SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Credit card fraud again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit card fraud again Login/Join 
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted
I got an email from my bank last week telling me that my credit card may have been compromised due to a data breech that a company recently had. So they sent me a new card. Here we are 5 days after activating the replacement card and I get an email about a potential compromise of the new card.

I call the bank, they ask me about recent purchases, and sure enough, the new card has already been used for fraudulent purchases.

That new card got used one time, one flipping time at the local Gas station.

I hope whoever got this card number has an extremely slow agonizingly painful death. Gets drug under a bus or something similar. I hate thieves.

It seems to be a fact of life these days that a credit card is only good for 6 months or so before some asshat gets the number and starts using it for shit.

This should be a death penalty offense.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Primary reason I never stick my card in a machine unless I have no choice. Gas station pumps are probably about the worst place to stick your CC, being as the readers are unattended.

Better than half the places from which I regularly purchase products now support Apple Pay readers--including our most-frequented carry-out restaurant and our corner gas station.

For the rest of them I'm thinking of reverting to cash.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I went through a time where one of my cards got jacked every 9 months or so, but then it stopped for 3 years or so.

Got hit again around 3 or 4 months ago but nothing since.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I never stick my card in a machine unless I have no choice.
Question: Is the "no-contact, tap to pay" more secure than inserting a card?

I'm not talking about Apple Pay, I'm referring to the readers that use a VISA or MasterCard, but do not require card insertion.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30548 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I never stick my card in a machine unless I have no choice.
Question: Is the "no-contact, tap to pay" more secure than inserting a card?

I'm not talking about Apple Pay, I'm referring to the readers that use a VISA or MasterCard, but do not require card insertion.

No. Apple Pay is more secure than a physical CC, contactless or otherwise, because Apple Pay transmits a kind of "virtual CC number," rather than the card's actual number.

And this explains why retailers such as Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. don't like Apple Pay: They can't track your purchasing habits via your CC number because they never get your CC number.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Primary reason I never stick my card in a machine unless I have no choice.

I try not to do that at all, but around here, I have not found a single station that has apple pay or anything like it.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Had my CC information stolen also. I've been on car trips lower 16 states. Next thing I know, I got flagged that my card was used in UT. The CC company caught 2 charges but I think they let it through but they missed a 3rd fraudulent charge.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I try not to do that at all, but around here, I have not found a single station that has apple pay or anything like it.

Try cash, it never gets hacked! My cards get hacked so often I only use cash now. Online purchases only one credit card.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
How to use your phone to pay for Gas

Some pumps will take Apple Pay or Google pay most setup for NFC, looks like a network connection Icon on the pump.

Several gas companies have their own apps and you can use a cc or apple pay through their apps

BP (Android, iPhone)
Chevron (Android, iPhone, iPad)
Exxon Mobile (Android, iPhone)
Shell (Android, iPhone)

WaWa stations have the NFC logo, need to check into that and stop using the CC at the pump, using my iWatch would be great when on the bike...

You can always verify if a location accepts Apple Pay by using the Apple Maps App. All that you need to do is search for the location that you want to shop at in Apple Maps.

You can see in the image below that we pulled up a Wawa in New Castle, Delaware. When you scroll down to the ‘Useful to Know’ section of the app, you will see the Apple Pay logo if the location takes Apple Pay. Since Wawa takes Apple Pay, Apple Maps displays the Apple Pay logo (circled in red below).

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pumps here have large blue tamper proof seals around the card reader. I make sure they are in place or I dont use the pump.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Primary reason I never stick my card in a machine unless I have no choice. Gas station pumps are probably about the worst place to stick your CC, being as the readers are unattended.

Better than half the places from which I regularly purchase products now support Apple Pay readers--including our most-frequented carry-out restaurant and our corner gas station.

Same here. I try to use Apple Pay wherever I can.

I actually don't mind gas stations because I can check to see if the card reader has been tampered with. It's places like convenience stores where you have to hand over your card and they swipe it through a reader off to the side or under the counter that I worry about most.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
All that works great if you are in an area with a bunch of choices. It's 30 miles to the bank to get cash and about 35 or more to a gas station that has the modern NFC stuff.

― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

posted Hide Post
If you use the same brand of gas, see if they have an app. I use the ExxonMobil app on phone, with Apple Pay as the payment method. I don’t do anything at the pump. When I pull up at the pump, I just get out my phone, select the pump number I want to use, and it authorizes the pump. Then just pump and go.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
If you use the same brand of gas, see if they have an app. I use the ExxonMobil app on phone, with Apple Pay as the payment method. I don’t do anything at the pump. When I pull up at the pump, I just get out my phone, select the pump number I want to use, and it authorizes the pump. Then just pump and go.

I do use an Exxon station most of the time. They are not enabled for that technology yet. Out here in the sticks, that internet fad has not caught on with some of the old country stores. Confused Seriously the internet capabilities in most of this area are lacking to allow for many things like that.

My home internet is LTE based and pretty slow, but that is about the only choice I have right now.

― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

I've got a buddy that uses that store a lot to fill up. I'll pass the info along so he can be a little more vigilant and maybe to have him fill up in Ashland instead of his way through BD.

Sorry you got hit. I agree that they should die a long slow painful death.

Posts: 2825 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

I've got a buddy that uses that store a lot to fill up. I'll pass the info along so he can be a little more vigilant and maybe to have him fill up in Ashland instead of his way through BD.

Sorry you got hit. I agree that they should die a long slow painful death.

I think my next few fill-ups will be at the little station on Kentucky Springs Rd, although not sure it's any better.

― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I use Elk Creek almost exclusively and I haven’t had any issues. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen though.

Posts: 2825 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My 13yo has a debit card that I pay his allowance and other monies on, through our credit union. Goal being to teach him responsibilities, etc.

Got hacked Saturday, luckily I teach him to keep most of his money in his savings account and it’s not linked for overdraft. I think it upset him, but the CU caught it and no money was lost. Still annoying.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

My 13yo has a debit card...

We have two credit cards, one is a back up. The primary gets hacked every few years and we use the back up until Chase sends a new one.

Is it correct that when a debit card is hacked the money is gone with no reimbursement from the company?

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The pumps here have large blue tamper proof seals around the card reader. I make sure they are in place or I dont use the pump.

My last cc jack was with a "shimmer" (not to be confused with a "skimmer" which is what your local pumps are guarding against). The "shimmer" is a small curved "card" that is pushed into the card reader and can capture enough info to make a slide card.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post