SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Athletes publicly worshipping Sky God
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Athletes publicly worshipping Sky God Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
These dim bulbs were trendsetters! Pioneers! Traiblazers, clearing the path for virtue-signalling phonies the world over!

Remember when you were young and a parent or teacher (not likely at all anymore) or someone else was trying to help you conceptualize God and Heaven?

God was always up in the clouds- an old, gigantic man with white hair and a long white beard, wearing a white robe and sandals. He sat majestically on a throne surrounded by angels. God was in the clouds, Heaven was in the clouds, the angels, St.Peter and the Pearly Gates, the whole magilla- in da clouds.

Hell was down below, of course, and Satan was beet-red and had horns and a long tail. He's got him a wicked pitchfork, too. It's really hot there, y'know, unless you're from the tropics, in which case, Hell would be cold for you. It's kinda complicated. Well, not really.

This image of the holy realm, the anthropomorphic God, Heaven up there, Hell down there- this is the stuff of children.

Heaven has no location and AFAIC, there is no Hell (notice, though, I still capitalize it. I ain't taking any chances) If you think God is "up there" and therefore somewhere other than where you are, you need to give it some more thought.

But, hey, I know that whether or not these virtue-signalling athletes understand this, they would still be pointing to the sky when they make a touchdown, hit a single, make a three-pointer, whatever, because it's not about honoring the Almighty; it's about being in front TV cameras and thousands of people. It's about that person only. This is not worship. This is not honor to God. This is about the ego of one person. Jesus would not approve.

Nevertheless, let us dribble well and honor Sky God with a false display in public. Because that's what it's all about. Point to Sky God while the game is in progress and all eyes are on you and He will reward you with a new contract with Philadelphia and a fat signing bonus.

Posts: 107241 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I believe it is from Acts 1:9 "Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
If it's all down to 'God's' influence when they hit a homer, score touchdown or whatever it is, how come you never see them shaking their fist at the sky when they fuck up?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Fear.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43802 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And let’s make sure everybody sees my gold cross/necklace too.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its engrained in us from early on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2SkqaCO9c4

Posts: 15839 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
What gets me is the “pray to God” bunch for everything in daily life.

Wife has/had an aunt that was of that ilk. We broke off all contact with her a number of years ago.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8065 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where does God go on clear days?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
What gets me is the “pray to God” bunch for everything in daily life.

Wife has/had an aunt that was of that ilk. We broke off all contact with her a number of years ago.
I love the getting the "I am blessed" posturing response when I'm simply trying to be polite.

Me: "How are you today?"

Sanctimony Central: "I am blessed."

FFS, you're an adult and you have not yet grasped the concept of exchanging amenities? I'm just trying to be polite before I tell you I need my tires rotated.

How about this instead? "I am Wormwood, personal assistant to Lucifer, lord of the underworld, ruler of demons. This coupon, I giveth to thee and command you do the bidding of his dark majesty..."

Posts: 107241 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
The corollary being "Have a blessed day". What happened to the annoying " Have a nice day?"

Posts: 17170 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might be the last John Lennon hold out.

[FLASH_VIDEO] <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aCNkPpq1giU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on guys you know God has nothing more to worry about than if Albert Pujols hits a double. It's comically stupid to watch that stuff happen.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm happy when I find a convenient parking space and thank God.

I understand the seeming irony of what may appear to be schadenfreude feeling especially blessed during the morning commute and passing by a terrible multiple care wreck and being thankful that if I wasn't unexpectedly delayed getting out of the house, I most than likely would have been involved.

But, as an adult, I came to believe a Prime Mover who created everything is also interested in my well-being as an individual as well as everybody else. I have seen His hand in my life over the years.

I can see how someone who believes in God and has the abilities to operate in professional sports or any endeavor would want to acknowledge that higher power. Especially in this day and age when religiosity is looked down upon in general society, I don't think it's an attempt to garner favorable public attention but giving credit where credit is due.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19577 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Rey- when I go bed and see the stars rise - I am happy.

When I wake and see the stars set, I am happier. Smile

Yet I still wonder, "what is still in between, and how long is it?"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
An issue I never thought much about, probably because I don’t watch many sports. I guess, though, that if I saw an athlete running around with his finger in the air, I just assumed it was a way of signaling, “Look at me; I’m number one,”: i.e., the same sort of display as those big foam fingers the fans have.

I don’t see such displays very often and have thought about them even less, but now it’s something else to ponder. My first thought is that “pray in private” admonition in the Bibles and how often it’s extravagantly ignored. But the most fundamental question to me was illustrated in a cartoon that would be offensive to many. It shows Jesus and the Hindu elephant-headed god in a violent fistfight after two little girls of different faiths pray for help in an upcoming spelling bee contest.

And it’s even odder when everyone involved worships the same god. If a horrible fatal traffic accident caused me to miss a flight and I therefore didn’t die that terrible day, what about the other 3000 or so people who weren’t spared? Was I really singled out for some special reason? Is it because I have the neatest lawn on the block? Was there no one else whose continued life might have contributed more to more people than mine? Yes, I know that the gods’ ways are inscrutable and not for us mortals to understand, but that’s just a way of saying, “Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense.”

Being an atheist makes it even more puzzling. Although I’ve experienced additional life “challenges” in recent years, I’m still more fortunate than 99.999…% of the rest of humanity that has ever lived, and have been my entire life. By the tenets of any religion I’m aware of I haven’t done anything so remarkable that I can take credit for myself to deserve that good fortune, so why? Why not all the other people who are far more faithful and worthy than I? (Yes, I know that statement is inviting the forces of karma to smite me down, so please don’t, but if it happens today that wouldn’t change the past 75 or so years of my life.)

If I were in a fight against the forces of evil, that would be one thing, but is the guy running down the field with his finger in the air saying, “Thanks, God, for making him lose and ending his career”? An enduring question.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47363 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Do you really answer prayers?

Jesus Christ: No. First of all, most of 'em don't even get through. I mean, ya got sunspots; ya got radio interference. Years ago we answered them all...but years ago, there were less people...and people prayed for something simple then- to light a fire, to catch a yak; somethin' like that. But today, ya got people prayin' for hockey teams, people prayin' for longer fingernails. We just can't keep up with it

(George Carlin- Interview with Jesus)

Posts: 21049 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pro sports is all bullshit now. I watch an occasional women's curling match now, that's about it. If I really feel the need, there's a local team I can watch in person for 10 bucks, with two dollar hot dogs. No tv cameras, no posturing. Or local high school games.

Posts: 17115 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/4YagdG36Xvs

I can’t get that to embed from my phone, but it’s pretty hilarious.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Matthew 6:5

For those of you not down with King James:

When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post