Government travel credit card all of the sudden got a charge for a restaurant in London UK and some other charges in the United Arab Emerites. So I called right away. Turns out I wasn't the only one. Dozens of UG Gov't cards from multiple agencies got hacked with bogus charges. Never made the news, but I thought it was a big deal. All of the charges were overseas. I know the USSS investigated it. (They were under Treasury at the time it happened, so their jurisdiction). Never found out how the investigation ended or if they caught the perps.)

Posts: 1053 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it correct that when a debit card is hacked the money is gone with no reimbursement from the company?

No, but that rumor circulates around the net all the time. The truth is that you can get it back, but you have to act fast due to the limitations of the law.

https://www.experian.com/blogs...er-than-debit-cards/

The law governing debit cards, though, is not quite so powerful. If a person used your debit card without your knowledge or authorization, your liability is protected by the Electronic Funds Transfer Act, which gives you the right to challenge fraudulent transactions. But you'd better act fast. As long as you alert the bank that your card was stolen or compromised before someone uses it, you won't be liable for any of the future transactions. Wait two business days after the fraud and you might have to pay up to $50. Miss that deadline and wait 60 days, and your liability increases to $500. Let 60 days pass and your liability is unlimited, which means all your money in the account that was taken might be lost for good.

Even if you do report a fraudulent debit card charge in time, reimbursement can take up to two weeks. That can put you in a precarious position. You may not have enough cash to pay for such vital expenses as your rent, mortgage, food or gas. And if it prevents you from paying your credit card and loan bills, a late payment can wind up on your credit report, which will negatively affect your credit scores.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

That can put you in a precarious position. You may not have enough cash to pay for such vital expenses as your rent, mortgage, food or gas. And if it prevents you from paying your credit card and loan bills, a late payment can wind up on your credit report, which will negatively affect your credit scores.

I have a relative who fell into that abyss. He only deals with one bank, a big nasty infamous practically a criminal enterprise. Something went wrong and he was locked out of all of his money at said bank.

I told him I have 2 Credit Unions, they treat you a lot better, really well in fact. I have a checking and savings at each, and I keep more than enough money at each so that I can sustain my normal life operations financially. If something gets screwed up, which has never happened in over 30 years, I just use the other.

I really don't know why someone would deal with those infamous crappy huge banks. Go to one of your local credit unions and get open with them.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I really don't know why someone would deal with those infamous crappy huge banks. Go to one of your local credit unions and get open with them.

Since you asked, I'll tell you. I've used Chase Bank for a long time, probably around the last 17 years or so and I've never had a single issue with them. Free Checking, free wire transfers, free Business Checking, free safe deposit box, free checks and a phone call and meeting from time to time with my Personal Banker.

Why in the world would I even think of changing?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post