SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Yard needs rain
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yard needs rain Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
The lawn is dying as I type...
The grass in the cracks of the brick patio and walk is thriving however Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
I hear ya! I'm on the West side of Murfreesboro. We have sprinklers but we can only afford to water the yard just enough to keep it alive. The spots where the sprinklers don't quite get enough coverage have become more brown. I hadn't cut the grass in about two weeks but we managed some rain on Friday and some yesterday so I did have to cut it today.

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It is best to mow the grass on the highest setting so the grass shades the ground.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Does your grass go dormant when it gets too hot?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Central Arkansas is in serious need of rain. But down in the south end of Arkansas yesterday got 12 inches of rain.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
It has rained for 15 minutes at our house since the 1st of June.

We need rain, but it's getting toward that part of the year where I'm careful what I ask for...

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
86.4% of Texas is in a moderate or worse drought and I'm one of them. Overall, 2002 is the 8th driest year in the past 128 years for the entire state and 47th for my county.

We only got 1/32" off the tropical storm last week so it got worse.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Central Arkansas is in serious need of rain. But down in the south end of Arkansas yesterday got 12 inches of rain.

I am a bit east of Ft Smith. I have about 13 acres of mountain on the back of my property and all the rain we got this spring is still percolating down, so the back of my house has that, and the front is 7 acres, and the house sits down from that (between the back 13 and front 7), and the water from that is still keeping the ground hydrated, but the area up near the road is showing stress. I also have a large stand of 40 foot bamboo (about 300 x 100 yards) and several large shade trees, and all that is helping.

By this time in the Florida Panhandle, I would have "straw" for a yard. So, I am keeping an eye on how things work here.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
One neighbor mowed 25 feet over on me several years ago and killed my English walnut tree when the ground dried our.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

What is this rain you speak of? Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raining here right now and it definitely needs it.
Yards were turning brown and I haven't mowed mine in about 2 weeks.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thunderstorms with lightning and rain moving thru Indiana this morning, and supposedly several more times in the next couple of days.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Just north of Murfreesboro. My yard has given up completely, I'm not sure some parts of it will even make a comeback. What little rain the area did the last week seemed to miss us every time.

What's funny though is that I have a neighbor with one of those rotating sprinklers on a tripod. He waters every day, but never moves the sprinkler. He has a round section of lush green grass in the middle of his yard, with everything dead around it. I think it would save him money and look less odd if he stopped, but it's none of my business so I just chuckle to myself when I see it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Then water it.

I've started watering my front lawn twice a week now, 1 inch each time or it will get brown and crispy. I'm going to do this from now on from June - September every year.

The back can go dormant, but I'd like the front to look half decent at least.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Meh. I'm actually looking forward to not having to mow my yard as often.

The last several weeks' combination of 100+ heat indexes and a still-growing lawn requiring weekly mowings is brutal.

Once it starts to go dormant during the height of the summer, it may look uglier, but at least you can get away with only mowing it in the miserable heat every 2-3 weeks.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Meh. I'm actually looking forward to not having to mow my yard as often.

The last several weeks' combination of 100+ heat indexes and a still-growing lawn requiring weekly mowings is brutal.

Once it starts to go dormant during the height of the summer, it may look uglier, but at least you can get away with only mowing it in the miserable heat every 2-3 weeks.

This is where I'm at also.
Too hot outside, expensive gas and more.
My neighbor across the street has still mowed his yard even though it's barely rained in the past 2 weeks. Pretty much brown now.
Still have a 40% chance of rain the rest of the day per the weather app. The rain earlier today probably didn't do much.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
86.4% of Texas is in a moderate or worse drought and I'm one of them. Overall, 2002 is the 8th driest year in the past 128 years for the entire state and 47th for my county.

We only got 1/32" off the tropical storm last week so it got worse.

Hottest since 2011, I think.
We had something like 35 consecutive days >100* that year.
That was pre hwy 99 & there was a full fireworks ban that year, was shocked to not hear a single pop all night. Was worried about the huge grass field behind our first house catching fire from an errant rocket.

Just got my sprinklers fixed over the weekend & watering daily to keep the grass alive.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
That was pre hwy 99 & there was a full fireworks ban that year,
Our county judge said he can't issue a firework ban unless there is a disaster declaration. The one and only time that occurred was 2011.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
That was pre hwy 99 & there was a full fireworks ban that year,
Our county judge said he can't issue a firework ban unless there is a disaster declaration. The one and only time that occurred was 2011.

Wasn't aware of that part.
Last night was the quietest 4th since 2011. Heard a few but far from the usual WWIII that occurs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My point in the OP was an attempt at humor... to point out the irony... the unwanted grass in the joints of my >1,200 sq ft of brick patio and walk have to be sprayed to kill it or buzzed off with the weed-eater... while much of the desired grass in the yard is basically toast!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post