SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Selfies suck. Courtesy is not common.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selfies suck. Courtesy is not common. Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I don't get this need and urge to take selfies. I really, really don't. I can perhaps see wanting to at some destination like the Grand Canyon. But even, I'd rather have a pic of the view and not with me in it. Can you imagine a selfie version of the recent Badlands pic? I shudder at the thought.

So, my consternation is unbounded when people just take selfies incessantly - wherever they are, need to take a pic. And even repeatedly. That's just idiotic.

And words can't describe what I feel when they do this in locker rooms where people are showering and various states of undress. Seriously, WTF?

And then when you comment and ask for some courtesy, the response is "there is no sign prohibiting it" (point of fact, it's in the business policies document; do we need a sign for everything in the policies document for things that should be common courtesy?).

One of these days.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Many people are so small, shallow, and petty, this is one of the only things they can do to feel like they matter.

They still don't.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Everything is a backdrop for their massive ego.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I see it every day at the gym. Randys and Karens, they are never in shape. In fact they look like double burgers at the drive thrus are their primary source of food. They sit the phone on the ground at an angle and film themselves. Then snap selfies afterwards flexing their mash potatoes. I mean it would be funny but it’s disgusting. Even if they were even in the least bit in shape, which they aren’t, it’s still disgusting behavior.

A few years ago I took a chopper from Kahului over to Molokai and back. Was $450 a seat but if you had the hookup you could get the jump seat for $100, which I did. I didn’t take a single photo because I just wanted to enjoy the experience and take it all in. It included me talking the pilot into getting within feet of the tallest sea cliff in the world. Iao valley, humpbacks……There was a couple on board with an infant. Daddy is up front next to the pilot with the infant. Mommy is sat right behind him. She must have took over 100 selfies during the flight. One or two, OK. But over a hundred, no exaggerations. I had a headset/ear pro on to hear the pilot speak and you could hear the little camera click noise from her phone because she was mashing the screen so quickly. I was infuriated. Hold the thing up to the window and video the whole thing if you want but you’re taking 100+ selfies in this situation with all that beauty to see? Fuck me the world has changed for the worse. The smartphone and that got damn social media is just breeding got damn narcissism.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prefontaine,

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Sadly, they have even generated their own line of merchandise, to assist taking selfies. Like selfie stick.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I may ask someone to take a picture of us in a good location or use the timer feature to get a picture of us but the end result of holding the camera at an arms length and taking a picture is simply horrible.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't stand it either, seems like people want to take a picture of everything anymore.
I have 13 pictures on my phone and 7 are gun related.
Thankfully I'm not on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or anything like that. YouTube is bad enough most times with the Shorts. It's like an incessant need to be noticed.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I remember going on vacation, whenever we saw a group of Japanese tourists, we got the hell out of the way, because..all the cameras constantly clicking.
I don’t know that this is much different, except now, it’s everybody! And you can include yourself!

In all seriousness, though, I’ve had many photos I’ve come across (my own) where I’d forgotten about that moment. And it’s always nice to have that memory with you - or someone you care about- in it.

I hate selfies. Rarely take em. Maybe a group shot at the beginning of a family vacation (we made it!) or a special dinner/evening out, where I think I look esp nice.

My spouse knows I hate taking photos, and I actually have to remind myself to get in the shot so my son knows I was there (in later years).
But yeah,I hate going on vacation and having my view of the ocean ruined by some dumb chick making up a story about how FANTASTIC everything is, and how AMAZING she looks. Feels like I’m at a photo shoot that I never wanted to go to. I’m tempted to vid in the background and tack it on to whatever bs she’s posting. Swear to god, the hotel we like to stay at has recently become Mecca for this sort of thing. They banned drones years ago, I wonder if there’s a way they could ban this?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5318 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The duck lips selfie is gag inducing and indicative of idiocy. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The duck lips selfie is gag inducing and indicative of idiocy. Roll Eyes

It is for sure.
My one office girl is 26 years old and she has a photo tree on her desk. Every damn picture of her and her friends is duck lips.
She's a good looking girl too and I just wonder why she does it. Then I remember most people are dumb and vain.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:... I just wonder why she does it. ...

Permanent Adolescence.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I took a selfie just a few hours ago...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Hey, enough with the cat pictures. haha LoL. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Many people are so small, shallow, and petty, this is one of the only things they can do to feel like they matter.

They still don't.
I agree. The same reason people have to post "First" on YouTube videos or "I don't know" to questions about Amazon items.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Sadly, they have even generated their own line of merchandise, to assist taking selfies. Like selfie stick.

You're looking at it the wrong way.
It's used to assist others in beating the idiot with.
Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in front of the camera other than the DMV was my high school graduation 20 years ago. I loathe cameras and people that do nothing but take dipshit pictures of themselves in stupid situations.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

They still don't.

Be assured that a walk through the Ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
I remember going on vacation, whenever we saw a group of Japanese tourists, we got the hell out of the way, because..all the cameras constantly clicking.

Yeah but I’ll give the Japanese credit. They’ve got quite the kit usually, and they take it seriously. They aren’t doing selfies either. Japanese culture is very into cameras and photography. Been this way my whole life. It’s a big hobby for them and comparatively I’m fine and dandy with it. They are as serious about their photography as many of us with our firearms. Compared to these jackwagon fuck stick millennial type folks doing selfies on their phones I’m happy to help the Japanese take photos.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Selfies don't suck. Selfies are fine. It's the narcissists that suck. But they always have.

I can probably count on one hand the number of selfies I've taken. Of those few: I think only two were ever actually used: One time, when I was still on FB, I took a selfie after leaving the polling place, with an "I Voted!" sticker on my jacket, and posted it to FB.

A week or two back I swapped phone numbers with an on-line IT colleague in Finland so we could communicate via Signal Private Messenger. He sent me a selfie, so I sent one back. It is kinda neat to know what your virtual friends look like Smile

Selfies are like anything else: They can be useful and they can be abused.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I can’t understand the need for selfies either. I am guilty of taking pics of our dogs though. Cool

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post