SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pennsylvania And Their Sudden Love Of Roundabouts/Traffic Circles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pennsylvania And Their Sudden Love Of Roundabouts/Traffic Circles Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

7 Circle Roundabout
I would never be able to find my way out of there.

Clark is that you?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Washington county there are two roundabouts less than 100 yards apart.

Both roundabouts are double lane and I didn’t know if the right lane would be forced to exit. Made it through the first one and thought that want too bad. Then all of a sudden panic mode again for round two

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have some here, they are significantly better than 4 way stops for traffic flow, the thing is, the same folks that can't manage a roundabout are the same ones sitting at a 4 way and can't move because they can't remember the rules on who's turn it is...

Exactly.

Around here, they're being installed in place of 4 way stops for new construction, and certain older intersections are getting slowly retrofitted.

When it works, they work much better than 4 way stops for keeping traffic flowing.

When it doesn't work due to idiot drivers, it's no worse than dealing with idiot drivers at a 4 way stop.

So all in all, I'm in favor of them.

I especially like the ones that have a protected right turn/curve lane, so you don't even have to enter the traffic circle if you're wanting to take the first right.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^

Could be worse, when they put in a traffic circle in an intersection in Athens, Georgia,

The dumb shits left the stop signs up. Confused

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Roundabouts are just one more way that we can show we're as cool as Europe. That's all it is.

Intersections are just fine. They've worked here for 100 years. Aggravating at times? Sure. Worth spending tens of thousands (if not more) converting to a roundabout that nobody knows how to navigate? Nope.

They sure look cool though, and...well...that's important.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
it is not just PA,

it is damn near everywhere,

some suck, some make sense,

some are just a pain,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One other fun roundabout feature here in the Yoop: Finding yourself in it with a mining or logging truck which often squeezes you out of your lane!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
One of the first here is a double lane one. I would, and still regularly do, either speed up a bit, or more typically slow down, to avoid having a person enter the roundabout at the same time as me. Too often I've seen drivers lane drift and sideswipe another vehicle or turn out inappropriately.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking it was a way to get road funding here in MN as they've been popping up all over. The first few I encountered I hated, not because they were roundabouts, but they put them in poor locations (in my opinion no traffic control needed in those locations).

The newer ones have been great and work well as long as everyone knows how to use them.

Earlier this year I followed an elderly lady who took her time entering the roundabout (which I was reasonably OK with, I didn't want to see her get into an accident) only to come to a complete stop while she was still in the roundabout to wave a person on the right in Eek .

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Problems:
For some reason, they build a mound in the middle of it, restricting your vision as to who is on the other side of it.

They do that here too - I wonder if the reasoning is to make people slow down (as in I can't see what's coming, so I'd better slow down). Not that it works that way, we've got more than a few who like to see how fast they can go through them.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my neck of the woods they call them "calming areas". Not sure that they are properly named.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

7 Circle Roundabout
I would never be able to find my way out of there.

I think if you go fast enough, centrifugal force carries you out automatically:

Posts: 10909 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I treat the ones on Marsh Road here in Clermont like its's a chicane because they have low, sloping curbs. Kiss the right curb on entry, kiss the left curb at apex, kiss the right curb at exit. Results in nearly a straight pass through the roundabout. Done it at 50+ when no one was looking.

50 in a 15 will be a bit hard to explain if I ever get caught, though.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I don’t like them. You should see the rural ones. They always seem to have relatively fresh tire ruts going right through the middle.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

50 in a 15 will be a bit hard to explain if I ever get caught, though.
Sorry, officer. My hearing aid batteries are low and it's very difficult to distinguish between "fif-teen" and "fif-tee."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30643 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a local Facebook page here where they were discussing the merits of a roundabout at a particular intersection . One woman was complaining that she had a problem getting through it because " Nobody would let me in " .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trend here in smaller communities in MN seems to be replacing low traffic 2 or 4 way stops with round abouts - in the SAME FOOT PRINT as a traditional intersection... so now you have at best a 4 way yield that can only fit one car in it at a time. Absolute garbage.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
It isn't just Pennsylvania.

My Girlfriend is a Civil Engineer.

She has been working for two years replacing a bridge over an interstate highway.
It formerly had a complex intersection on each end of the bridge, entry/exit ramps to/from the interstate, and several surface streets (feeders) also on each end of the bridge.
Also a Park entrance/exit on one end.

The traffic flow through those intersections sucked, particularly when the local nearby community college is going full blast. 7AM - 9AM and 4PM - 6PM times are particularly bad.

What did they do on the ends of the new bridge over the interstate? Yup, you guessed it. Now there are two roundabouts separated by about one third of a mile.

The horror stories I hear virtually every day.
People driving the wrong direction around the roundabout.
People stopping in the roundabout while they try and figure how to get out of the roundabout.
People driving over the concrete structures in the center of each roundabout. (this usually results in the vehicle undercarriage getting ripped out of the vehicle, and then a tow truck)
As fast as the construction crews plant grass and lay down sod, people drive through it and destroy it.
Signs get knocked down every night.
They can usually pick up a pickup truck bed worth of vehicle plastic front valence panels and front air dams every Monday.

The local vehicle repair shops love the newfound business!

Since the project is a State Highway, the signage for the roundabouts is DOT compliant. The signs are HUGE and repetitive.
I am convinced the vast majority of all drivers are stupid fools and incompetent assholes.
DUH, FOLLOW THE SIGNS!!!
The local community college isn't helping much either, there are lots of the "younger generation" drivers.

I have to remind my Girlfriend about once a week, "You didn't design that clusterfuck, your job is to see that it's built according to the plans"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1529 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Our newest roundabout, and the best designed, with entering traffic forced to curve left then curve back right to enter at a tangent.

However, that stone wall around the big spurs has been rebuilt at least six times, that I know of. Running into it requires jumping 3 4 curbs. The highway where the roundabout is (US 93) is pointed straight at the spurs before you enter the roundabout. I guess some folks are too busy texting or sleeping.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Closest I've ever seen in the US is "Confusion Corner" in downtown Stuart, FL.

Confusion Corner

8 roads converging with a train track. First timers panic and usually end up going someplace other than where they intended, but honestly, once you get used to it, it's no big deal.

I imagine the Swindon roundabout isn't much different.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Even Bakersfield has a traffic circle. I couldn't believe it.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post