SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The sad but unsurprising state of the American college student.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The sad but unsurprising state of the American college student. Login/Join 
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Not deer in the headlights. But, dumber than a bag of doorknobs! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3792 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Just hand a youngster an old fashioned Analog watch and ask them to tell you the time.

Should be good for a belly laugh.

I gave my grandson an analog watch for his 9th birthday and he knows how to read it just fine. I'm biased but he does seem to be a little smarter than the average fourth grader. Bet he could lock a door as well if need be.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
I was in college from 1990-1995 and back then college students were so damn dumb it was astonishing. You know how many flats I changed, cars I had to jump for people that had the cables without a clue what to do with them, etc?

Slightly off topic, but I see you where in college from 1990-1995 and your location is Shenandoah Valley VA…Did you by chance go to JMU from 90-95?

Posts: 1701 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
No sir, Appalachian State

Posts: 13822 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
...he does seem to be a little smarter than the average fourth grader.

They all seem smarter then.

Then they hit the stupid wall somewhere around Jr High, sometimes a little later. Where the combination or public school, Tv (and now internet) and the bizarro world our county's become, combines to makes them idiots. Big Grin

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
...he does seem to be a little smarter than the average fourth grader.

They all seem smarter then.

Then they hit the stupid wall somewhere around Jr High, sometimes a little later. Where the combination or public school, TV/Internet and the bizarro world our county's become, combines to makes them idiots. Big Grin

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Look at their parents who hire everything done - housecleaning, lawnmowing, pool care, basic maintenance, etc. All the kids learn from Mommy & Daddy is call "the guy." They don't get the benefit of watching Mom & Dad do it when young, then working alongside Mom & Dad once a little older, and then doing it on their own with Mom & Dad available for questions.

I have two neighbors who mow their own lawn, but spend $100 every year to have their lawnmower blade sharpened and oil changed (we're talking 21" or 22" self-propelled mowers not tractors). I told them that it's $3.50 per year for a DIY oil change with Wal-mart lawnmower oil, and for $25 they can have a sharpening set-up (HF angle grinder, flap disc, clamp, and a balancer) that'll last 20 years. I even offered to teach them how to do it, but instead all I got was "why don't you do it as a favor?" I countered that I'd rather teach them how to do it and got deer in the headlights. Fine, take your blade off, bring it over Saturday morning, I'll sharpen yours while I sharpen mine, and I'll even show you how to change your own oil. Zero people show up (I suspect they don't know how to take the blade off and were too embarrassed to push their whole mower over), but they all had time to drop their mower off at shop for 2 weeks and fork over $100.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Next would be explaining how to set dwell and file down a set of points? Na!

You'll need to get them some doorknobs that work with a cell phone app and put the instructions on TikTok.

Posts: 9384 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

You'll need to get them some doorknobs that work with a cell phone app and put the instructions on TikTok.
Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Get some fake QR codes and paste them next to the knobs - the ones on the doors I mean, not the ones that can't open them.

Posts: 7506 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
These Gen Z’s make the millennials look like fucking all stars. Gen Z is the worst thing to ever hit the USA. It’s a plague on society. Helicopter/friend parents, little screens, and social media have turned them all into fucking dipshits. “You mean I have to exert effort and push a button to lock the door? Ohmygerd”.

With every post on here (mine included) that talks about this stuff, I’m just getting more and more motivated to move to the rural 5 acres I purchased a few months ago. Moving there is in my prayers 5-6 times a day. I want to get away from all of it. I mean all of it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next would be explaining how to set dwell and file down a set of points? Na!

Nope, they'd be 'deer in the headlights' wondering what a matchbook is! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
No sir, Appalachian State

Time to hijack the thread and mention I am a Troy grad. You guys gave us one of our only 2 losses last season. What a heartbreaker of a game. I'm sorry we are not scheduled this season, but maybe we can meet up in the SBC championship.

Posts: 788 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
...with a cell phone app and put the instructions on TikTok.

We have actually discussed this a couple times. Putting it on Youtube, then when we get them, just emailing them the link. But of course I like my job and need to justify my paycheck. Big Grin

I did make up little printed photo diagrams with instructions explaining the solution to this problem and a couple other complex issues like turning the key all the way one direction to lock it and all the way the other to unlock it. Roll Eyes Because if you go and no one's there, you can lock it for them, but eventually you'll end up there again. And I got tired of writing notes and drawing diagrams.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I was in college 40 years ago, and there were probably as many dummies then, too. One of my neighbors had a leaky sink. I casually mentioned that she could probably fix it herself by using some teflon tape and tightening it up. She just wrapped teflon tape around the outside of the leaking joint.

Many kids are used to dad and mom doing everything. And some are congenitally unable to think for themselves, and the mystifying push button door lock will defeat those every time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53226 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have drifted away from my original point. The t-shirt. When I saw it, like I said I knew what the problem was going to be. Because I knew what I was dealing with. But I also felt a little sorry for her. Young and stupid. This young girl, with her empty head and her heart full of what she thinks are good intentions. So easily swayed to give away her money (or her parents money) and donate to this group.

Not surprising or unusual. I'm used to it I guess? (or not) It's still disappointing to see them so predictable, so cliche.
I refer to the university in two ways. "The Stupid Factory." Or, The State Liberal Indoctrination Center and diploma factory.

posted Hide Post
Archie Bunker never answered the door.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I don't answer my door.
Anyone I'm willing to see knows not to knock on it.

But I don't ask people to come over and then not answer the door.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I had to write a letter to a officer of the Maine State Police a few years ago explaining my one criminal conviction back in 1978. (Which is now a misdemeanor) .. In that letter I wrote, "you have to understand I was a young man in college being stupid." I then had to apologize for being redundant.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Since I'm sitting here killing time, this one just showed up on my computer screen...

"The door doesn't work. The door won't lock. And even if it's locked, it automatically opens after a while."

"The door doesn't work." (Does it not fill the door frame? Won't swing?)

"The door won't lock.
And even if it's locked.." (wait, you just said it wouldn't lock?)

"..it automatically opens after a while." (You mean like ghosts? Oh I'm not going there!)

Big Grin