SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Neighbors and fireworks damaging our car
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbors and fireworks damaging our car Login/Join 
posted
Damn neighbor and their use of fireworks! July 4th the one neighbor decided to buy big fireworks. All fine and dandy but one went astray and burned two spots in our one car. What a hassle!!! Now he at first admitted to wanting to make it right by paying out of his pocket if it was not a lot of money. Paint work ain't cheap buddy but ok. Told him the deal and now he is willing to pay part of our deductible! Listen here you cocksucker! Your fuckin fireworks damaged our car and your willing to pay part of our deductible?!

I'm waiting on our insurance company to set up an appointment with a shop to get a real estimate to give him. With any luck things will work out in the end but damn this pisses me off!

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Done went astray and burned two spots in our one car.

Ooohhh, no bueno! Mad

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely! Our Q5 got it

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm unhappy with one of my own neighbors right now. I'd be even more peeved if it were over something like damage from stray fireworks.

His kids have done that stuff in the past, but it's been a good long while. I don't miss picking up bottle rocket sticks from the yard.

Good luck getting it solved, sir.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell the proposed arrangement is fine and that you will cover part of his medical deductible when you kick his ass!

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
He owns his own home? Give your insurance his name, address etc and let them subrogate against his HO coverage, this way his liability should cover the damage and affect his insurance history.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Document! If this gets to small claims court, what do you have that shows that his fireworks damaged your car? Playing Devil's Advocate here. What if he changes his story to YOU were the one shooting fireworks or that he didn't shoot any that night?

If you get him to admit/agree to it in writing, there you go.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Seriously what and how would "Judge Judy" rule in this case if it came before her ??. Without undisputible proof of event happened as you claim then you just might be SOL. Present a offer to the neighbor with the understanding your next step will be to contact his H O Insurance Company by way of your H O Company to seek restitution and or small claims court and ask which avenue he wishes to go down. The only thing is if your H O company gets involved they might try and raise your rates because you filed a claim. Just make sure you have proof that it will stand up to verifing as the truth that he or someone in his immedately family was responsible and not some other neighbor. ... Wishing the best in a fruitful outcome. ....................drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have pictures of the firework exploding right in front of the car, but do have pictures of the powder and burn marks on the car. He has pictures too as he came over and took some himself. Fortunately we saw it go off from our living room window. But it could turn out to be a he said, she said deal. I have to wait until Tuesday when the body shop does the estimate.

I have not talked directly to anyone at the insurance company, it's all text and emails now. Once I get the estimate I will try to talk to an actual person and see what will happen. The body shop might be able to share some information on how things work too.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Did something change in PA in the past few years as far as fireworks? Growing up here and even until 5-6 years ago I never recalled the kind of artillery people are now shooting off in their backyards. Seems like much more powerful and bigger stuff either became legal or maybe just easier to get?

We’ve got some morons that won’t think twice about firing off some really loud stuff at midnight - 1 am around here and I’ve called the cops about this several times now.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
If you haven't done so already, try texting him about the situation (something like, "found out how much the repair will be for when your fireworks damaged it on the fourth, are you still able to help?) thereby getting his acknowledgement documented.

Don't accuse, don't demand, don't claim a "well you said" type thing.

Goal is his acknowledgement to the incident.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PA changed the fireworks law last year I believe. Can't be set off within 150 feet of houses and such, supposedly. Had I realized this then, video and a nice chat with a State Trooper would have occured then.

I will chat with him this weekend. We talked to our insurance agent and he said that we need to get our neighbors insurance information. I already sense a long drawn out process...

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:

I will chat with him this weekend. We talked to our insurance agent and he said that we need to get our neighbors insurance information. I already sense a long drawn out process...

Don't be surprised if he suddenly has amnesia and denies doing it in the first place.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The estimate came in just under a grand. He is supposedly talking to his insurance company. Time will tell...

Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
He owns his own home? Give your insurance his name, address etc and let them subrogate against his HO coverage, this way his liability should cover the damage and affect his insurance history.

This! yes, indeed.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post