SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The sad but unsurprising state of the American college student.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The sad but unsurprising state of the American college student. Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
These kids haven't had to do a thing. It's not unlike how your body builds an immune system.

There are a lot of factors, but the workforce today is absolutely fucked. While I was still a contractor it was fucked, back when I was welding the interns we were getting showed the warnings signs. The bedrock is "everybody goes to college," then layered on top is participation trophies and more. The young people don't want to work or take instruction. A lot of sectors are suffering now, but the trades are in trouble. Immigrant labor will fill all of these positions, the ones AI doesn't eliminate.

Safe spaces and all this other dogshit, are building drones, not people.

I know several very intelligent, capable younger men/teens in our community who are planning to attend college but have no interest in anything they teach. I have broached the subject of higher education with them, trying to find out their ultimate goals, only to be told it's a necessary evil and that they don't really want to do it.

I sometimes mention considering a professional trade (plumbing, electrical, welding, etc) and almost all the time am met with an offended stare. I go on to explain that some of the most successful men I know are skilled tradesmen, have a great life and make good money. IMO society has done itself a huge disservice in trying to teach our kids to only pursue careers behind a desk, and that bill will come due sooner or later.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I know several very intelligent, capable younger men/teens in our community who are planning to attend college but have no interest in anything they teach. I have broached the subject of higher education with them, trying to find out their ultimate goals, only to be told it's a necessary evil and that they don't really want to do it.

I sometimes mention considering a professional trade (plumbing, electrical, welding, etc) and almost all the time am met with an offended stare. I go on to explain that some of the most successful men I know are skilled tradesmen, have a great life and make good money. IMO society has done itself a huge disservice in trying to teach our kids to only pursue careers behind a desk, and that bill will come due sooner or later.[/QUOTE]

--------=-----------------------------------------------

I Have over 40 years in the "trades", retired recently at 62. Auto repair takes an incredible toll on ones body. I am physically shot, I do not know of anyone in the field that is in the same condition as someone that has had a desk job that long. Let alone the fact that they are better off financially behind a desk.
When asked I will never recommend "trades" to some one that wants to be healthy at retirement.

Posts: 1358 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Live and learn. Governor Noem is running ads featuring the trades and mentioning plenty of jobs and an 80 grand salary. I never had the skills for a trade and did well with other things. I have friends that are machinists and plumbers. Sadly they live out of state. I never looked down on blue collar folks and had blue collar jobs prior to and during college.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The problem with working at a 'trade' is more often than not there is actually physical work involved a good bit of the time and sometime it is dirty. For some reason most folks it seems prefer to sit in an office all day ... then they pay a place to allow them to go in and 'exercise' in order to burn off the excess energy they got by eating and only sitting around all day.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The path to trades seems much harder in that youth can't find out much easily before committing.

For example, taking my son to a trades career fair, he was interested in becoming an electrician and talked to the union people at their table. They said he needs to come to the union meeting and start out working on power lines, climbing towers in serious storms and ice, and then he'll be respected and able to work anywhere. Zero mention of pay, career progression, or anything else when asked. The responses were basically 'be a real man and become a linesman.'

A local reddit group was more helpful and said the two big electrical contractor companies were needing people and to just show up and say 'I want to be an electrician.' They preferred people that didn't have any community college or prior electrical training.

Looking at the community colleges for trades, we recently heard from our mechanic about them. Six graduates showed up for jobs and they gave them each ten basic questions. One question was when you do an oil change, do you check the level manually or trust the computer to get the amount right. One graduate got one question right, the rest failed all questions. The point? They all were trained to follow a checklist, not think.

Some of the trades through community college at least look similar to the funnel for processing kids from public school to college to debt and questionable job options. So, how does a youth find the right path for trades?

Posts: 2376 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I sometimes mention considering a professional trade (plumbing, electrical, welding, etc) and almost all the time am met with an offended stare. I go on to explain that some of the most successful men I know are skilled tradesmen, have a great life and make good money. IMO society has done itself a huge disservice in trying to teach our kids to only pursue careers behind a desk, and that bill will come due sooner or later.

If I could go back in time to 17 year old me, I'd gotten into electrical or HVAC work.

Now 44 year old me is telling young people interested in the military to look into the Navy Seabees. After working with them in Jordan and learning more about them, this is definitely one of the more practical military MOSs.

https://www.necc.usff.navy.mil/seabees/ for those who aren't familiar.

Posts: 13280 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:

Some of the trades through community college at least look similar to the funnel for processing kids from public school to college to debt and questionable job options. So, how does a youth find the right path for trades?

I'm asked this on occasion, Don't know your location, he may have to relocate. Any apprentice jobs in large companies. Non union mining ( copper especially) they will pay you while you are trained for 2 years or so. Couple days in class and a couple days on site each week. The training centers are up to date and you get hands on. No college debt to deal with, go right into career that pays extremely well. These companies need electricians, pump and plumbing, mechanical, every trade.
No one listens to me though, so carry on and have him go to a trade school Smile

Posts: 1358 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:

Thanks, rizzle! We're near Des Moines, Iowa. I agree about the apprentice jobs and that's pretty much what he's looking into now. Trade schools nearby are out.

