SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who don’t realize that when you are buying something new, you can’t compare it to the “same” product 10/20/50 years ago.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who don’t realize that when you are buying something new, you can’t compare it to the “same” product 10/20/50 years ago. Login/Join 
Picture of reloader-1
posted
This is something that is just mind boggling. When someone is thinking about buying “x”, and the immediate response is “you will love it! I bought one in 1975 and it’s still working!”, or “nah, I owned a 1985 of that “same model” and it was a POS”.

Newsflash: the only similarities between those products is most likely the name and the company. The person is asking about the product today, not inventing a time machine to go back and buy one at the same time you did.

Here’s a couple examples: there’s a thread on the Lounge about an Italian boot brand, and someone responded that they still have a pair from 50 years back. Well, back then the damn thing was made by Giuseppe and Luigi by hand in Milan, not in a sweatshop in China. Good for you!

Or, when someone asks about buying a new car, say... the VW Golf, and the first response refers to owning one in 1982 and it sucked. Great! Cars have advanced a bit since then.

Products change, supply and production methods change, materials change, country of origin changes. Hell, we see that with SIGs and the “German” vs “US” pistols, but it’s much more prevalent with products that don’t have strict quality control.

There are exceptions, of course, but those tend to be ultra-premium/luxury brands (Porsche, Rolex, etc).

When someone asks for a recommendation or user experience, make sure that you are talking about the same product. Remember Abercrombie and Fitch used to outfit polar expeditions, not your local soccer mom’s brood.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am horrible about this but only for myself. I never recommend products or offer my opinions to other individuals because they usually backfires.

I am bad about this when it comes to TV, clothes, weapons, shoes, tools etc.. My old 27" TV lasted 28 years before it died, but I know these new flat screens won't last that long

I am usually complaining that they cost more than before and only last half as long.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Some brands remain true. Some brands retain equity despite prc dependence. Many brands aren’t worth loyalty or recognition anymore.

Those of us who are older and remember when quality mattered may be perplexed by modern society who have no memory of quality but were raised in shit prc products. That’s their norm.

Before, we had warranties that were never needed. Now we have warranties that are never enough.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember appliance repair shops. Radio/TV/toaster/electric fan/light fixture repair shops.

Need a part? 50 years ago, appliance repair shops had the part: Brushes, bushings, bearings, cords.

Now, we throw away the broken item in order to buy another P.O.S. made in China.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just had this conversation last week with a plumber who replaced our 35-year-old AO Smith water heater with a new AO Smith. My comment was along the lines of, I sure don't expect this one to last that long. The old was was running like a champ up to the day we removed it, but it had rusted out and was leaking all over the cellar floor so we had no choice. New one has a 9 year warranty, which I suspect is pretty close to the life expectancy.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Washers , dryers , almost any brand . When the companies found out that almost no one wanted to pay the price for a 15-20 year w/d set , they started making them at a price that people would agree to pay............ . . . .Then! People wondered why their machines only lasted 6 or 7 years. Roll Eyes.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
This is something that is just mind boggling. When someone is thinking about buying “x”, and the immediate response is “you will love it! I bought one in 1975 ......”

Like the Colt Python. The new ones just aren't the same.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
This is something that is just mind boggling. When someone is thinking about buying “x”, and the immediate response is “you will love it! I bought one in 1975 ......”

Like the Colt Python. The new ones just aren't the same...same with the S&W Model 19 Frown we now live another era with different mores

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I always thought the same thing. The Craftsman tools you inherited from your father, or grandfather, were made differently and in a different country, than what's been offered the last 15 years. Some things get better others worse.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I always thought the same thing. The Craftsman tools you inherited from your father, or grandfather, were made differently and in a different country, than what's been offered the last 15 years. Some things get better others worse.

I agree, but some things have definitely gotten better. Perhaps not the quality, but the design absolutely in some areas. Look at all of the tool inventions in the last 15 years...….from 1960-2000 there were relatively few tool inventions, just the same old sockets, rachets, open ended wrenches etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

I agree, but some things have definitely gotten better. Perhaps not the quality, but the design absolutely in some areas. Look at all of the tool inventions in the last 15 years...….from 1960-2000 there were relatively few tool inventions, just the same old sockets, rachets, open ended wrenches etc.

That kind of proves my point, though. Things change, so make sure you are talking about the same product when you make a recommendation.

For example, I’ve tried Proper Cloth custom dress shirts in the last few months and the quality is excellent, but that means nothing when someone asks in 2-4 years. Maybe they’ve changed suppliers since then, construction is different, stitching different, country of origin shifted... etc.

Conversely, maybe something was a POS a few years ago and new management has really turned it around. Make sure you are on the same page!

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Until Mopar comes back with the Slant 6, ain't nothing as good as it used to be.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slant 6. That’s funny. My Corolla 4 banger has more power and better fuel efficiency.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Slant 6. That’s funny. My Corolla 4 banger has more power and better fuel efficiency.

yet it's not as bullet proof. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drove the wheels off a corolla. I would take that bet any day. I would bet you take a corolla and anything with a slant 6 and run them the Toyota is going to win 9 out of 10 times.

It’s like I tell my kids. When I was their age we defined a good car as one that started MOST of the time. Cars are better now. Period. Unless we are just talking nostalgia.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
An example of this that comes to mind.

Any time Harley Davidson is brought up it's always they're under powered, leakin' oil, pieces of loud assed junk.

Newer Harleys don't leak oil. My 2016 bike with the stock 103 cu in twin cam engine has plenty of power. Runs good, shifts good, starts every time. Seems to be of above average quality.

Even my older bike with the 88 cu in twin cam with 80k on the odometer has been a good machine. Barring the issue with the cam chain tensioners that Harley neglected to mention.

Like night and day compared to a 1976 Shovelhead made by AMF.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I drove the wheels off a corolla. I would take that bet any day. I would bet you take a corolla and anything with a slant 6 and run them the Toyota is going to win 9 out of 10 times.

It’s like I tell my kids. When I was their age we defined a good car as one that started MOST of the time. Cars are better now. Period. Unless we are just talking nostalgia.

Cars by and large are better now.But a slant 6 will be running long after the others have become beer cans. So I'll take your bet.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post