SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ammo Prices
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo Prices Login/Join 
posted
I'm certain that this topic has been beaten to death already but....It's spring break so time to take a short road trip with the family. Drove down to the Mansfield Reformatory where the Shawshank Redemption was filmed. Took a tour, had a great time. Decided to stop at Fin Feather and Fur on the way home looking for some 9MM AND .22lr. Most of the 9MM were jacketed target rounds. Most were in 100 round value (ha ha ha) boxes at $80.00 a box. I didn't see any .22lr at all, though for some strange reason there was lots of .22 mag. I'm assuming the other calibers were similarly priced. What's going on??? I could see someone making a fortune cranking out ammo. Why aren't there any new companies doing this??

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s not necessary to pay $80 for 100 rounds of 9mm practice ammunition.

The last order I placed for 1000 rounds of Blazer aluminum from SG Ammo was ~$400 ($40/100) including tax and free shipping. That’s far more than it was selling for three years ago, but I don’t expect prices to drop much below that. If they do, I won’t be thinking about its cost when I get around to shooting that batch.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Having a variety of calibers is always a plus.

For me, the 9x21 ($15/50) and 7.65mm para ($20/50) are where it is at.

You may be able to find ammo that is in lower demand that you may have something chambered in already.

I haven't shot anything in 9mm or 22lr in at least three years.

Posts: 9137 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember years ago people said the anti gun people wouldn't try to confiscate guns (There were too many of them) but would restrict ammo. Looks like they were right. I have the feeling that if ammo isn't available at an affordable price, new shooters won't be made. Handgun sales are doing great from what I can see. I guess the manufacturers are content to sell you a new pistol and don't really care if you fire it or not. What happened to the supply?? I don't think the hoarders can be blamed forever, you can only stockpile a certain amount. New buyers from what I've seen are buying a pistol for self defense and not blowing a few hundred rounds downrange every weekend. So, if the demand hasn't changed, what happened to the supply???

posted Hide Post
I have been buying from Freedom Munitions. Cheap as I can find it right now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16056 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the topic has been discussed many times. Throughout multiple administrations. Throughout multiple legislative scares. Throughout multiple cycles of metals shortages. Throughout multiple cycles of metals price fluctuations. I vaguely recall that a guy with the user name of parabellum has discussed when one should buy ammo.

There are many new gun owners in the past few years. New gun owners need ammo to shoot. Ammo hoarders continue to buy -- prices aren't as bad as they were in 2021. With covid restrictions ending, competitors who sometimes sat on the sidelines over the past seasons now need ammo & components for the upcoming season.

Many ammo manufacturers are increasing their capacity -- more equipment, more production shifts. Sometimes they struggle to find enough employees. Unfortunately, new manufacturing facilities built from the ground up are expensive, and require long lead times from planning stages to going live.

Plan ahead, check prices regularly, and shop on line. It's a long shot buying ammo in any quantity at reasonable prices from almost any local gun store.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack your thread MMSIG229, but I just got to tour the prison in July, 2021 and it was an awesome experience. The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie of all time and it was very cool to visit where a lot of the movie was filmed!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
Not to hijack your thread MMSIG229, but I just got to tour the prison in July, 2021 and it was an awesome experience. The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie of all time and it was very cool to visit where a lot of the movie was filmed!

Hi neighbor!! We're in Hudson. That was the first time we're been there. My 11 year old son sat at the warden's desk!!!

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MMSIG229:
quote:

Hi neighbor!! We're in Hudson. That was the first time we're been there. My 11 year old son sat at the warden's desk!!!

Damn, I live in C Falls. The pic I took at the warden's desk was my favorite!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Damn, I live in C Falls. The pic I took at the warden's desk was my favorite!

Chagrin Falls or Cuyahoga Falls??

posted Hide Post
9mm is plentiful in a variety of flavors for 400 per thousand.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack my own thread but...I was talking to a State Trooper from the Ashland Post. I guess they traded in their P226'S IN .40, to the P320 in 9mm. He liked the 320 because of the weight difference. Just before I retired from my old dept we did exactly the same thing!!! My 226R with a light weighed a ton!!! The 320 was much lighter.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Current ammo prices aren’t a problem for me. Several years ago, when CA proposed laws that would make on-line ammo purchases impractical, I loaded up on ammo, big time. 9mm and .380 (ball & SD). And .22 LR. My heirs will have to figure out what to do with the rest of it.

At the time I thought CA was screwing me. But in retrospect I see that they (unwittingly) did me a favor.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8917 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Natchez had Blazer Brass 9mm for $339 per 1k the other day.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Ammo Shop Online right now has Norma Brass 115 Gr FMJ for $323.80/1000 w/ free ship.

Q

Posts: 26310 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was in Atwoods (local/regional chain of farm store) and they had plenty of 9mm for $18.99 a box.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I was in Atwoods (local/regional chain of farm store) and they had plenty of 9mm for $18.99 a box.

Thanks for the tip Gene.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chagrin Falls or Cuyahoga Falls??

Sorry, Cuyahoga Falls. I forgot about Chagrin Falls.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hey 229, I grew up in Hudson. Dad used to help do the decorations on the clock tower and actually helped with cleaning the clock works when it was still working. Also had many a Milkshake at Saywell's. BTW, Saywell's actually had and used Tiffany Coca Cola serving trays and had two Tiffany Coca Cola overhead lights. Note, if you don't know about Saywell's ask an old timer, you'll get an earful. They had the best chocolate Milkshake on the planet and the key was the recipe for the syrup, a closely held secret that only the owner knew.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Fin Feather Fur is not the place to buy ammo. In the 12 years I lived in Cleveland, think I bought ammo there a handful of times. Plenty of on line sources at better prices.

They were a good source for reloading components tho.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post