SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Backpacks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backpacks Login/Join 
posted
I'm at the SHOT Show, which, needless to say, is a bit crowded. Ninety per cent of the people under forty are walking around with backpacks. After one day, I'm tired of getting smacked with these things and of people blocking traffic by unknowingly standing back to back. Why do they feel the need to walk around with all their earthly belongings strapped to their backs, instead of leaving their shit in the hotel room. While I'm at it, how about so-called "service animals". Why should someone , who's obviously not blind, get to walk around crowded indoor venues with a 120 lb German Shepherd, just because it's wearing a leash and a cute vest ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Actual service animal? Or "emotional support" animal?

If actual service, it's not necessarily a guide dog for vision impaired. It might be performing other legitimate services.

My wife (mental health professional) has a client who is performing some sort of role in training a service dog -- I did not get details so I do not know the exact service, but it is not a guide dog for blind. The client brings Zeus, an 11 month old GSD, to the appointments with my wife, apparently takes Zeus every place the client goes, probably to get him used to various environments. My wife tells me that Zeus is extremely well behaved, is a very expensive dog, and is not a fake "emotional support" animal.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Shot show will naturally attract the type of person who carries a bag that has shit in it.

Trade shows encourage people to take shit like literature, despite the invention of the internet.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with folks wearing backpacks at SHOT.

Carrying preferred food & water for a day of walking around. Storing all the swag that one can gather at SHOT. Hands free to handle new product. Better than carrying multiple bags of stuff.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stop defending these people! You're interfering with my curmudgeonly rant Smile .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
The backpack is for TRINKETS.

Any convention or show quality is measured by the goodies, swag (I.E. Trinkets) you can hoard/collect. If you need a backpack you are successful.

You're just encountering some of the really zealous trinket collectors...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

Trade shows encourage people to take shit like literature, despite the invention of the internet.

At SHOT, there's more than literature Wink

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
The backpacks used to be for trinkets, but now I think that they are more for information gathering, catalogs, etc. They do not give away as much from the floor as they used to give away.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What if it was a vendor who gave out those backpacks? Confused Wink

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Come on now...you all never heard of EDC Big Grin

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post