SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My county is raising our property taxes... as a result of the virus.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My county is raising our property taxes... as a result of the virus. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Well! The annual property tax statement arrived this week, including a form letter entitled "COVID-19's Impact on the Vehicle Valuations of 2021."

In short, they're claiming that because the used car market went nuts last year they're increasing taxes on our vehicles.

The rationale stated is this:
- In March of 2020, the Federal Reserve cut interest rates to near 0%. These unprecedented low interest rates, on both new and preowned vehicles, allowed consumers to purchase vehicles sooner than they would have in the past. A strong demand means higher prices.
- The "Covid-19" related closing of certain auto manufacturing plants for the necessary production of ventilators and other PPE caused a further reduction in inventory.
- Large fleet companies (e.g: rental agencies and car services) chose not to replace inventory, adding to the shortage of preowned vehicles in the market.

- - -

I get the whole supply-and-demand thing. I understand that market prices of used vehicles (not necessarily new ones) rose last year. I also understand that said increase means nothing to me -- I'm not selling my vehicle.

I understand the logic they're trying to use, but I'm not happy with it. From my uncomfortable desk chair, this looks like a money grab on the part of the county, for no good reason and with little recourse. They can blame it on the WuFlu (avoiding to some extent showing the county's own greed), and soak up the dollars. This county wastes money -- rather, spends it unwisely -- like a spoiled teenager. It's amazing how much the county has spent unnecessarily during the time I've lived here.

Too long, didn't read: County raises tax, blames it on the cooties, expects us to just roll over and take it.

I can picture this not going over well.

God bless America.

Posts: 13419 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Say what you will about California but one thing's for sure - we have Prop 13 to stop the state/counties from doing the same thing with our property taxes.

I really feel those living in states where their property taxes can increase 25% (or more!!) next year because "covid."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Defund Government should be the catch phrase of the year.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for you people in states where they make you pay property tax on things like cars, that’s just ridiculous

Posts: 33583 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Illinois for all of it's faults does not tax on the value of your vehicle. They screw us in a more traditional manner with high sales taxes and real estate taxes. Maybe tell them you wrecked the your car and it now has diminished value.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
diminished value.

I'm well-prepared to drive my 320k-mile truck over to the Commissioner's office and have a discussion with 'em. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13419 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
diminished value.

I'm well-prepared to drive my 320k-mile truck over to the Commissioner's office and have a discussion with 'em. Wink

Don't forget to tell them about the flood waters that it sat in for a few days.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Well! The annual property tax statement arrived this week, including a form letter entitled "COVID-19's Impact on the Vehicle Valuations of 2021."

In short, they're claiming that because the used car market went nuts last year they're increasing taxes on our vehicles....

That sucks. Here in West Virginia they tax personal property as well (cars, trucks, boats, campers, airplanes, and most insidious of all motorcycles. But they decided they shouldn't hit us up on the crazy increase in used values due to the pandemic, so personal property this year was valued the same as last year. I imagine they'll return to NADA trade-in values next year though.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7036 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Do you have county legislators, whatever they may be called? If so, find where their office is, make an appointment to see them, go in and let them know if they want to get reelected, the need to stop this shit. For extra credit, rile up your neighbors and getthem to do similar.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Back when we had Gov Doyle in WI I remember him saying, ‘we have to raise taxes, everything is costing more’. That’s just as the average wage earner’s income was flat.

It’s more of the same.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel sorry for you people in states where they make you pay property tax on things like cars, that’s just ridiculous

^^^^^^^^^^
In many states there is little to no property tax on residences and land. In return license plates have added tax. It actually discriminates against the poor. My property taxes were 600 dollars last year while a comparable property in Illinois would be close to four thousand.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Say what you will about California but one thing's for sure - we have Prop 13 to stop the state/counties from doing the same thing with our property taxes.

I really feel those living in states where their property taxes can increase 25% (or more!!) next year because "covid."

You're talking about real property taxes and the OP is talking about personal property taxes on the value of vehicles, two very different things.

California does have a tax on vehicles and it's assessed at registration time: Vehicle License Fee: 0.65% vehicle’s value

https://www.quora.com/How-does...ar-registration-fees

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, when I lived in MS then GA they were into higher tax on vehicle plates, at least MS. Drive a new Corvette off the lot, you’re gonna pay for that plate yearly.

GA wanted tax paid every year or two on RVs, boats & the like. One has to look at the total tax picture to compare.

The nickel & diming can get exhausting, back & forth on the boat or vehicle costs.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Not the virus, but the *response* to the virus has wrecked a lot of tax bases by shuttering former tax paying businesses and such like.

Around here you now see local cops writing up a LOT more tickets, revenue enhancement style, that they never used to do before. Presumably because their town givernments are screaming for money.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Michigan registration fees are based on The vehicle type, weight AND MSRP when sold new. Unlike some states there is no reduction in registration fees as the vehicle ages.

Before 1983 it was based on vehicle type and weight.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8065 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michigan registration fees are based on The vehicle type, weight AND MSRP when sold new. Unlike some states there is no reduction in registration fees as the vehicle ages.
So, if you buy a used beat-up Mercedes diesel, your registration fee is based on the MSRP when it was new and shiny?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30539 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
So, if you buy a used beat-up Mercedes diesel, your registration fee is based on the MSRP when it was new and shiny?

Yep. When we moved to MI the SoS charged us tax based on new MSRP. Kinda pissed me off being taxed on $30k vs. my Expedition's then current $3-4k actual value. Multiply that by two additional cars and a motorcycle, the newest of which is 2008. How the hell that's legal is beyond me but if I ever meet the author of the rule they're getting kicked in the balls. Repeatedly.

On top of that factor in no-fault insurance rates along with poorly maintained, pothole infested pavement and you get a feel for the joy of vehicle ownership in MI.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post