I'm asked this on occasion, Don't know your location, he may have to relocate. Any apprentice jobs in large companies. Non union mining ( copper especially) they will pay you while you are trained for 2 years or so. Couple days in class and a couple days on site each week. The training centers are up to date and you get hands on. No college debt to deal with, go right into career that pays extremely well. These companies need electricians, pump and plumbing, mechanical, every trade.
No one listens to me though, so carry on and have him go to a trade school Smile

Posts: 2376 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

If I could go back in time to 17 year old me, I'd gotten into electrical or HVAC work.

I have been telling people that lately too, that if I could hop into a TARDIS or other such time machine and go back to when I was just getting out of the Army at age 22 or so, I'd tell my 22 year old self to go to school to be a plumber, electrician or HVAC tech. Not chef school, which was cool and all but these tradespeople around here are VERY busy and make VERY good money.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, people will always need plumbers, electricians & HVAC technicians.

Posts: 9232 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Now 44 year old me is telling young people interested in the military to look into the Navy Seabees.
I joined the Navy and learned a trade. Anybody need any work done on your Regulus missile?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
1964 to 1968, ready to get out of the Army and put my Cavalry Scout training to use. Unfortunately, there were no more wagon trains to scout for so I re-enlisted.

I advise young people to learn a trade, get a job and a paycheck. Nothing wrong with earning an honest wage doing honest work.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7262 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I advise young people to learn a trade, get a job and a paycheck. Nothing wrong with earning an honest wage doing honest work.
This.

Too bad many young people these days feel entitled to everything and their free shit.

Posts: 9232 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
I know a college kid who gets up about 6am, reads his devotional, eats breakfast, works out about 6:45 for an hour, might eat again, goes to class for 9a to 12:15 has lunch, does some school work, goes to practice for 2-3 hours, has dinner, goes back to his dorm, does school work, takes a shower, reads his devotional, by this time it is about 10pm, . Next day repeats....That's not the "American college student" as some describe here. Not many can top that....But that's my college student!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14031 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to school with guys like that. Having some kind of social life is important for one's mental health. Collge is one place to learn that.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
I know a college kid who gets up about 6am, reads his devotional, eats breakfast, works out about 6:45 for an hour, might eat again, goes to class for 9a to 12:15 has lunch, does some school work, goes to practice for 2-3 hours, has dinner, goes back to his dorm, does school work, takes a shower, reads his devotional, by this time it is about 10pm, . Next day repeats....That's not the "American college student" as some describe here. Not many can top that....But that's my college student!

It needs to be touted as such, not every college student is brain dead, left wing, rainbow warrior, climate change, transgendered.....

We hear about the worst of the bunch and we see reports of teachers who are clearly preaching dogma from Rules for Radicals but it's not the whole picture.

Yes there are issues and problems at the university level, but there are plenty of silent conservatives in colleges, I was one of them, and only pretended to be left when there was some crazy left leaning coed that I wanted to get close to that would do crazy things with enough shots of tequila at a frat party..

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I find it hard to believe that they no longer learn cursor writing.

I don't see why cursive writing is such a big sticking point with older folks who want to complain about "kids these days"...

Consider the purpose of cursive writing, and why it became widespread:

A) It facilitated the use of quill pens and later metal dip pens, since it didn't involve picking up the point from the paper as much.
B) It was faster to write in cursive than print.
C) It was considered to be fancier/more professional than block lettering.

Point A) When was the last time you wrote with a quill or other dip pen?

Point B) There are very few people in the world who would be able to write - even in cursive - faster than a competent typist can type. And computers are everywhere these days, even in your pocket. Not to mention things like audio recording and dictation software as another technological alternative. There are few to no situations any more in which both a computer or other piece of technology isn't available and a writer would struggle to keep up using printed letters.

Point C) All professional writing - legal documents, legislation, business correspondence, school papers, etc. - is produced on computer now. And barring the dwindling numbers of folks who feel a hand-written letter is "more personal", even most personal correspondence is done via computers nowadays.

Therefore, there is currently little to no reason for kids to be taught cursive these days. It has gone the way of horse-drawn buggy driving. (That is: Still around, but very niche, and learning to utilize it is only necessary for those who want to be able to operate within that niche.)

Hell, I was part of what's likely the last generation that learned cursive in school, and you know how many times I've used it since I got out of school? Never. Unless you count signing my name, but "written signatures as identity verification" is also a concept that is dying (thankfully), and a printed name is accepted just like a cursive signature anyway, so there's not even an impetus there to learn cursive.

Yes, but that is the way we were taught, so . . .

I like to write in script, I like pens, and my handwriting is nice. But I am a dinosaur, and realize that is strictly a preference. There is no practical reason to write in cursive any more.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53226 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Luckily, both my college-aged grandkids are exactly the opposite of the OP's findings. My Granddaughter just got her MBA after going to school non-stop for the whole time, including summers. She worked part-time while doing it and made the dean's list just about every semester. My grandson is starting his sophomore year and worked all summer to make spending money for this upcoming year since his mother said she was not going to help him financially whatsoever. He put most of it away and will have a tidy sum for this year. As you can tell, I am very proud of both of them.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1895 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
At least I'm speaking their language this year, I spent about whole day taping "meme" like notes to doors, explaining how their door knob works. Roll Eyes (after finding out there was in fact nothing wrong with any of them)

The other, I guess societal thing that always makes me laugh is fashion. 80% of them come back dressed the same. It's strange to see on such a mass obvious scale. You don't notice "fashion trends" as much in day to day life, in stores or on the street. But when 15k people show up overnight all dressed alike, you take notice.
Slaves to fashion and whatever else agenda pushed on them.

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post